Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 2,301 to 2,320 of 4,146

Madao

@echoplex I am not getting my hopes up. I think it is most likely fake information attached to real information. Even the part where they translated it, I don't really believe, could very well all be smoke and mirrors to make tracking them down harder.

Madao

MarioBrickLayer

If this is correct, the worst case scenario is it means the Switch 2 is not natively backwards compatible with Switch 1 games. MVG has talked about this on various podcasts. If every game needs to be patched to work with Switch 2 then some 3rd parties probably won't bother.

MarioBrickLayer

skywake

@Madao
Honestly, it kinda tracks with what I've been saying here for a while now. At least in terms of how this "generation" transition should work in a technical sense. Basically native backwards compatibility with the possibility of updates/patches to allow existing games to take advantage of improved specs. Also the timeline makes a fair amount of sense. Really, if it wasn't for them nailing the other bits and pieces if could've just been ripped from any number of posts I've made in this thread

The only thing that makes me doubt it is that we're talking about GameFreak releasing a patch that improves the game experience. Which doesn't really track......

@MarioBrickLayer
I think that video from MVG has been taken way too literally. Of course I'm not a game developer and I'm certainly not a developer for Switch hardware so I'm sure he has some insights that I don't. However as a developer of software that is not games I do know very well that there is one almost universal truth about software development. Just about anything can be done, it's just a question of time and money. And in this case we're talking about Nintendo, NVidia and leveraging the library of a platform that's moved 120mill units so.... I think there's the financial motivation and human resources there to resolve this problem

I would imagine that for the differences that will exist between the two micro-architectures there could easily be a fairly light translation layer or legacy driver mode for games that don't get a performance enhancement patch. Then for games where the developer does want to go back they can drop an enhancement patch on the eShop that downloads as if it was a regular game patch

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MarioBrickLayer

@skywake You may be right. The video I'm thinking about MVG speculated about how backwards compatibility may work, based on his game development experience. I think he recently worked on the Quake remaster? Anyway, he outlined a number of ways it could be done, the best consumer option seemed to be putting a Switch 1 chip in the Switch 2, making every game work without issue. Another option he mentioned was patching every game.

I'm thinking worst case based on the comments in the screenshot etc, but if a developer is saying they are working on a patch for a existing game working on the Switch 2, that may mean without developer input no Switch 1 game will work on the Switch 2. I'm not a developer (but have worked around system development - not games - for a long time) and I have no insider knowledge so this is just speculation, but that set off the alarm bells for me. Hopefully I'm wrong!

MarioBrickLayer

skywake

@MarioBrickLayer
My main thought is that Nintendo and Nvidia aren't stupid and they're building this platform from the silicon through the driver to the OS, API and tools. With the previous platform being a mega hit and the new platform, preaumably, being fairly similar in terms of architecture. I don't buy into the idea that backwards compatibility is a lost cause or something that would involve effectively porting existing games

Games not automatically being able to take advantage of new features makes sense for sure. Games would have been built with specific targets and specific optimisations and tweaks for those targets. So performance enhancement patches seem almost certain. However I would also expect some sort of Switch compatibility mode could be worked out given they have the resources, the financial motivation and the ability to control the design of the entire stack

Edited on by skywake

MarioBrickLayer

@skywake I would be shocked if there wasn't backwards compatibility, it would be a huge mistake on Nintendo's part in my opinion. But from what I have seen/read (50% MVG) my impression is that it's more complicated than what most people think.

You're right to call out that there is a difference between a game working on the Switch 2 and it being able to utilise the additional power etc. Games with dynamic frame rates etc may look better without any work, whilst other may need major patches to take advantage - who knows!!

MarioBrickLayer

FragRed

@skywake @MarioBrickLayer I totally agree, I’m sure from the very start of development of the Switch successor one of the top priorities was to make sure it had backwards compatibility. It’s obviously going to be based on similar architecture as the current Switch. It may not be the same as how Xbox Series S/X does which I think allows some games to run better but instead could be like the PS5 which plays the games pretty much exactly how they performed on the PS4. But either way I don’t see Nintendo not doing it. They’re usually pretty good at backwards compatibility with handhelds.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Magician

"In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes."

-Benjamin Franklin

Nintendo could pivot away from b/c so hard that folks around here will suffer whiplash.

Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

FragRed

@Magician Don’t you dare put that this out there and give Nintendo ideas to make us all pay again for ports.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

SwitchForce

I think the game is backward compatibility not doing so is shooting themselves in the feet. What would be the case is like the 3DS to NEW 3DS XL games cart factor not with the notch on the cart. But that the software will be updated so it can play on the performance version vs the standard version. And if one was to use the 4k version game on standard the software on the cart would either have both versions installed and only running the standard or when used in the Switch2 would the 4k software kick in or they download updates to run in 4k for Switch2 unless the game had the 4k software installed on it. That would be what I expect they would plan for. And if it come out holiday 2023 Xmas I be more surprised. That to would give developers the most options to use.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

FishyS

Being back-compatible or not might be equivalent to 'is the next thing a Switch 2 or something totally different'. If it is similar to a high-powered Switch, it would be very disappointing if it can't run our current library. But if the next console is tv-only, uses huge Blue-Ray disks, and can only be controlled by power-gloves and eye-movement, then clearly we are back to port-land.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

skywake

@FishyS
This is definitely the reason why the Switch lacked it but even in the Wii U -> Switch transition Nintendo made a point of creating tools to ease that transition. IIRC it was basically the only thing they talked about when they announced NX. Which is one of the many reasons why Wii U ports on Switch were so free flowing

I don't see how a company who did that doesn't consider BC this time around. Why sell a game for one of your platform when you can sell it for two? If they do BC we buy into this new platform that already has Smash, Kart, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon on day 1. If they don't it has like.... ARMS 2....

TheBigBlue

That rumour is hilarious. This person correctly listed everything at that Pokémon Presents, well, correctly. But the switch thing? That’s rich. Still, I will believe it when I see it, and the last 5 years that people haven’t shut up about it, or said it was coming, is that about to change? We’ll see.

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

Ulysses

@skywake Ironically, I find the claim that an outsourcing company working on the graphics enhancement patch is more believable than the idea of GameFreak themselves working on it xD

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

SwitchForce

All we have to do is look at Witcher 3 and whom ported it to the Switch complete game on cart .

SwitchForce

Magician

I'm excited at the prospect of new hardware coming as early as next year.

But giving unwavering credence to a 4chan post is folly.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

SwitchForce

Well read and saw online Winter 2023 is a New Switch with S&V DLC2 enhanced graphics update for standard and enhanced Switch model. So this all but confirms something is coming and could be the TOTK Switch is the model as the news is the Leaker of TOTK pictures been banned and most likely Fired for exposing the model.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

FragRed

@SwitchForce I’m always incredibly skeptical of any YouTuber when it comes to rumours. I don’t know who these people are or anything about their previous accuracy.

I’m also unsure what you’re trying to say about the TotK Switch model. Are you saying it’s the next Switch? Because that would suggest it’s launching in May but you also say the new system in launching in Winter. I’m a little slow so I just want to make sure I understand everything.

SwitchForce

@FragRed You can deny much as you want but there are too much info that it's can't be just spoof or my uncle works at Nintendo. That TOTK could be a launch in Winter model but since the leaker or close leaks were closed off by Nintendo Ninja one has to wonder why now.

SwitchForce

skywake

@SwitchForce
The leak seems legit, those youtube vids discussing it are..... full of hot air and not worth your time

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic