Forums

Topic: Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics 2018

Posts 1 to 7 of 7

Tasuki

Since the Olympics are now upon us I just noticed that there isn't a Mario and Sonic for this year's Olympics. Is there one coming? Is one even planned and if not I am wondering if Nintendo said anything about why there won't be one. Just seems kinda odd that there isn't one right now.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Inertiacreep

@Tasuki i thought i read someone say they don't have rights anymore

Inertiacreep

RR529

@Tasuki, as @Inertiacreep said, SEGA no longer holds the Olympic license, so no more Mario & Sonic Olympic games.

Ubisoft is the current holder of the license I think (I believe they branded Steep as the "Offical game of the Winter Olympics" on the other platforms).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Inertiacreep

@RR529 why did they lose the license though? and why didnt nintendo snatch that up?

Inertiacreep

PokeMario

I feel like the series dropped off in quality with the last two installments (particularly Sochi) so perhaps it's for the best.

PokeMario

RR529

Inertiacreep wrote:

@RR529 why did they lose the license though? and why didnt nintendo snatch that up?

My guess is that their contract expired and either SEGA didn't want to renew, or Ubisoft offered the IOC a better deal.

And it wouldn't do the IOC any good to license out to Nintendo, as that would lock their property to Nintendo hardware only. While SEGA had the license, they also released more realistic Olympic games for PS & Xbox in addition to the Nintendo exclusive Mario & Sonic variety.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

@RR529 Yeah it looks like they only had like a 10 year deal as the first game came out in 2007 and then the last came out 2016. It's probably more then likely the IOC went with Ubisoft as the last few Mario and Sonic games where on the Wii U. My guess would be since the Wii U didn't sell well, the games didn't sell well either and didn't make the amount the IOC was hoping for.

Shame though as I enjoyed those games. I guess they could do a Mario and Sonic Track and Field game without the Olympic licensing.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.