Forums

Topic: Switch Physical Boxed Games List & Release Dates (US & CA)

Posts 11,481 to 11,500 of 11,512

Magician

Sure, XSEED are publishing Ys Oath in Felghana in the west, but they still can't be bothered with Trails in Cold Steel I & II? So mad I could spit.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,274 games (as of July 10th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Magician

Here I've been waiting all this time for the Ys X limited edition...

...and all I can think is, "I don't need a backpack."

Instead I suppose I'll throw down a preorder for deluxe edition after work today.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Magician

Red Art Games summer sale. Everything I had been waiting on a sale for was opted.

https://www.redartgames.com/38-summer-sale

Teksetter

Magician wrote:

Ys X limited edition:
"I don't need a backpack."

I didn’t exactly need a mini-backpack either, but I preordered from Japan last year anyway. The game is pretty good so no regrets there, though the backpack is tiny! It’s the size of a fanny pack but you can’t wear it as such.

July is a busy month for games in Japan, probably because it’s summer vacation for the kids. I ended up preordering a few titles to hopefully ship with my Nintendo Championships Famicom Special Edition later this month:

Schim (pronounced “skim,” that shadow-hopping indie game),
Ace Combat 7 (since no physical release in NA, apparently),
Bō and the Moonlit Lotus (not sure of English title; nice-looking yōkai platformer),
and finally,
Omega 6 The Triangle Stars: the Black Whole Box edition (sci-fi adventure/GN by Takaya Imamura, artist of Star Fox, F-Zero, and Tingle fame, so I expect it will be a slightly off-beat story I’ll enjoy).

Hopefully with that, I’m done preordering for a while. I’ll just need to reserve copies of Astral Ascent and Atari 50 Expanded Edition in the near future.

Switch FC: SW-5760-3019-8223
(player name is Beesh)

Hamstrman

@Teksetter I wish Schim was in English. It looks really cool.

Is Nocturnal a soulslike or a soulsborne? I see it says action platformer, but I don't love soulslikes. Just wanna check before I order it.

Hamstrman

Teksetter

@Hamstrman
Schim is listed on the Japanese eshop as having like 12 languages, including English. My guess would be the physical release there will have the same language options, unless you've heard differently?
I'm fine either way - I play Japanese titles often, and I doubt this shadow-skipping game will be heavy on text or dialogue anyway.

I forgot about Nocturnal! I thought it looked pretty interesting and moved nicely, beating back the darkness with your burning sword. I haven't played it, but from what I've read, it's an action platformer with some light puzzle elements. It doesn't seem to advertise itself as having punishing soulslike difficulty.

(player name is Beesh)

RupeeClock

@Teksetter
It's not the first time that there's been a physical release that removes a language option, because another release in another region was snapped up.
This happened with One Step From Eden, the Asia region physical release had English language (and only English language) removed because of Limited Run Games.

The situation has me speculating that LRG will be publishing Schim.

RupeeClock

Teksetter

@RupeeClock
Yes I’ve seen English omitted or removed from Japanese or Asian physical release in the past, allegedly so LRG or whoever distributes the game later in the West gets better ROI. Recently, Assault Suit Leynos 2 was advertised with English at first, but did an about-face not long before release, about the same time Red Art Games opened up preorders. Hmm…

(player name is Beesh)

RupeeClock

@Teksetter
Yeah, it's a dodgy practice that I don't care to see.
I recall that for One Step From Eden, the physical cart does have English language support on there, but installing an update will remove that option. I don't have the cart to confirm that any more though since I gave it away after getting the LRG version.

Whenever browsing Play-Asia pre-orders I keep an eye on language options.
Rabi-Ribi is finally getting a Switch physical release after LRG gave it PS4 and PS Vita physical releases many, many years ago.
Play-Asia's initial listing didn't state it to be multi-language, but it now does and lists English among them.
https://www.play-asia.com/rabi-ribi-platinum-edition-multi-la...
https://www.play-asia.com/rabi-ribi-platinum-edition-multi-la...
Interestingly, the Asia region release states that French, German, and Spanish languages are supported whilst the Japan region release does not.
LRG having previously done physical releases for Rabi-Ribi is no guarantee that they'll do the Switch release. They did not do a Switch release for Nightmare Reaper, for example. That was Super Rare Games instead, whilst LRG did the PS4 and PS5 release.

For SCHiM specifically, the Japanese release is listed as only supporting Japanese, Chinese, and Korean languages. Items listed as multi-language do not necessarily support English so it is worth paying attention.
https://www.play-asia.com/schim-multi-language/13/70h57n
For a game like SCHiM which I don't expect to be dialogue heavy, it should be fine to play without English language.

RupeeClock

Teksetter

@RupeeClock
“Dodgy” is a good word to describe that practice of scrubbing English from Japan/Asian releases. “Sketchy” is another way to put it. The sad thing is, there are English speakers in those regions who’ll have to import games from NA or Europe when they could have just bought locally.

As bad as navigating all these multi-region releases is, though, I remind myself to give thanks for the lack of region-locking on Switch. Having full access to physical, eshop, and even NSO games from Japan is pure bliss!

(player name is Beesh)

RupeeClock

@Teksetter
As I recall, the region for certain Asia region releases with English language support being produced, is because of Asian countries like Singapore.
Poor internet connectivity in some parts is also why they do data complete releases, such as Final Fantasy X and X 2 being complete on-cart instead of making the second title redeemed via a download code or update.

RupeeClock

Teksetter

@RupeeClock
That sounds right to me — I think English has become a kind of lingua franca in some parts of Asia, so including it in the language options makes marketing sense.

As for on-cart completeness, it's so aggravating that devs cut corners and leverage the internet service of those people fortunate enough to have it, rather than reduce their margin fractionally to just print the whole game/trilogy/collection on the cartridge in all regions.

My first and most memorable run-in with this was The Banner Saga Trilogy physical release, a game I really wanted to try at the time, which only included the first game on the cartridge. I never bought it for that reason.

(player name is Beesh)

Magician

Mushihimesama secondhand prices about to go cray cray.

As if LRG-release flipping wasn't ugly enough already.

Teksetter

FWIW, LRG's counterpart in Japan, Superdeluxe Games, has Mushihime-sama physical standard and deluxe editions up for preorder right now in Japan, with an Aug 29th release date. It's listed as having English, too.

Maybe that will keep price gouging down for the summer, at least.

Edited on by Teksetter

(player name is Beesh)

RupeeClock

@Teksetter
Capcom had been one of the worst for this, with their physical releases of the legacy collections for Mega Man and Mega Man X.
The second volume was a pack-in download code for international physical releases, although there are separate physical releases for Rockman X Legacy Collection volumes 1 and 2 in Japan.
Infamously however, they only did a physical version of Rockman Legacy Collection volume 2 as part of a 5-in-1 special Rockman box (which includes Rockman 11).
This is the only way that Rockman 9 and 10 have ever been available as a physical release in any form, this box set sells second-hand for a lot of money now.
I was fortunate to get mine at retail price from Amazon JP.

In any case, the decreasing costs of flash memory is why publishers are now more willing to go for 16GB or even 32GB carts without requiring mandatory downloads for the other titles.
At the very least, they'll entertain doing an on-demand physical release such as through LRG. Bigger publishers like Konami, Ubisoft, and Bethesda have been doing just that.

As for Mushihimesama, it sucks to see this one get digitally delisted after it was inaccessible internationally for so very long. I have my LRG physical of that, but at least Superdeluxe Games is doing another print.
Maybe that's part of why it's getting digitally delisted, though...

RupeeClock

Magician

Hmm, was happy to see all of Wargroove 1 on the Wargroove 1 + 2 double pack.

Looks as though Wargroove 2 continues to be updated?

Win some, lose some...I guess.

Hamstrman

RupeeClock wrote:

LRG having previously done physical releases for Rabi-Ribi is no guarantee that they'll do the Switch release. They did not do a Switch release for Nightmare Reaper, for example. That was Super Rare Games instead, whilst LRG did the PS4 and PS5 release.

This confounds me. I know I've inquired about this once before. Games like Unbound: Worlds Apart and Zapling Bygone are all I can think of currently that I wanted previously.

But I just saw Protodroid Delta, Fearmonium, and Planet Cube: Edge get PS release announcements physically when they exist on Switch and I don't understand why. Do the sales numbers for these games on switch suck? Is Rabi-Ribi hope that these games might get physical releases in the future (until Switch 2 comes out, I guess...)?

Teksetter wrote:

@RupeeClock
As for on-cart completeness, it's so aggravating that devs cut corners and leverage the internet service of those people fortunate enough to have it, rather than reduce their margin fractionally to just print the whole game/trilogy/collection on the cartridge in all regions.

My first and most memorable run-in with this was The Banner Saga Trilogy physical release, a game I really wanted to try at the time, which only included the first game on the cartridge. I never bought it for that reason.

The Spyro "physical" collection takes up so much space on my girlfriend's Switch. I finally caved and bought Life is Strange Arcadia Bay Collection despite the second game being download only. And don't even get me started on the digital download in a box release of Power Wash Simulator ONLY for Switch. Every time it gets a DLC update I get mad all over again.

I wish I knew why these weird decisions got made.

Oh, and BTW, does anyone know why my NintendoLife profile shows I've only made 3 comments ever on this site, when my notifications show at least a dozen people replying to comments I made that aren't even on that list of 3?

Hamstrman

MarioBrickLayer

Hamstrman wrote:

Oh, and BTW, does anyone know why my NintendoLife profile shows I've only made 3 comments ever on this site, when my notifications show at least a dozen people replying to comments I made that aren't even on that list of 3?

Comments are on articles, the posts tab shows forum comments/posts.

MarioBrickLayer

Hamstrman

MarioBrickLayer wrote:

Hamstrman wrote:

Comments are on articles, the posts tab shows forum comments/posts.

OMG I didn't even see that tab on mobile! I had to scroll over. Thank you so very much!

Hamstrman

RupeeClock

So turns out iam8bit are doing a US physical release of SCHiM, shipping October 25th 2024.
https://www.iam8bit.com/collections/schim/products/schim-nint...
Whilst the page doesn't state languages, it probably has English language support.
It's an "iam8bit Exclusive Edition" so I'm not sure if that means "only avaialble through our site", or "You can go find this on Amazon later".

A little annoying considering the Japanese language release is next week, July 18th.

RupeeClock

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic