Forums

Topic: Bravely Default II (Nintendo Switch)

Posts 201 to 220 of 733

Quarth

I've just finished the first boss battle. It sure feels like the first game, but with some improvements. I love that random encounters are gone!

The character models aren't that bad, I find them expressive enough. And the voice acting is OK! The music is great, love the victory theme!

So far, it feels solid.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

komodo182

So far I'm enjoying it

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

MrGawain

About 2 hours in, and loving it. Very comfortable like all the 90’s turn based RPG’s like Suikoden, FInal Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Also I really appreciate British voices- they just seem more believable to me. I get the feeling that some outside the UK may not, but in an early conversation with a NPC the way she expressed the phrase “Oh Dear” made me laugh out loud.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Diddy64

Good to see positivism in here If everything goes well, I may have the game tomorrow.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

VoidofLight

@MrGawain Yeah, I don't get reviews that say "It's distracting". Everything feels natural, and the voices aren't that bad. There's some times where a line doesn't sound completely right, but that's not all the time.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

JaxonH

I watched IGN's NVC episode yesterday, and one of the guys was giving his take on Bravely Default 2. He actually put 65 hrs into the game and beat it.

He loved it. He said it played mind games like the first one did. And there was a point toward the end he basically covered his eyes and just pressed the button while holding his breath over what would happen.

It sounds fantastic. His only nitpick was the sidequests. Said those were pretty lame. Basically just fetch Quests. But some of them led to new jobs. So if you talk to someone with a mark over their head and you get a cutscene, it's probably a side quest you want to take. As a general rule of thumb.

He also said his strategy was basically fight enemies in a Dungeon until they run away from you, and then do 2 more levels for good measure. He said that left him in pretty decent shape for the bosses. Some were still hard, and he said one was infuriating to the point he lowered difficulty to Easy just to beat the boss quick, but that aside it didn't feel impossibly hard or anything.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

VoidofLight

There's actually only one character who has.. a really not so great voice so far. The main antagonist guy. His voice just doesn't fit, and really sounds.. bad.. other than that though, I really like how the voice acting sounds so far.

Crispe

I'm not really feeling the voice acting. I'm about 4 hours or so in and I'll give it a bit more time, but I can see myself switching to Japanese sooner rather than later.

Crispe

Henmii

Hmm, I might buy it someday but I am not that hot on it. I am not a big rpg person and I am not that fond of the chibi look they are using. Besides, the second demo looked worse to me (while the first demo looked pretty nice, I found the second demo to look fuzzy in handheld. Maybe that's just me?). I usually buy those games and play for 20 hours. It happened with bravely default. It happened with bravely second, octopath (that one looks amazing by the way). And it might happen with triangle strategy too, although that's more of a different genre. I have the triangle demo though, might try it soon.

Henmii

VoidofLight

The only thing I hate about the game is how glitchy it is. Certain sidequests cause the game to freeze before a cutscene plays, abd some cutscenes freeze entirely for a few seconds before resuming. There’s also the glitch where the game freezes for a brief amount of time after you hit the party chat button, or try to open menus.

JaxonH

Got to finally start really digging in today, and wow... I'm loving it.

The game has such a charming style and great characters. I love the slick menus and dialog. I just really love Bravely Default. And this new entry does not disappoint.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

JaxonH wrote:

He said it played mind games like the first one did.

That's a big plus. Even with the obnoxious looping structure, I loved how subversive the main thrust of the original's plot ended up being with regard to traditional Final Fantasy tropes.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I was getting some different opinions from people playing Bravely Default II, and several said they actually really loved the loop of the first game. Not that they wanted it in every entry moving forward but that it fit in the context of that one game. Most opinions I've heard have been "it sucked, killed the game, made me stop playing" so it was interesting hearing a different take. They said it was really only 4 bosses you had to fight again. The rest was changed enough it was worth experiencing to see what had changed, and said something about being able to skip ahead or fast travel or something, if you wanted.

In any case, this game seems like a much more refined entry, and I'm so in love. I love the art style so much, the characters (they're such a mishmash but they also fit together perfectly, as if it's a world where people travel to and fro, far and wide, from all different lands and cultures and accents). I love the battle system, the jobs, the enemy designs, and the fact its not afraid to give a decent challenge. Like Final Fantasy X- that game was no pushover. Not that it was insanely hard, but it engaged the player. It was just right. And at least so far, BD2 also feels just right.

I'm so glad to see this game doing so well. It's still top 20 on Amazon and rocketed up to top 10 on the eShop. I'm so glad. I was afraid people had maybe lost their love for the series in this HD portable era. I sooooo want the series to continue, with ever larger budgets and production values. I love BD so much. I'm also glad to see the HD2D series is being continued. The combination of Bravely Default and various spiritual successor of different rpg genres in the Octopath style is more than I could have ever hoped for.

I feel like we won the RPG lottery on Switch.

Ralizah

@JaxonH It's four bosses within each loop. So, I forget if it was three or four loops, but imagine just killing the same difficult bosses over and over, for hours and hours on end, with little variation. There's variation in the side-content, but I hardly even engaged with it after the loop began because it was maddening doing the same damned thing over and over and I just wanted out. It makes sense within the context of the narrative, but it still just flat out sucks to experience. In addition to being monotonous, it destroys the pacing.

And you can't skip it. You can opt out early if you want to bypass the last hours of the game (which are actually really good, and the only reason to even bother persisting through the loop chapters) and get a crappy ending, but otherwise, you HAVE to do the loops.

Anyway, hopefully BD2 balances the difficulty better than the original. The first game has a very approachable hard mode until halfway through the game, and then the difficulty spikes to an insane degree. I went from rocking it on the hardest difficulty to struggling on normal difficulty after the spike happens.

Really, it's amazing the original has so many fans, considering how utterly flawed it is.

Does BD2 look any better than the demo did? It was kind of ugly on the TV, IMO. I'll probably just stick to the Switch Lite for this game when I get around to it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

rallydefault

I'm definitely getting it. I was a little jarred by the art style for the characters at first when I played the demo, but I'm sure I'll get over it and I think the environments are gorgeous (I could get over the stump legs in Fire Emblem on 3DS, I can get over anything lol).

Quick question for those who bought physical: I assume the whole game is on the cart?

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I think the flaws didn't detract from the fact that it's a great game. Like, if people hated that one aspect and believed it would be a permanent pillar of every game going forward, I imagine it wouldn't have as many fans. But when it's something where, OK the game is excellent but I just wish they didn't do this one thing, which won't be done in any future entries because it's plot specific to this game, it doesn't really stop people from loving the series.

Plus there's plenty of people like me who played a good chunk of the game but never got that far, and thus never even encountered any major issue. And then the 2nd game brought in fans too I'm sure.

As for BD2, I think it looks incredible. But, I thought the demo looked incredible too. I don't recall any issues on the TV with the demo. I only barely played the full release on the TV, and have played the rest in handheld. But from what I remember, it seemed fine. Nothing jumped out at me screaming "this looks bad". In fact, I distinctly remember taking quite a few screenshots in admiration of how good it looked. Of course, it's no Monster Hunter Rise. But for the style of game it is, it looked great to me.

But I'd take that with a grain of salt because again, I thought the demo was fine on the TV. I didn't know people thought otherwise, tbh.

It looks good in handheld though. Not perfect. There's a few pixelations and jaggies, but nothing to get up in arms about. Here, I'll share a snapped screenshot...

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

VoidofLight

@Ralizah It looks a bit rough compared to the demo, but I wouldn't say it's unplayable. Cutscenes and special attacks look really really great honestly.

BruceCM

Yep, it didn't want to download anything for it, @rallydefault .... I like the graphics a lot! Since I only have a Lite now, that is all handheld, so I dunno about the TV mode So far, at least, I'm not having any major difficulty spikes, since I'm doing side-quests & exploring well

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Crispe

I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I read some tips for starting out (eg level up Freelancer for the JP bonus) that I think have helped me from getting too frustrated. Visually it is a bit of a mixed bag. Turning off the blur helped a little but I was getting a little nauseous panning the camera in docked mode in the desert zone with that rippled effect over the top of everything.

Crispe

Glitchling78

Personally I don’t have an issue with the graphics. The blur doesn’t look great but everything else I’m pretty happy with. The character designs I really like. I’ve seen people say it looks like a mobile game but personally I can’t see that. Besides, there’s some pretty mobile games in amongst the dross! Yeah, the aliasing is noticeable in handheld but it’s nothing compared to Xenoblade 2.

That said, I’ve only just reached the desert part of the world map so still quite early. The brave/default system is still satisfying. It took some adjusting but I think I prefer how they’ve handled turn order in this game. The weight mechanic feels completely tacked on though, I like how its apparently factored into the turn order but becoming “overloaded” feels like an extra arbitrary barrier on top of the pg cost of the equipment and efficacy with your chosen job.

I would like to know though, what accent does Adelle have, if any? It sounds like she has one but I can’t place it and I’m not sure if it’s my ignorance or weird voice acting. If I had to guess I’d say Welsh but I wouldn’t bet money on that.

Edit: just added a bit I missed in a sentence.

Edited on by Glitchling78

Glitchling78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic