Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 681 to 693 of 693

Tyranexx

@TheJGG Yep, they've had all of those options in the three titles I have played. Outside of mindless grinding however, I didn't really abuse them much. As much as I enjoyed the earlier games, the AI didn't always do what I wanted even when I chose the correct style. Hence why I liked controlling the other characters most of the time. I might mess with them more in XI due mainly to how long of a run time it has lol.

IV and V on the DS had random encounters. VIII on the PS2 originally had random encounters from what I've read, but the 3DS version handled encounters pretty much like how I've read XI handles them. Believe me, that was a NICE QoL improvement. It certainly made it easier to grind for Metal Slimes. As much as I enjoy classic RPGs, I admit that fully random encounters can get quite annoying sometimes. At least some games with a classic feel, like Bravely Default and Bravely Second on the 3DS, allow the player to customize how often they deal with random encounters...if at all. Want to grind for a bit? Slide it up to the max! Hurting and need to skitter back to a town to heal? Goodbye random encounters!

@BruceCM I think I will play Ys IX at launch, though it'll be the Switch version. The irony is I also have both Ys VIII and Ys Origin backlogged as well lol.

Hello, fellow control freak! ^_^

Currently playing: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Drill Dozer (Wii U VC), WarioWare: Get It Together! demo

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

BruceCM

Probably in part because I also found the AI a bit unreliable in the older DQs, @Tyranexx.... Ys VIII is a great game, though, so I hope you can get around to it soon

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Tyranexx

@BruceCM I really hope the AI has improved so that I'm less careful about using it in XI.

Truth be told, I'm debating about just shelving IX - I'm just getting it at launch since Falcom games don't have long print runs - and jumping into VIII first, but we'll see how I feel when the time comes lol.

Currently playing: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Drill Dozer (Wii U VC), WarioWare: Get It Together! demo

BruceCM

Yeah, it won't matter for the story, at least, @Tyranexx.... Do let me know when you play either, or perhaps you also intend to get Memories of Celceta, which is good, too?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Will do! I might grab Memories of Celceta eventually, though it's not a high priority right now. We'll see how I like the series first.

NintendoByNature

I grabbed III in the sale. I'll give it a decent look tonight and see how it is.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Well, Origins is the old bump attack system, so if you don't think much of that it won't tell you much about MoC or any of the later games, @Tyranexx ..... Do let us know how it goes, then

SW-4357-9287-0699

rallydefault

I had an unexplainably magical time with the first game on Switch even though everybody says to not buy it because of the mobile graphics or whatever.

I'd never played it before (and really not much of the franchise at all) and was a bit worried about playing an RPG that's honestly pretty dang old at this point, but for whatever reason I just couldn't put it down and had an absolute blast the whole way through, grinding and all.

I'm definitely a traditionalist when it comes to JRPGs, though. Give me all those old-school menus, a turn-based battle system without any frills, and a memorable cast of characters and I will play it for hundreds of hours lol

rallydefault

Dogorilla

@rallydefault I enjoyed the first game on Switch too. I normally hate grinding in RPGs but there was something really satisfying about gradually getting stronger and being able to travel further and further from the starting area. Maybe it's because there was only one character to level up so it didn't take too long or feel overwhelming.

The only other DQ game I've played is IX, which I loved but I got stuck on the final boss and didn't finish it. I definitely want to play the rest of the series but I'll wait for the remake of III and maybe see if II gets a remake as well. It would be nice to have IV-VI on Switch too; I wouldn't mind playing them on DS normally but IV and V in particular are very expensive these days. Speaking of which, I should probably VII and VIII on 3DS before they go up in price too. (Sorry, I'm rambling a bit here!)

Currently Playing:
Pikmin 3 Deluxe (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright (3DS)

BenGrimm

1 is definitely short and sweet. 2 is a lot more grindy but I’m still enjoying so far.

BenGrimm

Ryu_Niiyama

I feel like restarting VI. I got the guide now so I should be able to find everything this time.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

TheJGG

Thank god XI doesn't have random encounters...

SoundCloud - Xenoblade Novel

NintendoLife’s number one motorsport fan!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

@TheJGG you don’t do like I do and tape a coin to the controller and turn on auto battling to grind on the older games? Lol

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic