Forums

Topic: For the last time, Nintendo will not release a 4k console this year, and not anytime soon.

Posts 141 to 159 of 159

SwitchForce

@NintendoByNature All it takes it companies that use that feature to make it for NSW or if the game Ports that use it has it then it will come to NSW. If they find it profitable they will make it.

SwitchForce

teo_o

So the the Q&A from the financial report has been traslated in english
Here are the most interesting quotes for our topic (IMO, obviously).
Asked about tailing Wii's lifetime sales, Furukawa said:
"Nintendo Switch has entered the middle of its lifecycle, and sales have greatly increased in
the fourth year after the 2017 launch, reaching a wider range of consumers. Because Animal
Crossing: New Horizons was a hit, many consumers became interested in Nintendo Switch, and
that was one of the major reasons for the sales increase of the systems. We are aiming to continue this momentum and increase the cumulative sales volume to overtake that of Wii.
While we are considering various measures to achieve this, one point that we consider critical
to this effort is the fact that a wide range of consumers are currently playing Nintendo Switch.
Many of those who purchased Nintendo Switch at launch have already played a variety of
different titles, while there are also consumers who were encouraged to purchase a Nintendo
Switch by the release of a game in a series like Pokémon or Animal Crossing. In addition, there
are consumers who purchased a game system for the first time in a long while because in 2020,
they were spending more time at home, or who purchased a system due to nostalgia from the
Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary campaign. Nintendo Switch will be entering its fifth year,
and it's important for us to continue to provide the next title of interest to each of these various
consumers.
And our research has found that approximately 20% of the Nintendo Switch family sellthrough between October and December 2020 in the main regions was due to [u]demand for
multiple systems within the same family[/u]. We will aim to continue increasing our sales volume
by rigorously responding to this kind of demand for multiple systems as well."

And later, asked about the strategy on the "nintendo switch family of systems", he said:
"[...] Moving on to future expansion of the installed base, we believe that [u]as the number of
Nintendo Switch users continues to grow, this will also drive increasing demand for a second
system among the Nintendo Switch family of systems[/u]. In addition, sales in the "Other" region,
which includes Asia, are increasing with an even higher growth rate than Japan, North America
and Europe, so we want to further expand these sales.
When we look at a percentage of new demand for Nintendo Switch so far, while we have
made significant progress in some countries and regions, certain places have an even greater
capacity for further growth. Looking at population size, for example, I think there is still plenty
of room for new demand in the U.S. and Europeé, even more so than in Japan. That said, there
are already many people in these regions who have purchased the hardware in these past four
years, and so for sales to grow even further, we will [u]need to communicate the appeal of
Nintendo Switch as a video game system to people who have not yet bought one as a result
of our past initiatives[/u]"

Anyway the whole Q&A is very interesting, i've linked it at the begging.
This doesn't in any form confirm or deny that a new different model is coming this year, but it's interesting for the discussion nontheless.
(i tried to edit it for text formatting but it was inconsistent)

Edited on by teo_o

teo_o

SwitchForce

Conference call isn't going to tell you any inside developments. I doubt they would reveal anything they don't want us to hear. Conference calls are calls they want to give us not what happening in developments. And release a Premium NSW isn't going to split the gamers - to me is seems like they are using the comparison of PS4 Pro to PS4 standard numbers as their bases but that is just sales and the Pro was worse figures at that. It comes down to people are afraid that a NSW 4K can out muscle a PS5 Pro or something like that and that scares them. Well this is reality and I said it before tech moves on and if you don't then you get left behind.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

iLikeUrAttitude

This post aged like a fine wine lmao

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

PSVR_lover

I think a dock with memory and GPU, CPU enhancement chips inside of it could be released by 2023 is my guess.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Pizzamorg

iLikeUrAttitude wrote:

What do you mean by this, has more news come out? Or is this just rumours of the 4K dock thing?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

SwitchForce

I think we can expect to hear a 2022 Switch 2.0 device console coming out. Like I point out those development aren't overnight but been in the work for some time in R&D and to think they hadn't done such testing is ludicrous that they wouldn't do that. Nintendo needs to make new hardware and sell them that the business they are in making devices not keep supporting devices that reach their Graphics limits. And when new games are wanting to give more performances new Switch consoles is going to happen sooner then later.

SwitchForce

rallydefault

If I wind up getting an OLED, and then they announce a 4k model OR Switch 2 or whatever within a year, I'm probably gonna... well, I'd probably just buy the new one when it comes out lol

rallydefault

Sisilly_G

The Switch hasn't even mastered full HD performance yet and people are demanding UHD. 🤦

One step at a time, people.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

skywake

Pizzamorg wrote:

iLikeUrAttitude wrote:

What do you mean by this, has more news come out? Or is this just rumours of the 4K dock thing?

To be blunt, anyone taking a stand on "there will never be an NAMEOFEXISTINGTECH with INCREMENTALSPECIMPROVEMENT" is going to be wrong eventually. The only saving grace for that line of thinking this time has been the fact that the last 2 years have been the last two years.

The PS5 and XBox Series launched last year and other than the Series S you still can't just walk into a shop and buy one. If you want a new GPU for your PC, I mean the same GPU I brought in mid 2019 for $430AU is now selling for $800AU at retail. It has pretty much always been the case for tech that every couple of years the power you get per $ goes up exponentially. The last two years because of the silicon shortage? It's gone hard the other way. Nintendo isn't immune to this

That's not to say there haven't been significant improvements in the tech itself. On raw performance the last few years have actually accelerated a bit. Between Apple, AMD, Nvidia and Intel we've seen game changers across GPUs, ARM and x86. NVidia is pushing Tensor cores to a new level, AMD shook Intel hard on x86, Apple made an ARM SoC that should have Intel worried and Intel is not only responding with Big/Little on x86 but is also entering the GPU space soon. That stuff that will eventually flow into the console space and will all, in one way or another, influence whatever next revision Nintendo will make. When we eventually come out of the silicon shortage? We're going to elastic band out the other side SUPER hard

2023/24 is going to be one hell of a snap back

edit: BTW, the "dock thing" isn't a rumour. It's a thing. They made the dock HDMI 2.0 capable, they just did. You can speculate the whys and why nots of that all you want but the indisputable fact is that the Switch with the new dock is technically capable of displaying 4K/60. Can it drive it? No. But revising the dock for some revision that could seems pretty rational. A revision that clearly didn't happen this year, likely because this year was 2021.....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Atomic77

The Nintendo Switch is the best portable in the world right now. Nintendo is to smart to kill it off at this point to make something better. The Switch will stay where it is for now weather it is the Lite, Standard or Oled.

Atomic77
Nintendo Switch OLED Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Edition Gamer

Matt_Barber

If we keep bumping this thread every six months or so we'll eventually get to a point where there is one just around the corner.

Not this time though.

Matt_Barber

Pizzamorg

Matt_Barber wrote:

If we keep bumping this thread every six months or so we'll eventually get to a point where there is one just around the corner.

Not this time though.

Lol this is true. Bookmarking this so I can return back and say TOLD YA and pretend I was right all along.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Atomic77

The way things are going we will all probably still be here waiting. Im guessing if anything will happen it will be the year 2030. Thats just how good the Switch/SwitchLite/OLED is holding up.

Atomic77
Nintendo Switch OLED Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Edition Gamer

teo_o

Matt_Barber wrote:

Not this time though.

LMAO yes you're right.
If you ask me though, i think nintendo pulled off the OLED as a counter measure for the chip shortage and the delays in shipments: a small incremental update (which could easily have been the first model anyway, granted with less margin for the company) to postpone the launch of a pro model if you will, or an entirely new console compatible with the switch.
Only time will tell (and the eventual digital foundry analysis on BOTW2)

Edited on by teo_o

teo_o

Mountain_Man

My brother's best friend's uncle who knows an industry insider who is friends with a guy who's acquaintance works for someone who knows a guy who is familiar with Nintendo says that the Switch Pro or other next generation Nintendo console is definitely under development and will be released some time in the next decade or two. I guarantee it.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

SwitchForce

Here we go again NintenDoomed loves to make die Switch rumors. But can't stand the fact there will be a higher model Switch coming whether or not they like it. If that was the case why make a PS5 or XBOXV to begin with wouldn't the older model be just as good. No new PSX or XboxX model just use the same previous over and over and you'll be fine. If we go but those standard NintenDoomed statements so why should they make newer console then. Love how NintenDoomed keeps making those comments about Switch but in the same breath talks about how more powerful PX5/XboxV with the latest tech but a Switch should be able to get high tech itself. It's annoying sometimes to hear them speaks out both sides of the cheeks. A Switch with more GPU will come it's a matter of time or sooner then later - Nintendo needs to update the Switch beyond the PR talks - Consoles makers are always having people testing newer hardware combo with more power to push the limits before the End Users see what they will bring to market for those whom want more Dock power games and that what this is Dock gaming. People keep harping about 4K portable but always need to be re-educated that is for Dock gaming only no one as of yet can put 4K on a portable device and not have a Nuclear Meltdown as a result of it or killing the battery at the push of Power On.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

teo_o

Indeed.
Beside, we recently discovered that if the Switch failed, it could have been nintendo's last console.
It's safe to assume, even if you're not a game journalist, that the next "thing" by Nintendo, wether it will come in 2022, or in 2042, will not adventure in uncharted territories.
Even with the massive success of Switch, it's safe to assume that going forward nintendo will experiment only using peripherals, and not the main hardware.
A tablet with an incremental update, even if small, it's reasonable to expect it in the coming year.

teo_o

SwitchForce

teo_o wrote:

A tablet with an incremental update, even if small, it's reasonable to expect it in the coming year.

Here we go as again trying to dismiss the Switch using Tablet. Let's get this straight Fact Nintendo calls it a Hybrid video game console. What part of that said it's a tablet. If people want to be taken seriously and not be a NintenDoomed camper should use the correct terminology for the Switch.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic