Forums

Topic: Civilization VI

Posts 161 to 180 of 409

Mountain_Man

MattFox wrote:

I can`t wait to see how I fare( I usually completely ignore religions in games. I`ll be a monkeys uncle before I use taxpayer`s money to build worship places for corrupt institutions ).

First of all, religion in Civ games is just another system and has little in common with real world religions. You could, if you wanted, found an atheistic religion called "Ignorantism".

Secondly, speaking of spending tax-payer money on corrupt institutions, I bet you have no problem buying government buildings.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Taya

Quarth wrote:

Got it yesterday. Only had a short time to play and didn’t really understand what I was doing. All you others who are new to Civ, is the ingame tutorial enough or did you use guides on the internet?

I am new to Civ. I watched the videos by quill18 on youtube about Civ6 and they were very helpful.

Taya

Mountain_Man

Quarth wrote:

Got it yesterday. Only had a short time to play and didn’t really understand what I was doing. All you others who are new to Civ, is the ingame tutorial enough or did you use guides on the internet?

Here's a link to the instruction manual on Steam:

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/289070/manuals/CIV...

It's nearly 200-pages, but it's the best way to learn how to play. You can also access in-game help at any time with Civilopedia

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

@Mountain_Man
Oh man, that manual is amazing! It's also PDF which can be saved to Adobe Acrobat on the iPad for easy viewing.

Thanks for sharing that!

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JasmineDragon

So... hard... to... RESIST...

You guys are killing me here. I'm not allowed to buy this now, it's on my Christmakuh list. Between this and a new Lego modular that I'm craving, it's torture to wait.

I'm so glad people are having a good time with this. It's a real door-opener for the Switch if it sells well and gets good word of mouth. Would love to see an X-COM game on Switch in the future.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Farmboy74

Even though I have watched countless videos, it will be a while before I understand all the mechanics and become anywhere near proficient.

Currently still on my first game playing as Queen Victoria, I’ve lost count of how many hours I’ve put into it but it has involved three late nights. I’m around the 350 turn mark and currently in the Atomic Era. Didn’t really have a plan of what type of victory I am trying to go for, thought I would just play the game.

Farmboy74

MattFox

@JaxonH "Speaking of which, is corruption a gameplay mechanic in Civ?"

I have no idea. I was pretty much just ranting lol.

MattFox

Switch Friend Code: SW-5186-9440-8712 | My Nintendo: MattFox | Twitter:

edhe

I've had a session of roughly 3 hours (Marathon speed) so far, and it's quite enjoyable. I like how you can adapt your focus by achieving eureka moments, and play to a particular strength.

For example, I chose to play as England on a real world map. Initially, I was restricted to Britain, which is a bit of a problem (although that didn't stop me buying up part of Britanny for future purposes!), so naturally, I streamlined towards the maritime research and civics - certain tasks, like building warships facilitating that. When I stopped, I'd just settled Ireland.
My military is a bit lacking at the moment, and I while I tend to play more isolationist (and it isn't my first Civ game after all), I learned in the tutorial that your neighbours can be surprisingly belligerent. Nothing can get to me at the moment, and I can realistically develop my navy to safeguard against any invasion, but when Kongo denounces me for being poor(!), and Alexander chiding me for apparently not fighting for my people (whatever that means), I probably can't expect to be safe for ever.

Besides, England has a bonus for settling new continents, and I intend to exploit that.

I played the tutorial on handheld earlier, and the battery didn't seem to last that long. It's more suited to casual play, but we can all agree you don't play Civ in short bursts.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

JaxonH

I feel like this song could be used for Civilization VI- maybe when the credits roll or something. I know the style of music doesn't fit with the emotional orchestra soundtrack, but the lyrics are spot on

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Rich10

Just to say that I think the Civilopedia (for each Civ's description) is well worth a read, whoever wrote them has a smart sense of humour.

Friend code: SW-2475-9405-1512

Mordridakon

Right now you can buy everything on steam for less than the cost of the Switch game due to its autumn sale(there's that Switch Tax clear as day).
Still, I'd rather play on my switch than on PC because its portable and my PC is not.
I just hope this game sells well enough Rise and Fall and Gathering Storms eventually come to switch.

Mordridakon

JaxonH

@Mordridakon
I just bought all the DLC on Steam 2 days ago, including the preorder for The Gathering Storm, and it cost $85 (game not included). There was a deal for all the scenario DLC and game for $40, but the expansion was still separate and you would have to not own the game to be eligible.

Even so, I don't think Civ 6 has been victim of any Switch tax. While the tax does exist and is clearly evident for specific titles, this is not one of them. The game is cheaper on Steam because the game has already been out on Steam for some time. And after the initial sales curve drops off a cliff post-launch, they have to lower the price from time to time in order to keep sales moving. The game just released on Switch a week ago, and is selling for the exact same price it sold for on STEAM when it released (and the exact same price it's still selling for now when there's not a twice a year sale going on). It also included over half a dozen scenario DLCs for free, which the Steam release does not (again, barring special Black Friday bundles that took well over a year to actually materialize).

So the pricing is actually well in accordance with what one would expect for a new release on a new platform. The Switch tax is when a game releases for more than it sold for on other platforms when it originally released, or when releasing simultaneously. When LA Noire released for $49.99 on Switch and $39.99 on PS4/X1, that was an example of Switch tax, presumably due to cartridge costs. But Civ VI debut console release selling for the same price as on Steam when it released (and same price now when not in a sale), with a girthy list of DLCs to boot, has no connection to the Switch tax. If it had released on PS4 or Xbox One it would also cost $59.99, just like X-COM 2 did when it released on those consoles after the initial PC release.

But ya, I agree, I'd much rather play on Switch (hence why I haven't played much on PC but am binging every single day now that it's on Switch), and sure as heck hope it sells well. It didn't seem to make a splash with the physical release, as the Amazon sales ranking never even topped #125, and has since dropped to over #200. But the digital was up to #8 on the eShop today (down to #10 due to massive eShop sale). That seems disproportionately high compared to the physical release. It seems more people are buying this game digitally than most other titles, perhaps because a large chunk of gamers buying it are PC gamers who are used to buying their games digitally via Steam.

Mountain_Man

Mordridakon wrote:

Right now you can buy everything on steam for less than the cost of the Switch game due to its autumn sale(there's that Switch Tax clear as day).
Still, I'd rather play on my switch than on PC because its portable and my PC is not.
I just hope this game sells well enough Rise and Fall and Gathering Storms eventually come to switch.

Yep... Steam often has amazing deals. Civ6 is currently selling for less than $20, but owning it on the Switch is so advantageous that I don't mind paying full-price. It really is a revolutionary console.

The Mountain Man

Mogruk

Hi,
I want to try the Switch version of this game.
I bought this previously for PC and Apple Ipad.
What version is the switch more identical to - pc or ipad? I mean, is it really a full version?
Also, does it have the expansion rise and fall?
Thanks.

Mogruk

Roamer

@Mogruk well the iPad version is the full version isn’t it? And that has hot seat mode unlike the switch version.

Switch: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Valkyria Chronicles, Shin Megami Tensei
PC: Farming Simulator 22

Lroy

Really enjoyed catching up with this thread. Reassuring to hear players are enjoying the game - both veterans of the series and newcomers alike. Echoing a comment above, always interesting to hear what Civs people have a preference for playing as and why. Roll on Xmas and finally getting my hands on this gem on Switch.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

JaxonH

I ran through the tutorial to get my bearings again, then started a quick play session but restarted because I wanted a Civ more geared toward Culture and Tech.

So I've gone Warrior>Scout>Slinger and plan to make a builder next, then settler. For gvmt I've chosen Discipline and Urban Planning. For Civics I went for Craftsmanship and will prioritize Political Philosophy. For Technology I went for Pottery and was going to do the Animal Husbandry and Mining next, since I have sheep and cattle in my City limits, but I've already boosted Writing via Eureka and will hopefully boost Archery as well with my Slinger clearing a Barb camp.

I'm going to spend most of the day playing this game and watching the rest of The Last Kingdom Season 3. My boss called me for an emergency on Thanksgiving day and I had to go into work just for an hour but it's like a 45 minute drive there and another 45 minute drive back. Then he just called me 20 minutes ago and I'm like nope, I'm not even going to answer that. Thanksgiving holidays come once a year and I've already done my good deed going in once before.

edhe

Having fun with the game - I haven't progressed to far in to a game yet.

My first game as England on a real world map with accurate starting positions was a flush, because I couldn't expand off the island in any meaningful way, and it was bad enough that I had chosen marathon speed.

With my next game, I chose the quick play option, and was given Montezuma to play with. I had Gandhi in my proximity (great!, I thought), and my arch nemesis Kongo. They ultimately declared a surprise war, to which I was completely unprepared, although I was able to hold them back with a few losses. I wasn't equipped to take any cities, so it ended in a stalemate.
Then, about 5 turns later Gandhi wins the game in a religious victory, because the map is so small, and no one had formed a religion of their own. Although I had explored about two thirds of the map - a contiguous continent, he'd even managed to convert some cities of some civilization I had never even met.

So with my current game, I picked the largest map, with the civilization and city states tured to max population, marathon speed settings, and random leader and tried again. I turned off religious victory for good measure.
I was given Gilgamesh who has War Carts (viable early game, but you don't start with any, and with marathon game speed selected, my only access was quick purchasing them.
As expected, I started in close proximity to several other civilizations (India, Aztecs and Brazil), and much of my early game has been spent hunting down barbarians. Sumer's inate ability allows them to effectively pop a tribal village effect every time they clear a barbarian encampment, on top of the usual gold sum. In the early game, lacking as I was with any sort of military, I didn't really have anything to take them with - at least without having to suffer several turns of downtime as I get them to heal back up again. Now, though, I have 4 War Carts dashing about, clearing out encampments and reaping the rewards, which most of the time, consists of boring tech eurekas.

With it being on marathon speed setting, creating settlers has been tough, and with the increasingly little space I'm working with, I might find myself boxed in eventually. Luckily, after having created a settler of my own after about 70 turns into the game, I've been able to acquire no less than three second hand settlers (two within as many turns of each other), and my standing may improve significantly. That is, provided I have enough space to work with.

Speaking of which, India is now in my sights. I had previously declared a friendship with them (and every other civ I had met), but it has since expired, and I am choosing not to renew the one with India. They even came to me with a friendship deal of their own about a turn later, but I just said "goodbye". I could probably blitz their capital with my war carts - it's unlikely to have walls - as darn expensive as they are (although I have a battering ram which I may upgrade), and it's right on my border. Then, maybe Brazil, then I can have the region to myself.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

electrolite77

Physical copies are as rare as rocking horse pooh in the U.K. so quite pleased my wife has sourced me one for Christmas. Encouraging to see good reports on here.

Edited on by electrolite77

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic