Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 1,581 to 1,600 of 4,146

TSR3

@GrailUK Great idea Kinda like how this thread is free of all the Switch Pro haters

Edited on by TSR3

TSR3

GrailUK

@TSR3 Haha I know right. Why waste your time like that?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Grumblevolcano

I wonder if Nintendo's using the OLED to try and justify higher pricing overall. So like the current setup is:

• Switch Lite - $199
  • Switch - $299
  • Switch OLED - $349

Then in a few years the setup is:

• Switch Lite - Discontinued
  • Switch - Discontinued
  • Switch Lite OLED - $249
  • Switch OLED - $349
  • Switch Pro (called something else) - $449

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TSR3

@Grumblevolcano I reckon that there's possibly an element of Nintendo covering themselves for future inflation, or even current inflation in the tech sector with the component shortages of the last year. And they won't be the only ones ...

Switch OLED Success "Could Set A Precedent For Charging More ...

I think the traditional price cuts over time for consoles could disappear for this generation

EDIT: Your prices look believable to me

Edited on by TSR3

TSR3

TSR3

@Grumblevolcano On 2nd thoughts I'd doubt a Switch Lite (OLED model) would go up by $50 as it'd probably have fewer upgrades than the docked version. Maybe $229?

TSR3

sixrings

@TSR3 or they just charge fifty because they can get away with it.

sixrings

skywake

Some thoughts on the recent Metroid Prime Trilogy comments. We now know that Skyward Sword HD was built on a Wii compatibility layer and likely used AI texture upscaling. Of course there were other welcome tweaks but the core of it sounds pretty drag and drop.

So why would anyone think the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch isn't happening? Rumours or not, seems like the most obvious thing. I mean what other games would be on your shortlist of games to remaster from Wii/GC?

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Jey887

I think people just have an 'I'll believe when I see it' attitude when it comes to the Metroid Prime Trilogy. At this point, can't really blame them. The rumours have been doing the rounds for years.

It's almost certainly a case of when and not if. Too many sources outright confirming it exists.

Edited on by Jey887

Jey887

sixrings

@skywake I heard from my sources we would be seeing. A Wii Punch Out HD, a Wii Warioland Shake It HD and a Wii Sports Resort HD. I have not heard from my sources of a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

sixrings

BruceCM

So, Nintendo have apparently assured everyone they have 'no plans to release any other Switch models at this time' ..... Funny, they were saying that almost right up until they announced the OLED model, so I'm sure we'll all believe them this time?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Balta666

@BruceCM actually that is not exactly true as for instance last year on shareholding meeting they were clear in saying nothing would be released that year. This year on the other hand it changed to we are allways working on new hardware because they don't want to say something clearly untrue. You can allways say I have nothing to announce today and it is not a lie if it comes tomorrow lol

Edited on by Balta666

GrailUK

Stop it. Just stop it now. They have no plans. Have a break. Let's all resume in the new year. I think it would be good for everyone's karma hehe

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

@sixrings
I think what you don't get is that I'm not commenting on any of the rumours, frankly I don't really buy into rumours on their own. What I tend to do is look at what's technically possible and speculate on what they could do. I mean this is literally the rumour and speculation thread is it not?

A few months ago I was talking about what Nintendo could feasibly do with a higher spec SKU within a reasonable budget. They didn't do that. But I think my position on what they COULD do has been well and truly vindicated given the announcement of the Steam Deck. And I still stand by my position that they should do something in that direction in the next year or so or risk falling behind.

On Metroid Prime Trilogy? I'm not really buying into the rumours about it coming out or not coming out. People are always going to speculate about that whether or not there's any merit to it. However Skyward Sword HD looks pretty damn good for a game that we now know is largely using Wii assets. Likely AI upscaled textures but beyond that it's pretty much original game assets running natively on the Switch. It'd make sense to reuse those tools

But the question is, which games could they use these tools on? If you go down the list of best selling Wii and GC titles there are some games that don't make sense. Titles like Wii Sports are so small you'd be better off making from scratch. Mario Kart, New SMB, Smash Bros, DKCR, Animal Crossing make no sense given we already have modern "replacement" releases. And Mario Party, the forgotten big hitter, we're getting a Mario Party compilation game this year.

So for multi-million sellers we're left with:

• Zelda (so Wind Waker and Twilight Princess which already have HD remasters)
  • Mario (just Galaxy 2 at this point)
  • Metroid Prime (all three and just 2D Metroid on Switch currently)
  • Paper Mario (Thousand Year Door & Super Paper Mario although we have a Paper Mario already)
  • Pikmin (I question how much people would care given we have Pikmin 3)

Of those.... Metroid Prime is the obvious pick

Edited on by skywake

HotGoomba

sixrings wrote:

@skywake I heard from my sources we would be seeing. A Wii Punch Out HD, a Wii Warioland Shake It HD and a Wii Sports Resort HD. I have not heard from my sources of a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

Sources: Please trust me guys.

I mean a Wario Land Shake It remaster could happen, but a new game in the series is way more likely.

Nintendo kinda confirmed that they wanted to move away from casual games like Wii Sports, so a Wii Sports remaster is almost impossible, and even then, a third (fourth if you count Club) is way more likely, and even then, that's clearly not Nintendo's focus right now.

Punch Out Wii getting remastered is just flat out laughable. It's a great game, but Nintendo probably wouldn't remaster that game. And even if a new Punch Out is coming, it's moreso likely to be a fully new game rather than a remaster. These games probably don't take TOO long to make anyways. Don't take my word for it, but the development time likely wouldn't be long.

Also like my local church is predicting Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch /s, what are your sources even?

Edited on by HotGoomba

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

skywake

@HotGoomba
The problem with the Wii Punchout also is that it was a sprite driven game. It's not like running at a higher resolution is even really possible. I mean maybe they have high resolution versions of those sprites floating around? If so maybe it'd make sense. But even on the Wii it was a bit of an afterthought release. I remember picking it up not long after release in a bargain bin for $10. The game didn't really move.

Would be more of a download release these days I'd think. I think even at the time they had a special demo-ish version of it as a WiiWare title for Club Nintendo in the US.

I would be down for a new Wario Land but

Edited on by skywake

Grumblevolcano

I think with the Nvidia Shield Wii games being delisted, those may come to Switch. Either that or Nintendo's broken up with Nvidia as the Nvidia deal was Switch gets Tegra chips meanwhile Shield gets Wii games in HD.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Madao

skywake wrote:

So why would anyone think the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch isn't happening? Rumours or not, seems like the most obvious thing. I mean what other games would be on your shortlist of games to remaster from Wii/GC?

Bold of you to assume it will be a trilogy instead of Nintendo selling each game separately at full price

Madao

BruceCM

Yeah, it's just pointless them saying it, @Balta666 ..... I don't think anyone expects a further upgrade to be announced until at least a few months after OLED is out, anyway, so any speculation is for next year as it is

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic