Forums

Topic: Do you feel like the Switch is going to be a let down?

Posts 121 to 140 of 232

jump

rallydefault wrote:

I think you believe you are being witty, but the fact of the matter is that lots of people have never played Bomberman, and I'm willing to bet a bunch of forum-goers in their teens haven't even heard of Bomberman. To call it a "beloved classic franchise" is nice, but you're trying too hard to go on the attack. Bomberman hasn't been a thing for a LONG time, pretty much since the N64 for most people.

Sarcasm...

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

mav-i-am

I have Bomberman pre ordered, because I want a fun multi player that I can enjoy with my kids.

Time will tell if it is worth the money, but I obviously think it is.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

Octane

@rallydefault I was comparing your argument with other examples. Just because there are other games that are ''overpriced'', doesn't mean we cannot disagree with Bomberman's price.

I didn't say anything about Mario. I'm not really into the 2D Mario games, so I wouldn't buy them full price anyway, so I cannot really compare them.

My initial reaction when I saw Bomberman was ''Neat! A cool little eShop title.'' I expected it to be €20 at most. In hindsight, and knowing Konami, that was never going to happen. Am I excited for Bomberman R? Yes, because it's the first new Bomberman game in years, but I'm not going to pay €50 for it. I'll wait for a big price drop.

Octane

BigBadJohn

@Octane I don't care about the price as I'm independently wealthy. I might buy two copies just for the hell of it.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

rallydefault

jump wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

I think you believe you are being witty, but the fact of the matter is that lots of people have never played Bomberman, and I'm willing to bet a bunch of forum-goers in their teens haven't even heard of Bomberman. To call it a "beloved classic franchise" is nice, but you're trying too hard to go on the attack. Bomberman hasn't been a thing for a LONG time, pretty much since the N64 for most people.

Sarcasm...

Sarcasm can be pretty tough to pick up on over the internet, varying considerably with the skill of the writer attempting it.

rallydefault

jump

rallydefault wrote:

jump wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Sarcasm...

Sarcasm can be pretty tough to pick up on over the internet, varying considerably with the skill of the writer attempting it.

You're trying too hard to go on the attack.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

rallydefault

jump wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

jump wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Sarcasm...

You're trying too hard to go on the attack.

Yep. Trying real hard over here lol

rallydefault

BigBadJohn

@Emperor-Palpsy Might even buy you a copy now. Sod it! Super Bomberman R's for EVERYONE!

Please note: I am neither independently wealthy nor am I willing to buy everyone a copy of Super Bomberman R.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

shaneoh

rallydefault wrote:

And I'm glad you admit that 2D Marios are basically the same setup. So does that mean we can all start demanding that 2D Mario games cost 20-30 bucks instead of 50-60? Likely the answer would be no because... Mario. Which is my argument: THAT is a poor argument.

Bomberman level:
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/media/ps3/bomberman-ultra/bomber...

NSMB Level:
http://www.mariouniverse.com/images/maps/ds/nsmb/6-a.png

50 levels of a single screen should be cheaper than 50 levels of dozens of screens

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

BigBadJohn

@shaneoh You can't really value games based on the number of screens. I prefer to value them on the amount of enjoyment they bring and their replay ability. The cost of a game is a bit of a pointless argument. They can charge whatever they like as we live in a consumerist world. If you feel it's worth it you buy it. If not you don't. If no one buys your game at the price you set you then need to re-evaluate that price point. Don't get me wrong I wish it was cheaper but then I could say that about everything I've ever bought. As there are no full reviews of this game it's quite difficult to put a monetary value on it. I've preordered so I'll give my opinion in 21 days.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Andrzej777

Bigj0110 wrote:

I am still going to purchase the console. But it's a huge let down of my expectations, of what the console is and what it could have been!

The reason I say that is because I remember, when I 1st herd about the Switch. Nintendo said(or at least the rumors), that they wanted to cater to serious and hardcore gamers, and have the console be able to compete with the specs and power of the PS4 and Xbox One. But to me, the switch just seems like the Wii U on steroids, and it's nothing special. So at that event when they announced the console, and the features, it was a letdown for me.

In my opinion, I feel like Nintendo is still clinging on to the success of the past! Instead worrying about the present, and future of gaming. When I first heard about the console under the codename NX, honestly I thought it would have been a mixed use console. By that I mean, it would cater the kids, old school, and hard core Nintendo fans, but at the same time cater to the serious and hardcore gamers.

With that being said, their console is coming out before the next PS4 and the Xbox Scorpio(witch Microsoft said themselves that the Scorpio is supporting native 4K gaming & there's rumors that Sony is supporting 4K as well). So with that being said, for starters they could've at least have all the games be Native 1080P at minimum(because supposedly even some of their best titles that are supposed to lunch are coming in at 900P). So if they wanted to target serious and hardcore gamers, this would be a good way to start! Also, if they have wanted to, they could've taken advantage of their release date, and have gotten a head start and ahead of the pack(Microsoft & Sony), by releasing the console with native 4K gaming(at least when on the dock, on the TV).

Plus not to mention the consoles launch date title lineup is also a bit weak! Other than Zelda, I don't think there is any other game worth purchasing at the time! Then we're going to have to wait about a month for the next best game(in my opinion) Mario Kart 8(which I don't understand why everybody's making a big deal over a ported game). Plus if Nintendo wanted to cater to the serious and hardcore gamers(and maybe compete with the other consoles on the market), this would have been the perfect opportunity to do so. By maybe creating a Switch exclusive game that caters to the serious and hardcore gamers. To release on launch day alongside Zelda. Don't get me wrong, I do like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and all those Nintendo exclusive characters and games! But at the same time, I was expecting games for serious gamers as well. Along the lines of Battlefield, GTA V, & Madden etc(those games exactly, or new games made, that cater to that serious and hardcore gamers and are not "Nintendo ish"). Because that's how they were making the console seem at first(at least to me). That they were catering to serious and hardcore gamers, but at the sane time to the kids, old school, hardcore Nintendo gamers.

So, overall to me, this is just an outdated nostalgia box just with much newer hardware than the Wii U, but with still slightly outdated hardware because who only puts 32GB into console?! I mean the Xbox One and PS4 are older than the Nintendo Switch, and it comes with a minimum of 500GB. So I still feel like they're clinging on to the success of the past. With their highly successful exclusive characters and games, that they're just recycling! Plus I feel like they're also recycling their consoles(Wii and Wii U), and just making a few upgrades and rebranding it under a different name

But in all honesty, I thought that this time around, Nintendo was going to get it right! And was really going to produce a jaw dropping console! But they managed to kind of fail me this time around(in my opinion, at least to me).

Its a tough story with nintendo. First I must admit, I was quite happy with the wii u and what nintendo released for it - of course it could have been much more, thats the downside of an unsuccesful console. Be it as it may. While I couldnt care less about graphics and specs, its hard to deny that they are matter a lot when it come to the succesfullness of a console (wii notwithstanding), or at least reaching a broader audience or just making ports possible. I, too, had hoped they would have used that pascal architecture instead of going the cheaper way.
Right now third parties seem kind of reluctant, the only big announcement seems to be skyrim and fifa, the former having its roots on a 10 year old console and the latter is rumoured to be based on that 10 year old console.
I doubt that the switch will have massive third party support and I just hope this is not gonna be nintendos downfall.
Personally I dont care about third parties but in the end better support and sales will make nintendo invest more into making games instead of abandoning a console when they realize it was a commercial failure.
So yes, keeping all this in mind, the switch might actually become a let down for some people. Nintendo fans like me will it (I dont like the pricing, though) and have lots of fun with it. It will all depend on sales and to me it seems nintendo has lost their mind in many respects .

Andrzej777

BigBadJohn

Since when does 4K resultion result in a great gaming experience?

SW-5512-0541-9236

shaneoh

@Mellor2000
I agree to a degree that you can't value it on the number of screens. But the cost of the game is meant to cover costs and provide some profit on top, but I don't think the development costs for the game justify the price point, particularly when we have Zelda, which has been in development for longer, and likely required a larger number of staff.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

GrailUK

I think Kimishima's target of 80 million is achievable. I haven't been this excited about a console in a long time. I also reckon this E3 will show off a lot more games than we have been used to for the last god knows how long. Games that will build momentum leading up to Christmas.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

BigBadJohn

@shaneoh Its a fair point. I think the issue with launch titles is that they know our choice will be limited and can therefore up the price a little. Its obviously not good for the consumer but it is standard practice. I have bought some real trash during launch periods for full RRP. Having said that Im actually really looking forward to bomberman. 1 2 Switch on the other hand is a real dilemma for me because it looks incredibly poor but I can see it being a great drunk game.

SW-5512-0541-9236

TuVictus

I mean, while we're on the topic, yeah the new Super Mario Bros. Games definitely should have been cheaper. I have no problem agreeing with that lol

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

AlliMeadow

shaneoh wrote:

@Mellor2000
I agree to a degree that you can't value it on the number of screens. But the cost of the game is meant to cover costs and provide some profit on top, but I don't think the development costs for the game justify the price point, particularly when we have Zelda, which has been in development for longer, and likely required a larger number of staff.

I'd agree with you if Konami was a new studio and only needed to cover the costs for Bomberman, but it isn't like game prices reflect the production cost pluss profit. Game studios in general needs to earn a profit, but if they do that by selling some games at a break even and some at a higher point is something we have no idea about. I haven't really looked into Konami's business model at all, but for all we know Bomberman is priced the way it is because they suspect it will sell at that price and perhaps cover some expenses elsewhere. If we wanted to pay what a game is worth then the likes of Breath of the Wild and other major titles from Nintendo would be higher.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

KirbyTheVampire

Mellor2000 wrote:

Since when does 4K resultion result in a great gaming experience?

To be fair, 4K visuals would sell the Switch to people a lot more than something like the HD rumble. Of course, 4K on handheld systems probably won't be a thing for another 10-ish years or so.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Octane

AlliMeadow wrote:

I haven't really looked into Konami's business model at all,

I don't think there is one..

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.