Forums

Topic: Switch Physical Boxed Games List & Release Dates (US & CA)

Posts 9,101 to 9,120 of 11,391

Belexes

RupeeClock wrote:

Axiom Verge 2 is launching today, so LRG will hopefully open physical pre-orders in the near future.

10/1 and they are releasing 1 & 2 on the same cartridge along with 2 independently. I didn't expect the combo. Decisions....decisions.

Edited on by Belexes

Belexes

RupeeClock

@Belexes
Sweet, I thought that they'd break the news pretty quickly.

But I didn't expect them to offer a 1+2 pack on a single cart. I think I'll actually buy that too in addition to the standalone, knowing that Thomas Happ will actually receive money for that publication unlike the infamous Badland Publishing version.

RupeeClock

Belexes

@RupeeClock I wonder if there will be Best Buy versions of both of these. If not for the combo, I will definitely get the LRG release. Good point on Thomas Happ.

Belexes

Magician

A preorder is open for Eastward on AmazonJP.

The Nintendo Japan listing confirms that English is supported.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B09CGHRVS9

https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000022883.html

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

RupeeClock

@MarioBrickLayer
I couple of things I ordered are intended as gifts, so with any luck they will arrive in time for Christmas.

RupeeClock

MarioBrickLayer

RupeeClock wrote:

@MarioBrickLayer
I couple of things I ordered are intended as gifts, so with any luck they will arrive in time for Christmas.

Ah! That's nice! Any avid fan will appreciate that!

I ordered Kamiko and Golf Story, I'm starting to build out my physical collection. I'm thinking the Switch might be one of the last generations with a significant physical catalogue, and there are so many great games, I can see myself still playing it long after Nintendo stop supporting it, so I'd like the physical games now as I imagine they will be expensive in years to come.

MarioBrickLayer

Magician

@MarioBrickLayer

Yeah, the Switch feels like the last bastion for collecting physical releases. All the major AAA games released these days (whether on cartridge or disc media) are little more than a license. Very little of the game being on the physical media itself, requiring you to download a bulk of the game. How many PS4 and Xbone physical releases will become paper weights when/if Sony and MS servers ever go offline?

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

RupeeClock

@Magician
The unfortunate solution to that is to hack the PlayStation or Xbox systems, so that they can read the data on the disc regardless of any servers going offline.
A matter of taking control of the hardware and software from the publisher or platform holder.

This is a big part of why I do favour physical media, and how the Switch physicals work, in most cases you have something that works on any Switch system without needing a game or system update.
Some cartridges contain Switch firmware updates that are occasionally necessary for the game to function as intended, but as we've seen from some publishers (commonly Activision), sometimes they only put partial data on the game card and require a download to fill in the rest. At which point yes the game card amounts to little more than a license, which blows.

RupeeClock

Belexes

Anyone plan on getting the 1st 'Mix Tape' from SRG? Looks to be a lot of freeware/shovelware slammed into a single cart. My guess is they had to limit it to 1,000 to get interest of collectors.

Belexes

MarioBrickLayer

Belexes wrote:

Anyone plan on getting the 1st 'Mix Tape' from SRG? Looks to be a lot of freeware/shovelware slammed into a single cart. My guess is they had to limit it to 1,000 to get interest of collectors.

I thought it was a USB stick for PC rather than a Switch cart?

MarioBrickLayer

Magician

@Belexes

It's a USB drive, not a Switch cartridge.

Hard pass.

RupeeClock

I'm also passing on the Super Rare Mix tape.
I agreed that preserving digital PC games like these are important, but there has to be a better way than throwing them onto a thousand cassette shaped USB drives.
PC is a very open system compared to consoles, you don't typically have to circumvent protections or find alternative methods of loading or running such games, especially not small indie share-ware like download hobby software.

RupeeClock

MarioBrickLayer

I wonder if it's worth creating a list of every game which is 100% on the cartridge?

I think most first party games have been patched.

Are patches included in save data which you can backup?

MarioBrickLayer

Belexes

Magician wrote:

@Belexes

It's a USB drive, not a Switch cartridge.

Hard pass.

Oh, good lord. Really? That's terrible. I'm out.

Belexes

Magician

MarioBrickLayer wrote:

I wonder if it's worth creating a list of every game which is 100% on the cartridge?

I think most first party games have been patched.

Are patches included in save data which you can backup?

Patches are usually saved where the games files are saved, either on the sd card expansion or the internal memory. To my knowledge, patch data doesn't mingle with save data. Any Switch cartridge that has been post-patched (which is a majority of them) has the potential to run less than optimally when/if Switch serves are ever taken offline. There are more than a few Switch cartridges that will become paperweights at that point; Starlink, Wolfenstein II, L.A. Noire, etc.

System Settings -> Data Management -> Manage Software

Scroll down. The games with 0.0 MB of space taken are your games with zero post-patching. Assuming you've played the game recently? Even physical-only games like Razion EX have been post-patched, sadly.

Of my 778 games, only 380 have zero post-patching, although I haven't play many of them recently so it may be fewer than that.

RupeeClock

Ori: The Collection has been listed on retailers such as Gamestop (US) and GAME (UK).
https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/products...
https://www.game.co.uk/en/ori-the-collection-2864806

GAME has has some other listings of interest like Gris, and TY the Tasmanian Devil.
https://www.game.co.uk/en/gris-2864898
https://www.game.co.uk/en/games/ty-the-tasmanian-tiger-hd
Unfortunately with Ty it remains that the second game is only available as a download code, but you have the option of buying the physical release of the first game alone.

FDG Entertainment have also confirmed that Collector's Edition of Monster Boy, which will have 4999 Switch units and 1020 PS4 units, will have all updates on the cartridge.

Edited on by RupeeClock

RupeeClock

Paraka

@RupeeClock - Bith the Ty and Monster Boy news bits has me pretty bitter.

Paraka

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic