Forums

Topic: Civilization VI

Posts 181 to 200 of 409

backup368

I'm Alexander (From the Play Now option). I chose all the military-related routes I could possibly pick & yet Pedro II & Montezuma are both a step further. Doesn't make much sense to me.

backup368

Switch Friend Code: SW-3852-6842-9110

JaxonH

Amazon actually sold out of Civ VI for about a week. They just got more copies in. Must be doing a little better than expected if they sold through their initial shipment.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

edhe

Bulls#%@! I tried another "play now" game, it was me versus China, Poland, and Australia, and by 1625, Australia had already entered the information era. I was dominating China (I even razed a city and took a well defended one - albeit after losing a few Scythian horse archers to garrison one shots - they are Antiquity units after all), and they only had 2 cities to my 7 by the time I'd beaten them in a war, although Poland were able to expand much more, and were probably on my level of development.
Judging by the score, I was marginally ahead.

Enter John "Bicentennial Man" Curtin, who was able to settle like crazy, and by the 1700s had Frigates, Armies and Anti-Tank Units all over the map. Give him another 100 years, and he's have probably launched a mission to mars and won the game.

Not a fun experience.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

toiletduck

This weekend I've finally put a few hours into this and boy is this game overwhelming! I've never played any Civ game before and I've hardly ever played any other TBS game, so I knew beforehand that I would be in for a treat. I have watched some of the explanation videos on Youtube a few weeks ago.

Naturally I kicked off with the tutorial mode. About 100 turns in I finally get the feeling that I'm starting to understand the basics, but I'm far from actually choosing and following a strategy. It took a while before I realised I could use the '-' button to toggle tooltips. There's still a few things in the UI I don't get though. I'll come back here when I'm a few games in and still don't get it. I really hope the easy mode will be easy enough for me

Even though I understand the 'boardgame character' of this game, I would have appreciated if the game would've contained a campaign mode. That way, you could gradually learn the specific elements of the game instead of doing it all at once.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Mountain_Man

I believe there are scenarios you can play that give you a more focused experience if you don't feel like you're ready to dive into the deep end of the full game.

I have to say, Civilization VI on the Switch is a very dangerous combination. I started a new game this past weekend and thought I'd play a few turns while laying in bed before going to sleep. I played for almost 3-hours and finally managed to turn the game off at around 2am.

The Mountain Man

toiletduck

Yeah I can see how people sink hours and hours in this. I finished the tutorial and I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I'll try to get around to a regular game later this week to determine my starting level. It does seem to be exactly what I was looking for though: any easy going time sinker with high replay value.

toiletduck

Heavyarms55

Me: About to win via peaceful science victory

Also me: Let's nuke everyone the turn before I win.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

edhe

After a little break, I started another game, and I think I can probably play this one through to the end. I was assigned Rome - one of the easier civs to play as, and as usual (settings whacked to high), it was a bit slow, and cramped to begin with.
I cranked out a few warriors before I managed to research the required tech for Legions (so I could upgrade them at a lower cost), then France - from across the map, and Kongo declared a surprise war, totally out of the blue. I had an easier time taking their first city with a legion & archer, as opposed to war carts in a previous game as Sumer, so I'm probably in a good position to take Kongo's capital.
France won't get off lightly, provided my war enthusiasm can last me even reaching their borders.

Aztec are my neighbours, as usual, but they're fairly easy to please, so I'll probably spend the game keeping them sweet. Poland too. I've got more avenues to expand once I knock Kongo out.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

JasmineDragon

Heavyarms55 wrote:

Me: About to win via peaceful science victory

Also me: Let's nuke everyone the turn before I win.

Also me, so many times...

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Heavyarms55

Me: About to win via peaceful science victory, planning my farewell nuclear genocide.

Also Me: Wins via culture without realizing he was that close to winning via culture.

toiletduck

Quick question: in the civics tree sometimes a red logo with a sword appears next to the civics name at the same place and size where the advisors suggestion appears. What does it mean?

I'm having a blast with this. I totally feel the '1 more turn'-vibe. One mayor complaint though: in my previous game around turn 350-400 the loading of the production screen went really slow (~15-20secs), and that was just playing 4 players. May have been because I kind of ruled the entire world and almost all cities belonged to me, but anyway it became very frustrating and almost unplayable. I'm playing a 'normal' game now, without the ambition of destroying and owning all other civs. Hopefully that does a better job.

toiletduck

Late

Bought Civ VI now that it's -20% off on eShop and I have to sit in a car tomorrow for hours, so perfect timing.

Decided to start with the tutorial since I haven't really played Civ since IV. It went fine until I noticed that there's no way to save during the tutorial. I played for half an hour and I have no idea how long it would've kept going. The pacing was a bit slow and I didn't even learn that much new during the time I spent.

Anyway, I won't let that affect my enjoyment of the game too much. I'm sure I'll have a blast tomorrow once I start a normal game. At least I got some kind of grasp of the controls now.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

toiletduck

toiletduck wrote:

One mayor complaint though: in my previous game around turn 350-400 the loading of the production screen went really slow (~15-20secs), and that was just playing 4 players. May have been because I kind of ruled the entire world and almost all cities belonged to me, but anyway it became very frustrating and almost unplayable. I'm playing a 'normal' game now, without the ambition of destroying and owning all other civs. Hopefully that does a better job.

It seems that restarting the game fixes the loading times; so far it works fine again and I'm really happy about it. Hopefully it stays like this. Any ideas why this happens? Maybe it has something to do with clearing the cache or RAM or something?

toiletduck

Heavyarms55

@toiletduck It means it is the military suggestion. If you are going for a military victory, that is what the game thinks you should do.

Heavyarms55

@toiletduck For the record, just cause it is the game's suggestion, doesn't mean it is what you should do. Still look at what the game is suggesting and what comes after it, and think for yourself what you want to do.

toiletduck

@Heavyarms55 Yeah I figured that out already. Currently I'm playing on a difficulty where I can pretty much do anything I like I already noticed that my advisor doesn't really take my 'boosting strategy' into account (e.g. advising a certain tech, while I'm already building the unit required to boost it). Thanks for pointing it out though!

toiletduck

Late

So I started my first game and I'm now on turn 180. I started with a random civilization and ended up with Chinese. I quite like their unique worker skills.

I happened to get a nice little island for myself with one city state so I had enough time to get used to the new mechanics. Now I'm exploring outside of my own island since I finally got access to deeper waters. I also got my first visitor, Roosevelt, on the same turn that I discovered the needed technology. After that, I've located 3 other civilizations. I'm just hoping no one declares war on me since I don't have many units.

It's its, not it's.

CdrJameson

I'm an old Civ fan going back to Civ 2. I missed out on Civ 5 so was keenly eyeing this but what with Diablo, Pokemon, Dark Souls and Smash (to name a few) outstanding I put it off. So when I see Civ 6 is in a sale and I have £10 in gold coins to spend it somehow ends up in my library. I'll be playing this all over Christmas starting tomorrow!

CdrJameson

Late

270 turns in, Gilgamesh and Roosevelt decided to declare war on me. I was aware I'd probably end up this way after I became allies with Tomyris. I decided to go with it anyway since I wanted to see how much it takes to annoy others enough.

I really like lot of the improvements they've made since Civ IV. I like how the game informs me a lot more about things. I always thought war declarations in Civ IV were kind of sudden since the leaders didn't have as much interaction with the player and the list of plusses and minuses didn't seem to mean all that much.

I've been aiming for either culture or science victory. I didn't really understand tourists at first but now I'm starting to get hang of it. Last time I checked, I am 4th in science and 2nd in culture. Kongo is first in both and seems to have a good lead in science. Not sure if I can catch up so I might focus on culture more again once the war is over.

It's its, not it's.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic