Forums

Topic: Borderlands Legendary 3-Pack Nintendo Switch

Posts 161 to 180 of 206

Mountain_Man

I'm surprised to say that I'm not finding BL2 any more difficult on the Switch compared to mouse and keyboard. I die with the same frequency, and the parts I have trouble with are the same parts I have trouble with on the PC. These ports are exceptionally well done.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

Made it to a new area where everyone is driving around in buggies. And it's considerably more difficult in this area, with noticeably better loot. Finally got a good shotgun. Now I have good pistol. Good shotgun. Good sniper rifle. Excellent grenades (the sky rocket? Ooohoooho watch out, or the corrosive grenade with x10 child grenades for 5,000+ total damage? Get ready). Just need my 4th slot opened up with a good SMG or assault rifle.

@Mountain_Man
Are you playing utilizing the gyro aiming to help fine tune? It's not quite as good as mouse but still twice as good as normal analog sticks alone. And retains the comfort of a controller which allows armchair living room play.

The ports really are exceptional. I've observed a noticeable uptick in port quality on Switch lately. On average, ports are seeing better resolutions and framerate consistencies then they were earlier in the Switch's lifespan.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Mountain_Man

@JaxonH Yeah, I'm using gyro aiming. What I'm saying is that it's as easy to play on the Switch as it is with mouse and keyboard. The controls are really well done.

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

@Mountain_Man
I’ve got nothing but praise for the controls myself. I don’t play with a mouse but I do have other games to compare to, and both the analog sensitivity/acceleration and gyro is chef’s kiss

Even in tabletop mode at work with the joycon in the grip, I smash in this game. Love it.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Mountain_Man

The Switch has changed my mind about whether or not FPS games can be played with a controller. Motion control is a game changer. Literally!

The Mountain Man

Jawessome

JaxonH wrote:

I just discovered you can remap buttons in Borderlands in game

In the menu where you choose your controller layout, on the right you’ll see the option to press X to customize your control scheme however you want! This whole time I had switched R and y on the system level, which admittedly was better than nothing but now that I realized you can do it in game it actually changes the prompts for the buttons to match the change. Plus you don’t have to deal with it changing in the menu when you’re trying to tab over or dealing with the system prompts every time you come from sleep mode or changing it back when you play another game.

So awesome. Can’t believe I missed that.

I still can't swap crouch and jump in Borderlands 2 using the ingame menu. It says they are changed but arent. Its very frustrating.

Jawessome

zool

Having said in a post above I was considering Borderlands, I've bought Bioshock.

When they were released together with XCom 2, I wanted to play them all, my first choice being XCom 2. But after watching reviews of Xcom2, I ruled that game out.

This thread convinced me that Borderlands was the one to get, and I almost did. I checked to see what free memory I had, thinking I had plenty. I had 25gb's. My card is 128gb and most of my games are physical. I deleted some stuff and freed up 5gb, still not enough. Them I noticed that I bought Spiro as a download a while ago and that was 40gb, I archived Spiro and freed up the 40gb, now I have more than enough for Borderlands. But not for any other big downloads. If I invested in another memory card it would have to be at least 256gb and more likely 512gb to future proof memory for a couple of years. I don't want a collection of small memory cards.

Cost is not as important to me as value for money. Bioshock will have a modest trade-in value but Borderlands has none and the eshop price is £5 more expensive than the physical copy. None of this makes sense. I guess Borderlands will be in a sale one day.

The Switch was not designed for games like this, with out a lot of compromise. XCom 2 had to compromise frame rate, graphics, and memory card capacity. Borderlands and Bioshock the memory. XCom 2 scores review points because it managed to make it to the Switch at all, with comments like, if you can ignore the graphics and frame rate and have memory there is a good game in there, at a very high price. But if you have a PS you can pick the game up for £10.

We need a better Switch designed to cope with 4 year old third party games, their size frame rate and graphics. And not be afraid to charge more for something decent. If they have a console stripped of memory and power to keep the cost down then those gamers that want to play third party games like the above will jump ship.

zool

Mountain_Man

zool wrote:

The Switch was not designed for games like this, with out a lot of compromise.

What are you talking about? The Borderlands ports are excellent. You'd really have to nitpick to find fault with them.

As for XCOM 2...

zool wrote:

XCom 2 scores review points because it managed to make it to the Switch at all, with comments like, if you can ignore the graphics and frame rate and have memory there is a good game in there

No, it scores well because it's a great game, and the Switch port is very good. It's a turn based game, so the occasional performance dips — if you even notice them — don't impact the gameplay in the slightest, while the visuals are basically the PC version set to minimum but still look great and retain the essential XCOM aesthetic. Again, you'd really have to nitpick to find fault with this port. I know from a purely technical perspective it's a "compromise", but it doesn't look or play like it.

The Mountain Man

zool

@Mountain_Man not really nitpicking because as you say the game is good, I don't disagree; it's the Switch system that is at fault. X com 2 got the lowest score of the three games, not because it the worst game, but because it had to take the most compromise to get it on the Switch. Third party companies want their old games on the Switch, it's another revenue flow for them. But they do struggle trying to achieve this, some do it better than others.

For me a game purchase has to show value for money. A physical game should be just that, if it takes a 64 GB card in the box to put the game on then that is what we should get. There are reasons why some gamers prefer physical, and to pay extra for a larger card capacity is better than buying more Switch memory and not having a resale value.

And another thing, Demos. I played demos and bought the game on the back of it. I have also avoided a game after playing the demo. Why not let the purchaser decide with a demo?

Now maybe there is a more powerful and expensive Switch around the corner which can handle these games without compromise, that would be good. But maybe nothing on the horizon at all. In which case Nintendo is selling the Switch as a handheld device mainly, where compromise is expected and a PS5 is the home console Nintendo gamers really want.

zool

Mountain_Man

It's curious to me that people think "compromise" is an inherently negative word when there can be good compromises, and bad compromises. In the case of XCOM 2, I think they made good compromises to bring it to the Switch because the game still looks and plays great. Whatever compromises were necessary to get it to run on the Switch does not create a negative experience for the player.

On the other end of the spectrum is a game like Outer World where the muddy visuals, extreme pop-in (such as enemies suddenly appearing out of thin air around the player), and framerates that drop to the low-20s during combat all create a negative experience.

Which is to say that if we get more ports that make XCOM 2 kinds of compromises, and fewer that make Outer Worlds kinds of compromises, then I'll be happy.

As for cartridge capacity, that's a whole other debate. Literally.

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/physical_...

My thoughts on the matter are posted here: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/physical_...

The Mountain Man

zool

@Mountain_Man concessions maybe more appropriate. If you are looking to play a game like Borderlands on the go then concessions could be viewed as positive, but played on a large screen then slightly negative.

But the compromise with Borderlands is the physical game compared to the eshop version.

Putting a small portion of the game on a card and selling it in a retail box with a code and instructions that you will need a memory card with 40gb of space, is hardly a true description of a physical game.

It's not rocket science to use a bigger capacity card and charge a bit more for the game. Physical games sell for less than eshop games, so there is a margin there and the resale value would make up the difference for non collectors.

The other argument is, if the download price was more realistic, more gamers would consider it.

I wish there was a demo of XCom 2 because if it is as you say I would get it. And I will keep Borderlands in my watch list and buy it at 50% off in six months.

Edited on by zool

zool

Mountain_Man

@zool I understand your point of view, and I agree that selling a download code on a cartridge is a distasteful practice. If publishers are going to do that then they shouldn't even bother with a cartridge release at all.

The Mountain Man

pikku

Hey, does anyone know if any or all of the Borderlands games support local wireless multiplayer?
(As in, not online, not split-screen multiplayer, just to clarify lol.)

EDIT: nevermind I’m an idiot. It would help if I had actually read any of this thread beforehand lol

Edited on by pikku

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

NintendoByNature

Going to grab the entire collection today, I believe. Do i start with 1 or the pre- sequel?

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@Tasuki good stuff thanks. So gamestop emailed over a $10 coupon on $50 or more. I walked into gamestop and they only had the display copy there( which I typically hate, but whatever). I asked for a discount since they didn't have any sealed copies, and thankfully the guy said yea ill give you 10% off plus the $10 off. So i walked away with the collection for 35 bones. Not bad.

NintendoByNature

Tasuki

@NintendoByNature Wow an intelligent GameStop employee. I can't tell you how many times I went into GameStop and they tried the ole last copy so it's open but we will charge you full price scam. Which is why now if I want a game new I just buy it from somewhere else then GameStop. If I want used then I will go to GameStop.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

NintendoByNature

@Tasuki yea I hate when they pull that. Thankfully it worked in my favor this time. I cant really complain. I usually do Wal-Mart for discount they give on games in store. Not like it matters anyway considering most of the collection is DL anyway, so even if it was "used" or open, i Have to DL 2/3 anyhow.

Which brings me to this question. Even the 1st game on the cart requires a 7gb DL? I just got home and went to fire it up and boom, asked me to DL the update. Kind of blows

NintendoByNature

Mountain_Man

Why I bought them digital. Cart is a bit pointless for games like that.

As for the order, if you care about story (not that it's anything great), then it's 1, 2, Pre-Sequel. If all you care about is gameplay then start with 2.

The Mountain Man

NintendoByNature

So I've been playing a good 6-8 hours and this game is so awesome(first game). I played bioshock 1 before this, and the two don't really compare in imo. Sure the atmosphere was better in bio, but the game play is far better in borderlands. Glad I went for the collection instead of individually. In the same breath, glad I only bought the indivual version of bioshock 1 instead of the collection, since I wasn't crazy about it.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic