Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 1,768

BruceCM

Cotillion wrote:

I'm really struggling to get through FF X. I like the story, characters (in spite of the horrible voice acting), setting, areas, but there's just too many pace-breaking times that are also very badly designed.
The Blitzball was awful, and things like the Trial Cloisters are worse. I just did the Bevelle Trial, for example. I was 15 mins repeating the same track because the directional arrows wouldn't line up when I passed over them. Went different paths to change timing, reset it, mashed the buttons and out of pure chance I eventually got it. What a terrible design.
Pace breaking things like this make me lose interest and it sits unplayed for periodically. This is my first 'modern' Final Fantasy beyond VII and it's really turned me off getting the others if this is the type of things they have in them.

Sorry you're having such problems with it....
It's effectively hard to say about other modern FF games having 'things like that', though
Your recurring issue here is 'pace-breaking' & I have no idea what you might find to be that in FFIX or FFXII

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

@Cotillion
Don't worry about Blitzball.
Win or Lose will not affect the storyline of FF X.
After Blitzball first play, you will have battle with enemies and the story continues.
About Trial Cloister, you must get the Destruction spheres from the puzzle you must do inside each temples or you cannot get Anima as your summon and if you return to each temples you must facing with Almost Impossible to beat Dark Aeons.
Watch from Youtube for every Trials inside the temples.

Anti-Matter

Cotillion

@BruceCM Really, anything that just stops progress for no reason. There's plenty of cutscenes, but they are advancing the story. There's lots of random battles, but they are advancing my characters stats and so on. And RPGs are usually slow burn anyway and that's fine.
But take the aforementioned Bevelle Trial. Stuff had just happened in the story with Yuna and she did her swandive and we go after her. But wait, everything needs to stop because here's a tedious puzzle out of nowhere that also relies on luck you have to do for no real reason. It broke the pace, in the middle of something exciting happening in the story, and it feels like they just put these in there as filler material. I just don't recall this kind of filler being a thing in the older FFs.
Meanwhile, consider the puzzles in something like Zelda. They feel like part of the game, you fluidly go into a puzzle and progress from doing it.

Cotillion

Magician

I don't about everyone else, but I loved both Theatrhythm games on the 3DS.

I wonder what the chances are of S-E bringing the newest entry to the Switch?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Cotillion

Well, 2 months later and I finally finished this game.
I honestly don't get why it's so revered. Had a lot of pacing issues, bad design and a lot what felt like padding. Pacing issues I mentioned earlier. The middle of some intense scene happening and then boom, right in the middle, here's some tedious puzzle you need to do. Felt like they were just trying to pad the games length. No saves before boss fights is incredibly bad design. I died at Yunalesca, which in itself is fine, but every retry forced me to sit through that lengthy cutscene every time. Would a skip cutscene have been too much? Then I finally got the strategy to beat her and well, here's a 3D environment with no camera control that you have to gather crystals in before you go further because.....we needed to pad the game? Stuff like that just felt so out of place and serve no purpose within the context of the game other than to artificially lengthen it. Then there was Braska's Final Aeon. Died at him multiple times, again....had to do the damn crystal gathering and cutscene every time. Such bad design. Couldn't beat him, looked up some pointers and turns out it was the old trope of the game needed more padding so go grind a couple hours to boost your stats or get items from tedious sidequests to actually finish. Literally every guide I saw said to do this. ugh. The sidequests didn't interest me whatsoever, so I just did a grind to boost stats and finally beat him with ease. I really hate it when games do this. Yunelesca was tough, but strategy prevailed which was a far better design choice. I liked that battle because that's what it took.

I pushed through it to see the story through and to say I had actually finished it. It wasn't all negative, the story itself was decent and I did enjoy the ending. I did like the combat, felt like classic Final Fantasy in a more modern game and the sphere grid was a nice change from just straight leveling up. The world was good and wandering around it was fun.
Camera issues, however, were something I'd expect from an n64/PS1 era game, not PS2 era. Even during cutscenes (not prerendered ones) the camera would sometimes focus on crotches/butts or someone would be saying something important and it would pan their midsection (what?) or it look at something weird and not focus on what was happening or the aforementioned not having control of it in a free roaming area where you have to gather.

I think I'll steer clear of the sequel and other modern Final Fantasy games now though. At least for a long while.

Cotillion

Dezzy

Cotillion wrote:

I think I'll steer clear of the sequel and other modern Final Fantasy games now though. At least for a long while.

The only other game in the series that's anything like FFX in terms of its structure is FF13. 12 and 15 (and 13-2) are both massively different, and obviously all of the earlier games are very different too. So you shouldn't let not liking 10 affect much really.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Magician

Just got my physical copy of FFVII & FFVIII from Shop4.

I don't want to say something trite like "dreams do come true", but it kind of feels that way.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Dezzy

Magician wrote:

I don't want to say something trite like "dreams do come true", but it kind of feels that way.

Edited on by Dezzy

Quarth

@Magician I hope I get my copy tomorrow. I get your feeling.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Magician

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered delayed to Summer 2020 as S-E tries to incorporate cross-play and cross-save with other platforms.

Dezzy

In case anyone didn't know, FF7 remake was shown in the preview trailer for the Game Awards, so make sure to watch the show.

Anti-Matter

I do not care anymore about FF VII and the Remakes / Spin offs.

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

@Anti-Matter

What do you mean "any more"? Did you used to care about them but stopped?

Anti-Matter

@Dezzy
Used to be i have ever played FF VII PS1 (pirated disc) long time ago when i was college age but now i don't feel i want to revisit FF VII and the spinoffs anymore due to that franchise has been milked to dry until i felt annoyed and lost my interest with FF VII franchises. Even i have banned FF VII Remake for explicit swearing words.

Anti-Matter

Quarth

So I started playing FFVII and it seems like a really great game so far. The graphics are kinda primitive now, but still very charming. The soundtrack rivals that of FFVI. The story has just begun, but I'm liking the characters that has been introduced.

Magician

Quarth wrote:

So I started playing FFVII and it seems like a really great game so far. The graphics are kinda primitive now, but still very charming. The soundtrack rivals that of FFVI. The story has just begun, but I'm liking the characters that has been introduced.

I think the soundtrack for FFVII might be my least favorite in the series. Sure "One-Winged Angel" and "Aerith's Theme" are amazing, but the rest? Kind of meh.

JaxonH

JaxonH is back in the game people!

Final Fantasy XII... Third Ascent up this seemingly 100 floor tower of doom and death. Here we go!

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Dezzy

Magician wrote:

I think the soundtrack for FFVII might be my least favorite in the series. Sure "One-Winged Angel" and "Aerith's Theme" are amazing, but the rest? Kind of meh.

It's not the kind of soundtrack you can really listen to for fun. It's incredibly good at setting the mood for the story though. The game has such a powerful vibe about it, and the music is a huge part of that.

JaxonH

Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Final Fantasy XII on Switch were on sale at BestBuy for $19.99 each, $15.99 with GCU.

Though personally I’d go for the Play-Asia version of FFX/X-2 with both games on a 32gb cart, and the Final Fantasy VII and VIII Remastered double pack. So many FF games fully on cart in English from Play-Asia.

Untitled

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Quarth

@JaxonH Yeah, I also ordered both VII/VIII and X/X-2 from Play-Asia to get the games on one cart. I like that the VII/VIII cart shows two separate icons for the individual titles when inserted in the Switch.

I've played FFVII some more now. What a dark and gritty game, with cursing and sexual themes. There's even the word r-tard thrown in, very 90's! FFX feels very light, more like a fairy tale, in comparison.

Love the game so far! A little bit dated in some areas, but overall solid.

Edited on by Quarth

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic