Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 681 to 700 of 705

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Will do! I might grab Memories of Celceta eventually, though it's not a high priority right now. We'll see how I like the series first.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

I grabbed III in the sale. I'll give it a decent look tonight and see how it is.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Well, Origins is the old bump attack system, so if you don't think much of that it won't tell you much about MoC or any of the later games, @Tyranexx ..... Do let us know how it goes, then

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

rallydefault

I had an unexplainably magical time with the first game on Switch even though everybody says to not buy it because of the mobile graphics or whatever.

I'd never played it before (and really not much of the franchise at all) and was a bit worried about playing an RPG that's honestly pretty dang old at this point, but for whatever reason I just couldn't put it down and had an absolute blast the whole way through, grinding and all.

I'm definitely a traditionalist when it comes to JRPGs, though. Give me all those old-school menus, a turn-based battle system without any frills, and a memorable cast of characters and I will play it for hundreds of hours lol

rallydefault

Dogorilla

@rallydefault I enjoyed the first game on Switch too. I normally hate grinding in RPGs but there was something really satisfying about gradually getting stronger and being able to travel further and further from the starting area. Maybe it's because there was only one character to level up so it didn't take too long or feel overwhelming.

The only other DQ game I've played is IX, which I loved but I got stuck on the final boss and didn't finish it. I definitely want to play the rest of the series but I'll wait for the remake of III and maybe see if II gets a remake as well. It would be nice to have IV-VI on Switch too; I wouldn't mind playing them on DS normally but IV and V in particular are very expensive these days. Speaking of which, I should probably VII and VIII on 3DS before they go up in price too. (Sorry, I'm rambling a bit here!)

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

BenGrimm

1 is definitely short and sweet. 2 is a lot more grindy but I’m still enjoying so far.

BenGrimm

Ryu_Niiyama

I feel like restarting VI. I got the guide now so I should be able to find everything this time.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

jedgamesguy

Thank god XI doesn't have random encounters...

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Ryu_Niiyama

@TheJGG you don’t do like I do and tape a coin to the controller and turn on auto battling to grind on the older games? Lol

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Magician

Any chance of DQ X Offline getting a western release?

Considering there's a decade or so of content, I assume there won't be.

Never mind the fact that the west has yet to get DQ Heroes I & II.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Anti-Matter

@Magician
I already have Dragon Quest Heroes 1 PS4 Asia English version with English dub since 2 years ago.

Anti-Matter

Ryu_Niiyama

I feel like DQ heroes might come out as a switch successor game (DX version) eventually since the framerate in it is consistently bad. Since the Ps4 version is available I assume that K-T don’t see the point. And likely neither would Nintendo.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

RR529

TBH, I don't think we're missing out on much with the DQH games.

Now, it's entirely possible 2 is a massive improvement on the first (I haven't played it yet), but the original is the worst of the Warriors/Musou games I've played by far.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

iLikeUrAttitude

A bit late but I thought this was something to bring up here and to look forward to:

https://www.siliconera.com/new-dragon-quest-game-trailers-to-...

Since they specifically stated we're getting new Dragon Quest Game trailers I'm hoping we finally get another DQ3 remake trailer with a release date, it seems likely to come out since there are no other HD2D games to clog dev time, plus it's been over a year since the reveal.
I doubt we're getting anything new DQ12 wise though, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Tyranexx

Man I hope so. One of the reasons I've held off from picking up DQ III on the Switch is because I know this version is coming. I'll gladly pay more for some HD-2D graphics (and hopefully some other minor enhancements).

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Ryu_Niiyama

Ugh I see squeenix is gonna milk guide book publishing by releasing a book per X Offline expansion. Ugh gonna need a shelf just for X Offline at this rate.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Cordyceps

They've been dead quiet on that 2dhd remake for DQ3 for so long, I don't think it'll even happen. I think those pics were tech demos.

Cordyceps

Grumblevolcano

@Cordyceps Pretty sure it's just Square Enix announcing games way too early because of the Dragon Quest 35th anniversary (both DQ3 remake and DQ12 were announced for that). Square Enix celebrates the major anniversaries a lot (the ones ending in 5 or 0 like 30th, 35th, etc.) and has announcements alongside those celebrations even if they're many years away. Like it's safe to assume KH4 is many years away despite being announced in 2022 for the KH 20th anniversary.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Cordyceps

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, they do that a lot.
It's kinda hollow. "Celebrate with... well nothing yet, but we are planning something!" Didn't every anniversary go down that way? Not exactly marking the milestone, but SE LOVES top-of-mind awareness. As long as people are talking, it's all publicity. An example was the article earlier this year. "Square Enix plans to make games this year". (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/02/square-enix-planning-multiple-new-titles-and-new-ip)

The excessive media coverage is why I'm not the biggest fan of square these days (and the toxic fanbase). I'm really worried about what they're going to do to Dragon Quest when Yuji Horii passes on.

So, yeah, you're right. I hate that they announce so far out, and why does a 2dhd remake take so long?

Cordyceps

Ryu_Niiyama

@Cordyceps Nah it's coming. It's just squeenix had a LOT in the pipe line. I kinda get it as on the Switch side there wasn't as much to announce otherwise (for instance switch didn't get the new FF) so they didn't want folks to think they were quiet, it's just now all the projects are coming to a head so now it looks like DQ3 is vaporware when it isn't. I mean look at the new DQM3 which got like no lead time for an announcement and will be out this year. I feel like some projects finally caught up/finished early. I do hope that if 3 sales well that they will consider the rest of 1-6. But I would pay a mint for DQIX in DQXO graphics.

If infinity strash is good that and DQM3 should keep me for a while. Heck I still need to finish XI.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic