Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 4,146

MPSSislit

Madao wrote:

@SM3DASislit It is definitely not out of the realm of possibility for Nintendo to release a more powerful model like they did with the New 3DS. The main reason I find it less likely now is that the OLED model bumped up the price of what is basically a base Switch model.

If say Nintendo were to release a Pro model in 2022, it would be too soon to lower the price of the OLED model, so the Pro would be sold at $450 minimum (unlikely Nintendo would do just a $50 price bump, so I assume a $100 bump). At that point, they are in PS5/Series X territory, so the Pro would have to be extremely impressive to compete.

Something is definitely happening, there is no chance such a large part of the rumours were true only for the spec bump to be wrong. It is definitely a mix of different things (OLED model + some future model/Switch 2). That being said, Nintendo is always using outdated tech and the rumoured chip is far from outdated, it is not even used by any device yet. So I think at this point, the spec bump part of the rumours is more likely to have originated from Nintendo testing early what will eventually be an outdated and cheap option for them to use for the Switch successor and not related to a Pro revision.

@Madao
Sorry for the really, really, late response. I've been busy recently, so I haven't had a lot of time to send out responses.

Yeah, that does make sense as to why the chance of releasing a newer Switch model, outside of the OLED Switch, would be lower.

I actually was thinking that if Nintendo would release the Switch "Pro" (or whatever it will be called) that would release in 2023, as Nintendo seems to be releasing Switch revisions every 2 years, instead of every year that they were doing with the 3DS for a while.

Yeah, I agree that something is happening behind the scenes regarding future Switch revisions. I believe that specs that were reported on weren't completely made up, but it probably is like you said where they were testing it for a successor, rather than another revision.

I know that Nintendo said that they were looking into more advanced (or powerful) hardware within the last year or 2, so it wouldn't surprise me if they started to start having more advanced consoles, like they did before the Wii.

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

SKTTR

What do you think is the likelihood for the following rumoured games?

Donkey Kong 2D
Fire Emblem Echoes
Metroid Prime Collection
New Pokémon Pinball
Paper Mario Remake

And what do you think is Next Level Games new project?
Luigi's Mansion 4, a new Punch-Out!!, or a new Mario Strikers?

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

GrailUK

@SKTTR Mario Strikers in time for next years World Cup.
DonkeyKong 2D 8/10
Metroid Prime Collection 9/10
Fire Emblem Echoes 5/10
New Pokemon Pinball 3/10
Paper Mario Remake 4/10

(no rhyme or reason lol)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

TSR3

@GrailUK Shouldn't Metroid Prime Collection be a 10/10, it's just a matter of when, not if?

@Madao I think Metroid Prime being re-released as a Trilogy is a good working assumption as that's what the last release was (on Wii, and I've got the original to prove it! ) I suppose Nintendo could break them up for re-release, but what would be the point. They'd have to provide 3 lots of marketing for each release, and they'd need to provide 3 lots of extras to justify each purchase. It sounds too fan hostile, even for money bags Nintendo!

Edited on by TSR3

TSR3

TSR3

Rumour du jour (well, yesterday's anyway) from kopite7kimi ...

Dane is allegedly the codename for the lower power version of Orin intended for Nintendo. SEC8N means Samsungs 8nm process (same as used for Nvidia's latest RTX GPUs). I think kopite7kimi has previously hinted at 7nm (he seems to hint a lot rather than making hard statements like above). Ada Lovelace is the known codename for the successor to the Ampere GPUs currently powering the RTX 3000 series.

To be honest when kopite7kimi previously hinted at Ada Lovelace I thought he was just making stuff up, but then I read up a bit more about him and he seemingly has a good track record with graphics leaks and the tech press take him seriously.

Edited on by TSR3

TSR3

Madao

@TSR3 Honestly when they talk about the Switch it feels more like an educated guess than something they know. They know "Dane" exists and is something that would make sense to be used for a Switch, so their best guess is that the next Switch will use it, especially considering the previous rumours, it would provide all the rumoured capabilities.

One thing I hope Steam Deck does is push Nintendo to make their next iteration at least as powerful in handheld. I think Valve might have tried to guess (or they might even know) what Nintendo will do with their next Switch in terms of power, so they can piggy back on it to make Steam Deck support more straightforward for devs.

Madao

TSR3

@Madao I wonder if Nintendo will respond to Steam Deck in any way? When they said they had no "plans" for new hardware after OLED yet, I took it to mean they were still in the R&D phase. And there's a ResetEra rumour that seems to back that up ...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/future-nintendo-hardware-tec...

"There isn't anything inherently wrong with the SoC (as far as I know). The issue had more to do with Nintendo's goals not being met in some way, and until those goals are met or compromises are made, all characteristics of the SoC cannot be locked down and taped out."

Edited on by TSR3

TSR3

Madao

@TSR3 I think it is more likely that Nintendo wants their next console to support all the new features of UE5 so they don't miss on the newer games made with it. They might need something even more powerful than the Steam Deck though if that is the case.

Madao

HotGoomba

Madao wrote:

They might need something even more powerful than the Steam Deck though if that is the case.

Yeah, right.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Atomic77

It has been proven time and time again that there will be no switch pro at this time. the OLED Model is pretty much just the same specs as the current model but a better screen.

Atomic77
Nintendo Switch OLED Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Edition Gamer

Atomic77

hmm that's interesting even though I thought Nintendo from something I read earlier has turned down all claims of anything after the OLED model Switch.

Atomic77
Nintendo Switch OLED Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Edition Gamer

TSR3

@Atomic77 Nintendo didn't deny 'anything', they actually denied “…supplying tools to drive game development for a Nintendo Switch with 4K support”.

Which left lots of room for speculation about a 4K device which isn’t the “Switch”, and the devices allegedly doing the rounds being more like prototype or preview level, rather than actual 'dev kit' that game companies could actually use to work on software aimed for release yet.

I watched DF's weekly direct yesterday and it was interesting that Richard Leadbetter was talking about new dev kits as if they were a fact!

Edited on by TSR3

TSR3

skywake

This....

skywake wrote:

What I'm more interested in is whether or not the dock includes the same DP -> HDMI 1.4 converter chip or something newer. If it does include a newer chip that supports HDMI 2.0 then technically HDR would be possible as well as 4K output. But again, even if it did Nintendo would likely lock out that functionality through firmware.

is indeed interesting

Madao wrote:

Oh also another nail in the coffin for the Switch Pro will be the dock of the OLED model. They are just about to release a new redesigned dock. Assuming it is still using the same HDMI port that can't support 4k/60hz, it means that if a Pro model were to release next year, they would need to redesign the dock again and make docking even more confusing for consumers.

yep...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/10/teardown-suggests-t...

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

TSR3

@skywake I'm not that geeky about video standards, I'm still rocking a HD TV myself. Is HDR something that Nintendo could enable in the future, like they recently did with Bluetooth audio?

I totally get your point about HDMI 2.0 being a deliberate design choice now, not just a case whatever's cheapest/available.

TSR3

skywake

@TSR3
It'd be a firmware update but individual releases would also have to support it. Also the most basic format HDR10 is royalty free so there's not much in the way of supporting it as I understand

More likely than Dolby Digital IMO. Although TBH I don't think they'll do it. More likely this is setting themselves up the current dock to retire and for new hardware down the line

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Madao

@skywake that is very interesting My opinion now is that Mochizuki was actually spot on from the start, but Nintendo changed their plans for the Pro model very late. I don't think the Pro model will happen now that they missed their intended timing. I now just expect a Switch 2 in 2023.

The 4K upscaling patent going public a few days ago to me confirms that the intention was to utilise it for the OLED model (so it would have been a pro model). They must have timed this patent to go public at a time where everyone would already know about the Pro model, similar to what they did with the N64 controller. Timing is just too tight for this to not be the case imo.

As to why the Pro model was cancelled, Nintendo probably figured they wouldn't be able to make enough of them before Switch 2 drops due to the chip shortage, so ended up cancelling the whole thing and used all the stock they bought for it (screens, dock, etc) to create the OLED model.

Edited on by Madao

Madao

HotGoomba

@Madao That's actually something that likely happened, there's almost no way that Nintendo wasn't planning a pro model pre-pandemic.

And I'm sure the sequel to the Switch will be a full-on successor rather than a whole new design and name (think NES to SNES or DS to 3DS rather than N64 to GameCube or Game Boy line to the DS line to the Nintendo Switch). Probably won't be called Switch 2 though, too basic for Nintendo's liking, but also don't expect Switch U or Nintendo Switch Advance, those name sound like revisions rather than sequels.

And I assume the sequel to the Switch will be compatible with all/most previous accessories, hence why the OLED's dock is 4K ready.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

GrailUK

At this point, I reckon their next console is going to incorporate the Switch rather than be a successor and will either replace or exist alongside it. With SONY going full on movie-like experience, Microsoft going all Netflix I think Nintendo will probably lean towards the mobile phone end of gaming (not necessarily a bad thing, just more mobile and less AAA or is it AAAA these days (sigh).)

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Ulysses

@Madao This is an excellent take, and pretty much my impression as well based on everything we have seen. At this point, do you think Nintendo will cram a Pro model into 2022 just to launch a Switch 2 successor in 2023, or do you think this supply shortage is delaying the entire Pro > Switch 2 timeline by two years?

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic