Forums

Topic: House in Fata Morgana officially highest rated game of all time! 100 on Metacritic!

Posts 1 to 11 of 11

AnnoyingFrenzy

I don't know how long it's going to last based on the low amount of reviews. I personally haven't played this game, wondering if anybody has. Do you feel like it deserves this impressive milestone?

Edited on by AnnoyingFrenzy

Xbox Live Username: Annoying Frenzy
Switch Status: Purchased!

Matt_Barber

I'd think the thing it tells me most is that people put far too much stock in Metascores.

Anyway, congrats to the developers. It sounds like they achieved pretty much everything that they set out to do with it. The mere fact that it's in a genre that's unlikely to interest the vast majority of gamers shouldn't be held against it.

Matt_Barber

Screen

@Matt_Barber

I mean who needs sales, when you have good reviews right? In all seriousness if people really like it that’s great, but from what I’ve seen it looks kind of terrible.

BDSP has online matchmaking!

kkslider5552000

I find it more a case of what happens when the only people who have any interest in reviewing a game are people who already love it.

I'd never heard of this game in my life before the Metacritic score, and there are a lot of obscure games I've at the very least heard of before, so that stands out to me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

AlbaTross579

@AnnoyingFrenzy I love The House in Fata Morgana, so much so that I have it on every device it's available on in English. I think it's a fantastic story, and am glad this underrated gem is finally getting noticed. "Best game of all time", and "the Ocarina of Time killer" is a little much though IMHO.

I think The House in Fata Morgana is a solid 10 for what it is, but my definition of a 10 really just means a title that resonates with me on a deeper level than the vast majority do. I'm not of the opinion that the perfect game even exists, assuming "game" is even the right term here. OoT is another 10 for me, by the way. I think both titles are exceptional examples of their particular genres, but the experiences they offer are vastly different, to the point that direct comparison is beyond meaningless.

Edited on by AlbaTross579

AlbaTross579

Jackpaza0508

That feels so weird, man! Seeing the number 2 next to Ocarina of time doesn't look right haha.

He/Him

AlbaTross579

And, it's done. Someone came along and posted an 8/10 review. That still puts The House in Fata Morgana at a 98, but it's over with. Curiously, it's still sitting at number one on Metacritic's Best Games of All Time list. That should be corrected soon though, as a 98 is not above the 99 of OoT. I'm doubting that Kate Gray is going to give the game a 10 either. We will see, I suppose. But, OoT has taken back its rightful throne. The internet can rest easy now.

TBH, I highly doubted this VN was going to stay at a perfect 100 forever. It still has bragging rights to be the only game to ever even temporarily sit above OoT, and it gave us a heck of a show. I certainly enjoyed the drama, as pointless as it was. Hopefully this whole situation got more people to check out this obscure gem. I know I've been wishing for years that there were more people I could discuss it with. Heck, maybe it will actually show up in various GotY awards this time around, unlike previous releases.

AlbaTross579

Vortexeo

aww it looks like it dropped to 98 but still, I'm curious if how long it'll stay there.

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

kkslider5552000

I do have a couple of other thoughts on this.

1. There's some people are weirdly upset that it was the best rated game at any time. I can't imagine caring, that's embarrassing. But also I think the idea that a game I've never heard of could be this secret masterpiece is both cool and believeable. Enough top tier games I've played sold less than half a million, and occasionally less than a quarter of a million.

2. I don't think the N64 version of OOT is exactly immune to dropping score someday. If enough places re-reviewed it and didn't give it a perfect score, that would be inevitable.

3. When looking to see how other versions were rated, I found out that there are zero reviews of the VC release on Wii. Which I find...hard to believe that no outlet that could qualify for a review wouldn't have reviewed the VC release of Ocarina of Time on the Wii.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Vortexeo

@kkslider5552000 100% agree with all of that!

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

AlbaTross579

@kkslider5552000 The way I see it, the perfect game doesn't exist, and never will. That isn't what comes to mind either when I think of a 10/10 game. Those all resonate with me on a deeper level than the vast majority of games. They have their flaws, sure, and I may even agree with much of the criticism leveled at them, but the flaws don't get in the way of my overall enjoyment, and 10s are on a whole other level when it comes to enjoyment.

I too like coming across diamonds in the rough, and when I do, I wish more people could know about them. I will say, while it's great that The House in Fata Morgana is getting noticed now, that could be a bit of a double-edged sword in that now people are going into it with lofty expectations. I think it's fantastic, for sure, and I do highly recommend checking it out. I would just also recommend approaching it with a blank slate, like with anything.

I don't know if too many sites are into posting reviews for really old games, so I'm expecting OoT to stay where it is, and I'm perfectly ok with that. When it comes to re-releases being reviewed, it tends not to be just straight ports through digital storefronts, but full-retail releases in the form of remasters, remakes and/or collections. It would be interesting if someone were to get into the business of reviewing retro games though. I'd follow such a site.

AlbaTross579

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic