Forums

Topic: Digital vs physical

Posts 121 to 140 of 140

SwitchForce

@MilkBone and yet you can't take it outside and have its own power source right? That HDD does nothing without power. MicroSD are coming down in price and are portable as oppose to the HDD. Just remember one Big Fact NSW can be on the road the PS4 can't even do.

SwitchForce

SpaceMonkey86

SwitchForce wrote:

@MilkBone and yet you can't take it outside and have its own power source right? That HDD does nothing without power. MicroSD are coming down in price and are portable as oppose to the HDD. Just remember one Big Fact NSW can be on the road the PS4 can't even do.

Geez, why does everyone take things so personal? My comments were in no way a knock at the Switch. I love my Switch. I understand why it uses flash media instead of a HDD. I was only replying to the title of the thread. If I could afford/justify a bigger microSDXC I would. Until then it’s physical. Oh well, such is life. Take a chill pill dude.

SpaceMonkey86

Anonjohndoe

@MilkBone you have failed to take something into account: Playstation games are vastly larger in size compared to Switch games. Most Switch games are about 5gb, meaning there is no reason for you to own anything more than 200gb of microSD storage.

You can have all the space you want on the Switch for the same price as having all the space you want on a Playstation.

Anonjohndoe

skywake

MilkBone wrote:

Expensive microSDXC memory. I was able to get a 128GB one on sale for $30 after I bought my Switch. But I can't even get close to what I have on PS4. Heck, even if I could score a 500GB microSDXC for a reasonable price I might go back to all digital. But it's just not there yet.

This is true but it is worth putting it into perspective a bit. Effectively the Switch is a portable XBox 360 with a few of the perks of modern hardware thrown in. One of those perks being that flash today is less than half the price per GB as a full sized HDD was in 2005. Not adjusting for inflation. It's also getting cheaper at a faster rate than HDD's have.

The Switch is basically sitting in an equivalent position to where the PS3/360 were around 2010. Storage wise. So it's really not quite as impossible a situation as it's made out to be.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SwitchForce

MilkBone wrote:

Geez, why does everyone take things so personal? My comments were in no way a knock at the Switch. I love my Switch. I understand why it uses flash media instead of a HDD. I was only replying to the title of the thread. If I could afford/justify a bigger microSDXC I would. Until then it’s physical. Oh well, such is life. Take a chill pill dude.

Sounds like someone read too much into the txt. Never was mentioned anyone telling what at the face of what it is. Getting torqued when nothing was directed at you tells alot when someone points out a obvious flaw in your comparison. But you already made your mind up thinking you knew but got with your pants down instead.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

Bunkerneath

I like physical because I can hold the game and say mine. Once the servers are turned off (like the Stellaview) you can still play the game.
Also if there is a game a friend would like to try and I have it, they can borrow it.
Not bothered with the internal memory debate or the price of the cards etc.

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

SwitchForce

Bunkerneath wrote:

I like physical because I can hold the game and say mine. Once the servers are turned off (like the Stellaview) you can still play the game.

Physical has something hard to describe appeal that Digital can never do.

Bunkerneath wrote:

Also if there is a game a friend would like to try and I have it, they can borrow it.
Not bothered with the internal memory debate or the price of the cards etc.

That's the results you can lend it out and or trade it with others when you get tired or bored of the game.

SwitchForce

Sisilly_G

@Anonjohndoe : I only buy physical games (with only a small number of eShop games, and I refuse to buy any digital games over 2GB as they should be released in a physical format instead), and my 200GB card is fast filling up due to scummy publishers cutting corners (releasing content as "free DLC" when it should have been on the cartridge in the first place).

DOOM gobbled up 8GB (Bethesda won't be seeing another dollar from me until they start using 32GB cards), Fractured But Whole has a 6GB patch for "bug fixes" (which is absolutely obscene), Atelier Lydie and Suelle occupies 7GB due to a patch and "free DLC", Rocket League also occupies a lot of space due to frequent updates (they really should have refrained from releasing a physical version until they were completely done with it). Among others. It all adds up.

DOOM excepted, I absolutely refuse to indulge any other games that require a mandatory download. The practice is completely unacceptable.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

SpaceMonkey86

SwitchForce wrote:

MilkBone wrote:

Sounds like someone read too much into the txt. Never was mentioned anyone telling what at the face of what it is. Getting torqued when nothing was directed at you tells alot when someone points out a obvious flaw in your comparison. But you already made your mind up thinking you knew but got with your pants down instead.

No, the two comments after yours were very well written and were more to the point of the discussion. After reading those two comments I’m actually revisiting physical vs digital on the Switch to see if I see wanna go how I am or switch over to digital.

I’m not so hard nosed to make up my mind and not change it no matter what. Because of what the following two commenters said, I’m actually considering getting Pokémon digitally.

Edited on by SpaceMonkey86

SpaceMonkey86

SpaceMonkey86

@Anonjohndoe @skywake
Thank you both for your points. I am looking into it. Yeah, if I can score a 256GB microSDXC, that should be more than enough for a long long time. I know there’s a couple games out there that still have a rather large download, but it’s not too many and games I probably wouldn’t even get. I’ll probably get Pokémon digitally.

Edited on by SpaceMonkey86

SpaceMonkey86

SpaceMonkey86

@subpopz Agreed. instead of denying yourself something, find a way that fits your circumstances best to be able to play the games you enjoy. A download size shouldn’t affect “IF” you play the game, only “HOW” you play it. Besides, if you own soooo many games that you don’t have the space, I’m sure there are several games that can be deleted to have space for the game you are actually playing right now.

SpaceMonkey86

NEStalgia

@Silly_G To be fair, Fractured But Whole really is a 6GB patch to fix brokenness rather than a mandatory download of things not on the cart. The game didn't launch with any large downloads. But that therein is the problem. In the modern age the beta is printed on disc/cart and then they can just supply the rest digitally whenever they see fit to do it based on sales and get it working right. Meet your marketing goals and your production requirements by selling broken products and taping them together later!

Sadly this means physical is merely a download booster than an actual game more times than not now (with Western publishers + Square-Enix) anyway. The industry has decided that delivering working products in pieces nets waaaay more profits than delivering complete products.

Can't wait till streaming takes over, can you?

L.A. Noire is the worst offender. It was 9GB, now it's up to almost 14GB between the mandatory download and patches to complete what's left of the game. But worse, that's not a cheap workaround for Switch cart prices: That's how they released it on PS4 and X1 too! And it's a 6 year old game!! It remains (until Smash) the largest digital "game" on my SD card by far. And that's for the physical version! Meanwhile All of Dark Souls fits under 4GB as a totally digital purchase.....

NEStalgia

SpaceMonkey86

I am always amazed at how good Nintendo is at making their first party games look and play good yet still be smaller in size. But yeah, a few of the third party can get larger.

SpaceMonkey86

FaeKnight

A 500 gb sd card might be expensive, but you can get 2 or 3 128 gb cards for around $30-$40 each. Can't afford the price of the 500 gb card? Then buy 64 or 128 gb cards when you can afford them, stop when you have enough for the games you want to buy. I mean, while an SD card can't be used anywhere else once formatted for a specific switch, you can format multiple SD cards for the same switch and swap between them. To be honest, it's what people had been doing for decades when it comes to saving their game on a console. And even a 64 gb card is enough for 16 or so games, which is not too bad.

Personally, I want to get a good sized external HD for my xb1 so I can have more then 6-8 games installed at a given moment.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

SwitchForce

FaeKnight wrote:

Personally, I want to get a good sized external HD for my xb1 so I can have more then 6-8 games installed at a given moment.

Unfortunately you forgot you can't take it on the road and play anywhere/anytime.

SwitchForce

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.