Forums

Topic: NX Price

Posts 21 to 40 of 53

cwong15

The original Atari 2600 debut in 1977 for $199. That's $778 in today's dollars after adjusting for inflation.

The Nintendo Wii debut in 2006 for $250. That's $294 in today's dollars after adjusting for inflation.

Just a little food for thought.

cwong15

skywake

I made a quick graph because that's what I do. Took the US launch prices from the last two console generations, adjusted for inflation using an online calculator. Graph shows the highest price, lowest price and the median price. The green side represents a "cheap" price target, the red side represents a premium price.

Untitled

People expecting the same prices as previous systems need to remember inflation. Adjusted for inflation the Wii launched at almost $300US (2015). On the other side the 360, PS3 and XBOne were all at around $500US (2015). Of course tech does tend to get cheaper over time but you need to keep in mind how much more $250US was worth 10 years ago.

That said, I think $200-250US is a reasonable target for a portable. I'd expect a home console to be somewhere closer to around $300-350US. With the home console they need to be careful that they are priced competitively. Either that or they need to offer something worth paying a premium for. With the portable? I think they can get away with a lot more. They're already a premium product in that space, regardless of price or spec.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Seacliff

It depends on what it is, of course, but as a new Nintendo home console in general, I'd say it could easily be at least $350. However, If at least some of the rumors about it were true, I expect it to be over $400.
Gamecube started at about $200, Wii was about $250, and the normal version of the Wii U was about $300. The only proof I have is this pattern, sadly, but it might be just enough to show my point.

Seacliff

iKhan

cwong15 wrote:

The original Atari 2600 debut in 1977 for $199. That's $778 in today's dollars after adjusting for inflation.

The Nintendo Wii debut in 2006 for $250. That's $294 in today's dollars after adjusting for inflation.

Just a little food for thought.

And the 2600 was the last console to be successful when priced above $450 (adjusting for inflation). The only other systems to succeed priced above $400 dollars (adjusting for inflation) were the NES and the PS1.

http://kotaku.com/36-years-of-console-prices-adjusted-for-inf...

Numbers are a little old, but they can't have changed by much in 2 years.

@skywake
The 360 was originally priced at $300. In 2015 that's $364.04, hardly $500. The PS3 and XB1 didn't see success until they received price drops.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

skywake

iKhan wrote:

@skywake
The 360 was originally priced at $300. In 2015 that's $364.04, hardly $500. The PS3 and XB1 didn't see success until they received price drops.

The Core SKU was $300US but the only SKU worth getting was $400US. The Core came with Composite cables (i.e. 480i) a wired controller and no internal storage. It was the only one which I didn't pick the most basic SKU for the chart above but I think not being able to save games kinda meant it didn't count.

As for your point about them not getting success before a price drop? Well that was true of pretty much all of them. Everything that's not the Wii or PS4 didn't do well out of the gate. Infact I'd argue that outside of those two the only one gained momentum without a price drop was the DS. And the DS got the DSLite....

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

erv

Early adopters are paying a premium, as always. I know that I'll buy, and that waiting a year could save about 100 units. I still find value in getting it early and playing it.

Prices adjusted for inflation is interesting but probably wrong. You can buy ipod touches that outgun a wii U for 200 units. The space for nintendo to move in is tighter, so the prices will lean lower.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

erv wrote:

Prices adjusted for inflation is interesting but probably wrong. You can buy ipod touches that outgun a wii U for 200 units. The space for nintendo to move in is tighter, so the prices will lean lower.

wow.... a few things about this one....

1. An iPod touch doesn't "outgun" the Wii U. In RAW GPU GFLOPs the Wii U is about 3x more powerful
2. Why are we talking about the Wii U at all? I think it's fair to assume that whatever the NX is it won't be the Wii U
3. Here you can get a 32GB Wii U with Mario Kart 8 for $420AU RRP. A 32GB iPod Touch is $350AU

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JLPick

The PS4 and XONE are now $350, and this holiday season, they'll probably go down to $300 or less. If nintendo releases a console, or even a portable around the holiday season, they're going to have to compete with that, pricing their system a little lower than the competition, or else they'll have more problems selling the system.

In all honesty, it depends on what the NX is, how powerful it is and what will be released with it and when it will be released. Nintendo can have it strong if they release it this holiday season, but waiting until 2017 can hurt them, when the others will have most of their exclusives out and getting more that year. Hopefully, with the fact that not much is going on with the Wii U, that nintendo is creating the games for their next system.

JLPick

iKhan

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

@skywake
The 360 was originally priced at $300. In 2015 that's $364.04, hardly $500. The PS3 and XB1 didn't see success until they received price drops.

The Core SKU was $300US but the only SKU worth getting was $400US. The Core came with Composite cables (i.e. 480i) a wired controller and no internal storage. It was the only one which I didn't pick the most basic SKU for the chart above but I think not being able to save games kinda meant it didn't count.

As for your point about them not getting success before a price drop? Well that was true of pretty much all of them. Everything that's not the Wii or PS4 didn't do well out of the gate. Infact I'd argue that outside of those two the only one gained momentum without a price drop was the DS. And the DS got the DSLite....

I think it makes the most sense to look at the Core SKU, because that will be the first thing people look at when it comes to affordability. Obviously more expensive SKUs have more value, but if you are on a budget, the cheapest option is the key.

The SNES, PS1, PS2, Wii, 360, and PS4 were all successful from launch.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

The-NX

I cost $348.99. This makes me a dollar cheaper than the PS4. TAKE THAT SONY!!!

The-NX

WebHead

@skywake: yeah if they aren't going to try to get major third party support and be first party/exclusive driven, than I think NX has to be under $300. No one wants to pay $300+ for a first party box, as evident with Wii U.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

iKhan wrote:

I think it makes the most sense to look at the Core SKU, because that will be the first thing people look at when it comes to affordability. Obviously more expensive SKUs have more value, but if you are on a budget, the cheapest option is the key.

As I said the only one I didn't use the cheapest SKU for that chart above was the 360. Every other cheaper SKU was fully functional, the 360 Core was not. How could I count a system which required you buying a HDD for it in order to save your games? It also doesn't really change the chart much anyway

iKhan wrote:

The SNES, PS1, PS2, Wii, 360, and PS4 were all successful from launch.

You only added the 360 to my list because I wasn't talking about previous generations. Also I don't agree with your argument that the 360 was an instant success from launch. I'd argue that it only really started to gain momentum when they started to play around with the SKUs in late 2007. The price cut, the Arcade SKU. That's when it broke 10mill units sold. The PS4 and Wii by comparison broke 10mill in less than a year. They're not really the same ballpark.

WebHead wrote:

yeah if they aren't going to try to get major third party support and be first party/exclusive driven, than I think NX has to be under $300. No one wants to pay $300+ for a first party box, as evident with Wii U.

My issue with it being cheap is that if its cheap why does it exist? At $250US for a home console what is it going to be able to do that the Wii U can't? And again, you're forgetting inflation. $250US was cheap for the Wii U but $200US wasn't cheap for the N64. Not to the same degree at least.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

@skywake: inflation doesn't matter in this case. We've seen with wii u so far that about 13 million people are willing to pay $300+ for a Nintendo console so far. If NX isn't clearly better than the competition with major third party support and instead is an exclusives-driven box targeted at kids/families/fans, which hint: it probably will be, than NX has to be affordable. It has to be aggressive in pricing.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

@WebHead:
Two points of view. Either you think that the market has spoken with the Wii U, that clearly people don't want to pay that much for a Nintendo console. If that's the case then why replace the Wii U early? Why not just hold out with the Wii U and keep making it cheaper and more efficient? Because if $200-250US is the target, that's effectively what the Wii U is at this point. Why upgrade for nothing other than a name change? Why not wait until $200-250 can actually deliver something the Wii U can't do?

The other argument is that they can still sell home consoles. That they need a revision with an improved spec or some other feature. That the Wii U was an off-day and Nintendo can still hit it big. If that's the case then they need to price it in such a way that they can deliver an upgrade from the Wii U. And because of inflation that price point is ~$300-350US.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

@skywake: because clearly no one is interested in the system, so why bother another 3+ years of support. Plus there's technological advancements. As long as they don't use some overexpensive gimmick they should be able to make a more powerful home console at $250-300 with ease.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

@WebHead:
Well the WSJ just put up an article saying that the NX is "most likely" a portable system. Though they're still holding to the idea that a home console will come out latter that's also under the same codename. Fair to say that there is more weighty speculation to back my position on this at this stage.

Also I didn't say "another 3+ years". I said wait a bit longer and/or launch at $300-350US. Another two years (i.e. late 2017) and a $300-350US launch price could easily work. Beyond late 2018 they could probably do whatever they wanted and it'd be somewhat of an upgrade from the Wii U. What I'm saying is insane would be $200-250US this year. Because at that price and that soon they're effectively just selling us the Wii U spec again but without the software.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Silly_G

The NX will be a free-to-start system (electricity/realty fees may apply) that will prompt the player for an unbelievably low $2 fee for every five minutes of playtime (the first five minutes of gameplay is absolutely free!). This fee can be removed for a one-time fee of $399.95. The NX will also boast an impressive array of free-to-play titles at launch, including Super Mario Real Coin Land, Pokémon Nickel Version, Pokémon Dime Version, Metroid Prime: Intergalactic Repossession, WarioWare: Hand It Over!, Brain Training: How Could You Afford Not To Sustain Your Mind?, and the hotly anticipated Animal Crossing: Liquidation that leaves players at the mercy of Tom Nook after he and the richest 0.001% buy out the whole world! If you thought that Happy Tree Friends was a warm and cuddly anthropomorphic bloodbath, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Edited on by Silly_G

Silly_G

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3134-0847 | Nintendo Network ID: sillygostly

WebHead

I think anywhere higher than $300 USD is suicide, particular if it's another first party/exclusives-driven driven device with kids/families and Nintendo fans as its main audience, which hint: it probably will be. Aggressive, competitive pricing is a must.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Grumblevolcano

I think it'll be same price as 3DS was at launch if handheld or same price as Wii U was at launch if home console.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic