Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 961 to 980 of 4,706

Joeynator3000

It's basically a Tower Defense mode, so if you'd played one of those games, think of that, but in Monster Hunter. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

VoidofLight

I've somewhat played a tower defense game before, but I assume this is going to be a bit different due to the monsters being tanky as heck.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Joeynator3000

Apparently you can't defeat monsters in this mode, just repel them. So they won't have as much health as one from a normal quest.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

VoidofLight

Ah. So it's more doable than I was thinking. I was thinking that it was going to be a mode where you had to kill every monster that appeared.

Magician

I believe the rampage content is closer to horde mode rather than tower defense.

The defensive items playing a more supportive role while hunters do a bulk of the damage.

To me, rampage looks just like a MHW arena quest, only on a slightly larger scale.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

It's kinda both. It's tower defense in that you pick the Hunting installations and where to install before the monsters come.

It's kinda like horde mode though because you're defending against a wave of enemies and then the apex shows up, which you have to kill (footage implies driving off monsters or killing the leader).

I'm digging it.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

VoidofLight

I feel like this mode would be really difficult to play solo. However, it seems like a blast if you have multiple people joining you.

JaxonH

Some Noob Videos from the perspective of a MH noob.

@DarthNocturnal
Welcome to the vortex.

Might wanna go ahead and schedule vacation from work now. Better than call-ins the day of. Trust me, I know. I've been there.

In fact... you might just wanna clear your calendar for the rest of March.

And the entire month of April.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

VoidofLight

I remember playing a bit of world in the past, and I stuck with the Dual Blades. I vastly prefer faster characters in games like these, so Dual Blades are pretty much perfect for me in that aspect.

NEStalgia

I love how everywhere else on NL acnh is a sacred cow that can't be tipped. And then the MH thread has everyone thats like "eww that game made me hate gaming"

Ugh i still can't get mizu. I did incredible damage with hh, had him reeling on the ground for several full recitals. Then he gets up, rages for like 5 minutes and i dodge rolled well but not well enough and got my final cat carry cart. Really hate that fight.

I can't deal with his unending rage sessions.

Screw it, great sword and then ranged after all.

NEStalgia

VoidofLight

eh, I don't hate gaming because of New Horizons, I just feel like it was probably one of my bigger disappointments in games. Also, I love how a bunch of World monsters are making a return in Rise and in Stories 2. Anjanath has to be one of my favorite monsters, and I'm glad I'll get to fight it again.

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
I think the worst strategy is just bouncing around with different weapons. It’s better to stick with a weapon that you know is good and you know is giving you results, and just get better with that weapon, and just try to improve your skills.

Every time you fight him you’re going to learn his patterns a little bit better. You’re going to improve your skills as well. May not seem like you’re making progress but after a certain amount of time, you’re going to kill him and you’re going to look back and think wow, I’ve definitely improved.

I advise sticking with Horn. I would focus on practicing using the recital’s i-frames to dodge attacks, and I would practice using ZL+B wirefall recovery whenever you’re hit, is that move really is a game changer. It yanks you right back onto your feet where you can instantly break into a run and use a healing potion. Another thing I’ll reiterate, is make sure you’re maxing your health with spiribirds first. And then be sure to heal up in the fight, and never risk not healing up when your health is more than 25% depleted.

At the start of the quest, if you run down the hill and jump off into the water below where the field is, towards the left is a little on-ramp ledge near the extra wire bug. Follow that path on your palamute and grab all the spiribirds you find. Keep following the winding path upwards. Cut the grass near the top that you see. Spiribirds hide in the grass, and other endemic life. Then continue following the path all the way up to the shed at the very top where you see the fire beetle rolling the dung ball (which you should totall grab, and the flash bug crawling on the side of the shed, which instantly crafts a flash bomb). At that point, you want to turn right, run and leap off the ledge on your Palamute, use B to jump off your doggo midair, then ZL+B to wire dash across the ravine, using your extra B jump to ensure you make it. On this new cliff ledge you land on, there’s a few spiribirds, and if you run to the left around the corner you will find a puppet spider, which gives you a free mount. Grab it, then turn around and run right back to where you landed, and jump off the cliff into the ravine below. Just a few steps down the path at ground level, you’ll see some sparkly things leading up the cliff on the left hand side. Wire bug onto the wall and run up the wall to the first ledge where you will find a plant you can press A on, which reveals a great wire bug. Hit A to use it and keep spamming A as it launches you into the air, because there’s another great wirebug in the air that you can daisychain off of if you press A at the right time. This will land you on the top of a shed really high up in the air.

There’s a spare extra wirebug on the shed, and you’ll notice a small gap with a platform and a tree right next to the shed you are on top of, and you will also notice several spiribirds right next to the tree. Wiredash across the gap (just aim for the tree) and grab them. Then right below you on the lower ledge there’s a couple more, just drop down and grab those also. Then turn right and drop off of the ledge onto the path below,and follow it, hanging left for a few short steps until you find a small ledge to the right. It’s small enough that you can just climb up it on your own. Immediately curve left to drop down a tiny ledge, and follow the thin path after that, and you will find a couple more spiribirds near the dead end. You will also notice that just below you at ground level is the wooden gate that leads into the area by the huge wooden shack‘s where the Rathian likes to hang around. Through that gate, to the left, is a little hill with a lot of trees and lots of grass to cut and lots of Spiribirds. If you use a double wire dash with jumps in between, you can actually reach the wooded hill from the previous dead end ledge, completely circumventing having to drop down and run through the wooden gate. But if you can’t figure out how to do it that’s fine. Just drop down and go through the wooded gate and immediately turn left, and search that whole area. Then when you’re done, pop back out onto the main path and you’ll notice one last health Spiribird.

Once you learn where they are, you can make a quick run at the beginning of the quest and max out your Health in like three or four minutes. This should just be automatic because even I would struggle against Mizu if I didn’t max out my health first.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
You should watch this Mizu run. Kills it with Horn in 5 minutes and change. Observing proper technique can really help you improve your gameplay.

Ulysses

@NEStalgia
Switching weapon classes in Monster Hunter is kind of like going down a racetrack with a car, and then going down it again with a bus; everything will feel different, from turning to acceleration. Combine that with remembering the ins and outs of the racetrack itself.

This franchise always has two separate layers to improving:
1) learning each weapon class (14)
2) learning each monster with each weapon class (14 times all the monsters)

Fighting games pit Fighter Vs Fighter, and Monster Hunter pits Monster Vs Weapon Class. Some weapon classes are just inherently easier when used against different monsters. And each weapon class against each monster brings a new learning curve.

So don't get too discouraged if you feel like you're hitting a wall when taking a specific weapon class up against a specific monster.

Ulysses

toiletduck

I just came to the conclusion that I'm skipping on Rise. Although I fully understand the enthousiasm and the game looks gorgeous, I just can't justify to myself the amount of time I'd have to put into this to really get the game. I'm actually spending less time on gaming lately, so such a time sinker doesn't really fit my lifestyle currently. Enjoy the hunt guys!

I may give Stories 2 a try, just waiting for a bit more info.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Green_Shyguy

I used the Hunting Horn in World so I was going to try a new weapon in Rise, but the new version of the Hunting Horn in Rise looks so much fun I can't decide what to do! I also loved the song the demo Hunting Horn played, so cool.

Green_Shyguy

JaxonH

@toiletduck
Well, if you change you mind later, we'll still be here for some time 😄

It is a lot to learn. I can't deny that. But I do think it sounds way worse than it actually is, and most of it is learned slowly and naturally as you play. Because there's so many nuances and details- it's a dream for someone who loves digging into the minutia, but alot of it isn't required knowledge to have fun playing the game. I think one could just play normal from the beginning and the game would explain enough on its own as you progress.

I think a lot of people get intimidated and are like, it's too much. I don't wanna deal with learning all that (especially after playing harder Quests in the demo that just throw you into the deep end of combat). But you only need like 5-10% of that knowledge to make your way through the game. The rest comes naturally as you play, or in conversations about a game you're enjoying.

I've seen people pick up a good recommended weapon, and just have at it. They start playing and learn what they learn as they go. It does help to have someone you can ask questions if needed, but I think since World, the games are designed more for the masses to get into the game.

@Green_Shyguy
So many amazing weapons. It's hard to choose. I finally decided Hunting Horn, Switch Axe and Charge Blade will be the 3 I main. I can't narrow it down beyond those 3. I love them all equally- they're so satisfying to use!

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

MHR will be a time-sink, but it's not like it's going to be some hyper-story driven game that you have to swallow in a few bites. It'll probably take me months to get through the campaign, since I'll just play here and there, but that's cool. Aside from possibly trying out World at some point (which I own, but just never got to), this is my MonHun game for the next four years or so.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

After seeing the switch skill for the hammer I'm even more excited to mash'n'bash.

It's hammer time, boys and girls.
Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TeeJay

Tower defense isn't my favorite genre because I find it especially stressful, kinda like how I hate time limits. But I'm willing to give MonHun's version of it a shot. I can see myself liking this simply because of the unique flavor MH brings to the table. I really like the concept of the "war cry" that super-buffs all hunters to encourage everyone to get off the guns for a while and hunt face-to-face for a bit.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic