Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 4,146

PSVR_lover

We will see a more powerful Switch someday. I myself would put coprocessor chips in the dock.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

gcunit

My dream is that the next Switch is a solid upgrade, with a 1080p or even 4k screen, for the benefit it will bring it's VR resolution, and the new Mario Kart and Mario games will have substantial VR modes accordingly.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

StuTwo

skywake wrote:

Other than the silicon shortage and pricing, both of which will become non-issues over time, what's technically stopping Microsoft selling a portable XBox? ..... not a whole lot

Agreed - the only things that might stop Microsoft would be marketing reasons moreso than technical reasons. I can definitely see an "XBox Series P" at some point (although I think Microsoft will pitch it at the high end - more as a response to the Steam Deck - and not necessarily as a device pitched to sell 10 million or more units).

Now, Nintendo still has its own niche so I think they're not going to be too concerned about that prospect. But I do think they would want to close that space a bit in the medium term. Nintendo can still be cheaper with their own strong IP and with a device that is smaller and with a longer battery life. That's a solid niche. But there will potentially be much more options opening up for decent portable gaming. Great for consumers, not so great for Nintendo's monopoly in this space

Ultimately Nintendo has bought themselves time with the success of the Switch but that's all that they've bought. The "big lake" they currently dominate is not sustainable long term and I completely agree with you that a smaller device with a longer, better battery life is a niche they can defend (but it's not enough on its own to sustain a company of Nintendo's size and output).

Whatever they do though they need to ensure continuity with the eShop (and to improve the eShop navigation). Now that the eShop hosts most of the big series in gaming (if not always the best and most recent entries in those series) it's incredibly valuable. A rival format starting up from scratch would probably find it near impossible to get good representation from all of those big series in their store. The eShop is the actual Nintendo platform now - the Switch/Switch Pro/Switch 2/Switch 3 etc. are just vehicles for its delivery.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Eel

Handheld systems are usually on the wrong areas of the “power/price” chart (the areas most people who want the Xbox experience avoid)… It’s most likely not really worth Microsoft’s time to invest in developing a dedicated handheld gaming console, when they could focus on other things (and let people rely on windows, tablets, and phones for their mobile needs)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

PSVR_lover

Kayvoo wrote:

@SwitchForce
"The only change would be a Lite OLED to keep up but that's about the only surprise development."
That would literally be the least surprising development. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo convinces us to buy a shire horse controller or AR mushroom picking, given their track record. I would be disappointed if they play it safe again with their next main console.

I don’t think you will ever see it. A Switch Lite is made to be inexpensive and OLED is not cheap.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

JaxonH

@gcunit
I seriously doubt Nintendo will pursue VR, especially if it means higher system cost and works directly against the core experience

I get there are diehard VR fans out there but it's a small market. And even within the small market there's a lot of competition. The VR labo kit selling 1m is a pretty good indicator of the overall interest.

4k screen on a Nintendo handheld designed to be cheap isn't feasible cost wise, and would make games look worse, as it wouldn't match the native resolution of games running.

I don't even think we'll see a 1080p screen, tbh. It's possible, but I highly doubt it. The extra power it takes to render at 1080p would essentially negate the extra power and we'd be right back to typical Switch performance, just with ever so slightly sharper image.

If we want better performance in games, they need to close the gap with the current goal posts, and those posts shouldn't be moved until they're maxing out 720p 60fps with PS4 level graphics on every game in handheld mode. Perpetually moving the cart in front of the horse just ensures we get a worse experience. 720p is perfect for handheld. It's the sweet spot for visual clarity, battery, framerates, graphics and cost.

I'm expecting and hoping the Switch 2 is a 720p OLED system that's roughly on par with PS4/X1/Steamdeck in terms of graphical fidelity, with consistent native 720p resolution in handheld at a rock solid 30fps (60fps if it can handle it) without sacrificing a 4-5 hr battery life across the board. In terms of docked, again- PS4/X1/Steamdeck level graphical fidelity at a consistent 1080p with rock solid 30 fps (60fps if it can handle it) with DLSS upscaling to 4k. But even without DLSS, if it can hold 1080p across the board, I'll be happy.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

gcunit

JaxonH wrote:

@gcunit
The VR labo kit selling 1m is a pretty good indicator of the overall interest.

I broadly agree with this point, but disagree with your interpretation. I think the fact an overpriced piece of cardboard could shift 1 million units (if that's a fact, I haven't looked it up) when it only offered a low resolution experience and had limited, short-term software support, indicates a lot of potential behind the format.

I don't really follow screen technology development, but don't people with 4k screens keep saying that it makes their 1080p content look better than it did on their 1080p displays?

But I do agree, 4k may be out of consideration due to costs, but that's the dream for a properly decent VR experience so I'm gonna dream.

PSVR cost hundreds of pounds as an add-on. Imagine the USP Switch 2 would have if it provided a wires-free, PSVR equivalent performance, out of the box! Comes with a pack-in Wii Sports type VR software and goggles, with a mainline Mario, Mario Kart, and Metroid Prime game supporting it.

If that doesn't win you over... I've only got one thing left to say.

F-Zero. VR.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@gcunit
Well, it wasn't just cardboard, it was the game itself ppl were buying. The cardboard was just an accessory to play it. But sure, it's not an exact indicator for that reason.

If an image scales in even multiples it can look fine, but that's rarely the case since different games would run at various different resolutions. If they capped every game at 720p internal resolution and had 1440p or 2160p screen, that could work since those are divisible by 720p, but even then, the screen is having to power 4-9X as many pixels which will drain battery. That's not a problem on a TV or monitor but on a handheld that's definitely a concern.

That said, ya. It would be awesome, no doubt. If they somehow figured out cost and battery and rendered all games at 720p to keep at an even multiple without needing interpolation, and then sold the VR kit separately... I'd definitely try it out.

F-zero VR, you know exactly which buttons to press don't you 😉

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TSR3

PSVR_lover wrote:

I don’t think you will ever see it. A Switch Lite is made to be inexpensive and OLED is not cheap.

Yes, the Switch Lite is a bit like the old 2DS, being the budget model. But following the analogy that could make a Switch Lite [OLED model] the equivalent of a 2DS XL. And if one did launch then maybe after a Switch Pro/2?

@JaxonH Would you expect Monster Hunter Rise PC performance from a Switch 2?

TSR3

FragRed

The next time I think we will hear from Nintendo in terms of hardware is when they announce the Switch successor. I’m thinking 2023 reveal with 2024 reveal. That’s assuming the chip shortages are either over or just better than they are by that point.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

@TSR3
If they were remaking the game? I'm sure it would be able to hit 1080p 60fps.

But they're not going to do that. The Switch version has a locked framerate so that won't change. But it would ensure it's super stable (though I already think it's pretty stable tbh). The resolution is dynamic BUT I believe it's capped off in the 800 range, so unless they released a patch that wouldn't change either. Though it WOULD consistently hold the upper limit without dipping.

That's not to say Capcom couldn't release a patch for 1080p 60fps on Switch 2.

But true PC performance can never be matched without a PC. When I play MH Rise on Steam it's in native 4k (2160p) at 60fps on the highest settings. I could get 120fps but since I use VRR on a system level, and most AAA games can't do more than 4k 60 on a 2080 ti, I just leave it there. Honest could never tell the difference much beyond 60 anyways.

But Switch 2 will get it's own MH game, and that I'm sure will be 1080p 60fps. Unless they go nuts with the graphics it could be 30 still like World was on PS4/X1. Either way, it'll be a nice handheld experience.

blindsquirrel

If you hear anything about Nintendo buying Capcom it is fake. Nintendo prime went full switch force and made up a skit and presented it in the title as real. Tired of Nintendo you tubers doing nothing but clickbait.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

TSR3

Cuzizkool wrote:

So wouldn’t it be feasible for a holiday 2024 launch of Switch 2 to come equipped with Atlan? If so then even the low powered version of the chip should be more powerful than base PS4. Maybe PS4 Pro level power? Someone feel free to burst my bubble here. 😛

I'm going to deflate your bubble a little. Your timings and speculation of possible power of Atlan are OK, but the CPU component of the SoC is codenamed Grace, which is known to be based on Arm Neoverse design. This is a high power CPU designed for data centres. It's probably not a good fit for gaming devices like the Switch.

While we've discussed the possibility of the next Switch SoC being based on Orin, it maybe a completely custom design for Nintendo. For instance last year Moore's Law Is Dead had rumours that that the GPU in the next Switch could be based on Lovelace (the one after Ampere used in Orin) ...

TSR3

Magician

I think base PS4-levels of performance for the Switch successor is the best we can expect. As long as portable gaming is king in Japan, Nintendo will want a reasonable playtime from a full charge off a battery. Low wattage "just enough is good enough" gaming is practically Nintendo's unofficial mantra now.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

DragonSlayer

My opinion is that Nintendo Switch 2 could come out next year, and it would be great for Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 to be launch game for Nintendo Switch 2. As for the chip in the next Nintendo console, I think it will be Orin

Edited on by DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer

HotGoomba

A Switch 2 is something I can see being officially unveiled in 2023/24 and being released in 2024/25.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Captain_America

Somehow I hope that this year Nintendo will announce the Nintendo Switch Lite (OLED Model) which would be great for those who prefer only handheld gaming.

Captain_America

JaxonH

@Magician
Not just Japan, but portable gamers in general.

Battery life is crucial. Without battery, the portability is worthless. Non-handheld gamers will often ooh and ahh at the specs of PC handhelds, and it's like sure, those things are beasts, but when you're only hitting 90 minute playtimes, what's the point, ya know?

If we can see PS4/X1/Steamdeck power with the Switch 2, and maintain battery life roughly on par with Switch v2/OLED, that's pretty much a dream scenario.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic