Forums

Topic: The Mega Man Fan Club

Posts 1,361 to 1,380 of 1,455

ThePirateCaptain

Just recently I beat Mega Man II for the first time and I figured I might as well share my thoughts.

From the minute you hear the opening title theme, you know the music is going to be awful. It's just ear grating and not pleasent in the slightest. I'm guessing that there are some decent compositions hidden somewhere under the abysmal instrumentation, but it's hard to tell. The only two songs I found bearable were Metal Man's stage and the final Wily stage. Aside from the music though, I found the gameplay to be rather bland and uninspired. While Dr. Wily's Revenge put a spin on the levels it borrowed, these feel like a copy and paste job from the NES games, just less exciting.

I can't say I noticed too many of the sprites to be poorly made except for the final boss. I have to point it out because I couldn't even tell it was Wily until I had beaten the first phase of the fight. So to sum it all up, I can't really recommend the game unless you know what you're getting into and are simply curious as to how bad the game is.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

KarrotMan

Just bought Xtreme 2 and having beat the X scenario and tackle one maverick from the Zero scenario, I have to say it's a major step up from the first game. For one, most of the stages do feel more like Remixes of the SNES games rather than a rehash as opposed to the first. Also, there is a shop in the stage select for you to buy (useful) enhancement chips owned by the tragically popular Iris from X4. Really, these chips basically overpower an already overpowered armored X which reaches the OP levels of the Ultimate Nova-spamming armor from the playstation games. Lastly, there's Zero who takes cues from X4 and fights alongside X as a fully playable character. If you could only get one of the Xtreme games, choose this by a long shot. The game brings more to the table and gives the player a better incentive to replay the game three times. Is it better than MM IV or V on the GB? not really but out of the 6 GB games released this may, this definitely comes third.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

Tasuki

Made some more progress on Mega Man V. I defeated Venus and Dark Moon and now I have the other four Stardroids to do.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tasuki

Well Pluto is down and now I am onto Uranus. This one is a toughy particularly the mini boss. The main problem I have with him is the moving platform.

My Backlog

StarBoy91

So a couple months ago I gave the original series canon a chance (albeit on Mega Man Anniversary Collection) and I was so glad that I did (but I felt bad for not truly appreciating the original games until recently because most of them are really enjoyable). I played and beat the first six games consecutively, and I liked them. I liked II and III the most, with IV being a close third, and feeling that VI (while still fun) was the weakest out of the 8-bit games. My least favorite entry in the original series canon is the 16-bit Mega Man VII, which I personally found highly disappointing and stale (since nothing really new was contributed for this entry), and a little depressing as well because I had gotten to like the previous six iterations right beforehand (each of which felt fresh with new ideas even though the formula was the same). I wanted to like it, because admittedly there is a lot to like in it, but I could just not bring myself to do so. Also, incredibly unreasonable final boss encounter with Dr. Wily just kills the game for me, and it took Capcom three months to make this game... that's an achievement, I'll give it that much (but the fact that they deliberately made Dr. Wily's second form hard; now that's just despicable). Though honestly I'd much rather play Mega Man X2 and X3 than to go through VII, if only 'cause at least those two are enjoyable (even though I don't think either sequel is as good as the first Mega Man X). Oh well, at least I had fun playing the first six games (and more good than bad is better than nothing),... can't say how I feel about Mega Man 8 because I haven't touched it in years. I did unlock the two arcade Mega Man fighting games in the process: I didn't like them either, for they were way too short and way too mindnumbingly easy for their own good (though I'll admit the visuals are pretty to look at).

So here is my order of favorites with the original series canon:

• Mega Man III (best)
  • Mega Man II
  • Mega Man IV
  • Mega Man V
  • Mega Man
  • Mega Man VI

Worst offender:
Mega Man VII

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Tasuki

@WanderFan91: That is pretty much how I rank them too. While alot of people feel that Mega Man II was the cream of the crop I actually like III more. I dont know if it's just the darker undertones of that game or the fact that they introduce so much that became staples in the series but I just like III more.

As for the Arcade games they are fun with another player but like you said they are just too easy for their own good. They are a nice little bonus though.

My Backlog

StarBoy91

I like how Proto Man (or Blues like he was known in Japan) was introduced in Mega Man III and how his role (good guy or bad guy) is left ambiguous (until the very end, but he still retains his mysterious edge), sort of like how Meta Knight is in the Kirby series. Oh, and Mega Man's robotic pet pooch Rush is nice too, but Proto Man is cooler. I liked the new characters that were introduced in IV (Eddie the lottery robot, who I've grown to like as a secondary character; another reason I don't like Mega Man VII: he's not even in it! Oh, and Dr. Cossack and his daughter were okay) and V (the robotic bird Beat, who's cute but has got a powerful arsenal; in VII he just lifts you up from offscreen, and he can only do it four times period once you find him) as well. In Mega Man VI I was just dumbfounded as to what Mr. X's secret is (like it's hard to put two and two together when after five games it's obvious who he really is, which contradicts what he said in the intro about not needing Dr. Wily's help anymore and having "manipulated him all along"). I mean, really, that is just ridiculous... about as ridiculous as the final boss in VI being a cakewalk in and out of comparison to everything else, imo.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Tasuki

Lol yeah I love Mr. X. All he did was put on some shades and a beard. As Roham Mythril said in his Mega Man VI perfect runs, "Is there anyone out there that was actually surprised that Mr. X was indeed Wily?" Lol.

Speakin of robotic animal companions I would love to see Tango come back if Capcom ever does a Mega Man 11.

My Backlog

KarrotMan

Well, Tango did make a cameo in Proto man's scenario in MM10, though I'm quite disappointed they didn't make him an assist item, next game maybe? As for my ranking it changes slightly year to year, but I'd go:
3 > 9 > V > MM&B > IV > 2 > 7 > 5 > 10 > 6 > 4 > III > 8 > Wily's Revenge > 1 > II > MM&B2 >>>> PC trash

Yep, that's alot of games and this is not including the good number of fan games I played. Despite what a good chunk think of MM7, it definitely feels like a breath of fresh air after playing the NES games. It took cues from the GB games and added in a shop system. I also like that there are secrets to be found in each stage and how some of the weapons affect them. Speaking of which, the weapons you get from this game are a step up compared to the likes of 4,5&6. Not only are they fun to use, but the also serve as utilities that can open secret paths. As much as people love to hark on the last boss, I loved the challenge and didn't really think he was all that bad. Just wished it wasn't another appearing/disappearing saucer battle.

Edited on by KarrotMan

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

StarBoy91

I hear that the ending of Mega Man VII was not appropriately emulated in Mega Man Anniversary Collection, as Capcom used an entirely different one (from what I recall looking up years ago).

I haven't played Mega Man 9 and 10, but I've heard good things about them; it's just too bad that I wasn't that head over heels about the original series canon back when they came out, otherwise I would've gladly went for them. I'm really missing out I realize; I would like for these two to be rereleased again (maybe for the Nintendo Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS).

I wasn't too big on the original series years ago, but I did like the X series and beat the first three games on Mega Man X Collection... and that's it. For some reason I stopped playing while in the middle of Mega Man X4, but I did unlock Mega Man Battle & Chase, and the crazy thing is that it was never released in America by itself. Why? It's not that bad! Okay, so it's one of those kart racing games that apes off of Mario Kart (much like CTR: Crash Team Racing did years later,............. and several others as well), but all things considered I thought it was a fun racing game all by itself. Very colorful too, though visually it's not as good as it looked back then. It's a little unfair that it was only released in Europe and Japan, as I don't think it's that bad a Mega Man spinoff; not great, but it could've been worse.

Would've liked it if it had come in America as well; like fun titles such as Pop'n TwinBee, Super Bomberman 3, Terranigma, Parodius Da!, TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventure, Mickey's Wild Adventure (the PlayStation port of Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse), or even----
Untitled
Xandra no Daibōken: Valkyrie to no Deai, otherwise known as Whirlo in Europe; I kind of regret importing this one =( It's messed me up emotionally
Okay, they can keep that one!

... Sorry, I do that sometimes. Mega Man Battle & Chase; imo, not great but not bad either. Should probably consider looking for Mega Man Soccer one of these days... not sure how that concept was possible (Mega Man and the Robot Masters playing soccer against each other), but I'm intrigued.

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

MegaStoneSmash91

Speaking specifically about the Classic series, I notice flaws in the games just like anyone else. I find it hard to truely dislike any of them, though. It makes it difficult to rank them, and as a result I have no such list. I like them all, some more than others and some for different reasons. Most complaints about the games I disagree with because of my overall positive attitude toward the series. Right off the top of my head, the only game I have some strong complaints about is Mega Man 5. However, it is in no way a bad game or a bad entry in the series, and I do enjoy playing it much like any of the others. It just seems to have more flaws than some other titles.

Making a giant list seems time consuming and unnecessary, but if we were to start individual discussions about specific games, I'd be more than happy to give my two cents on them. If anyone cares, that is.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Tasuki

I have yet to play Mega Man 9 and 10 guess I should download those one of these days.

As for the original series I don't know about six being the worst, I actually liked six over five. Five just felt bland to me and rushed more so then six. Way to many generic enemies in five. I mean how many times did they reuse those robot chickens. There were no unique enemies in the stages of five that seemed to fit only in that stage.

As for seven its been awhile since I played that one. Perhaps I will hook up my Wii this weekend and do a playthrough of the AC on Gamecube.

My Backlog

KarrotMan

MM 5 IMO is the middle ground of the series and also the safest entry. It plays like a charm and the most of the stages and Robot Masters have a unique quirk that were fun to plough through, but the game felt like it was just, there. It never did anything to enhance the previous game's mechanics unless you count minor additions like the super arrow (an item that felt almost redundant since Rush was already available) and Beat(who is my least favorite support unit in the series). Even then, it didn't feel like a step up the way 2, 3 and 4 felt. It didn't really help that the weapons you get are overshadowed by your charge shot. Rambling aside, I still enjoy MM5 and think it's the most "polished" game of the series if you don't count weapons.

Plus, the music in the game is a blast to listen to, plus the fan remixes aren't too shabby either:
Rockman Holic - Napalm Jazz
We Are Rock-Men - Dark Man Side-R

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

Romeo

only played Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3.. what other mega man games would you recommend?

and seriously.. how hard could it possibly be to simply give us a new Mega Man game??
capcom has A LOT of fans, they all LOVE mega man... the game would definitely sell well and wouldn't cost that much to develop (especially compared to other games)

• these types of games don't need 2,5+ year development time... why won't the simply give us a new one? :/

Romeo

KarrotMan

@Romeo You've basically played the best of the series, sans MM9. If you haven't gotten it yet, try it out for yourself if you have a PS3/360/Wii. Definitely has the best and most challenging stages in the Classic series. I could also recommend you try out MMIV(GB), MMV(GB) on the 3DS and MM10 on consoles. All great games and definitely friendly to new-comers. Classic games aside, the MM X series is also great and recommend you try out the first one on VC if you have the time.

As to why Capcom's not releasing Mega Man games, just be thankful you have alot of backlog to play through seeing that you basically only played 2 games of the (classic) series. There are over 100 games in the franchise and for a niche game series, that is damn impressive. One can go on that the series is being treated poorly by Capcom but looking back, that isn't the case. We've had characters from the series appearing in fighting games like Marvel vs. Capcom and even Smash Bros., we've also had numerous game rereleases to introduce newcomers thus sparking interest in the series itself. Mega Man isn't Capcom's cash cow but it gets decent recognition for a series with a very vocal minority.

Youtube Lp'er Clement gave out a solid argument regarding this and you can watch it HERE.

Edited on by KarrotMan

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

StarBoy91

What I find cool about Mega Man V was that its soundtrack was composed by Mari Yamaguchi, who also helped contribute some of the music in the first Breath of Fire and composed soundtracks for Super Ghouls'n Ghosts and The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse. She's a cool composer.

The final boss encounter in Mega Man VI was just too easy for me; with the previous five games it at least took me a few tries to beat the final boss (with its multiple forms), but with this entry there just wasn't enough effort on it I felt and beat it on my first try.

@Romeo - I recommend you play Mega Man IV next (the NES one). It's a neat entry, plus during some portions of it there is a Russian motif which I find interesting. And the Robot Masters in it were cool too, like Skull Man and Pharaoh Man. You could even charge your blaster for the first time in the series here (also it introduces the lottery robot Eddie, who you'll meet from time to time).

Never played the Game Boy Mega Man games.

You know what's ironic about Mega Man VII? Aside from the fact that it got a PAL release but Mega Man VI didn't at the time (much like the fact that Breath of Fire II got a PAL release but the first one didn't at the time)? (I'm sorry, but you'd think that gamers in the PAL region, with titles like these retained and unaltered, would all be like: "Wait, did we skip a game?") The fact that (outside of being a part of Mega Man Anniversary Collection) it wasn't rereleased once. Even Mega Man 8 had more than one version of it (it was made for both the PlayStation One and the Sega Saturn).

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

MegaStoneSmash91

Karakato wrote:

MM 5 IMO is the middle ground of the series and also the safest entry. It plays like a charm and the most of the stages and Robot Masters have a unique quirk that were fun to plough through, but the game felt like it was just, there. It never did anything to enhance the previous game's mechanics unless you count minor additions like the super arrow (an item that felt almost redundant since Rush was already available) and Beat(who is my least favorite support unit in the series). Even then, it didn't feel like a step up the way 2, 3 and 4 felt. It didn't really help that the weapons you get are overshadowed by your charge shot. Rambling aside, I still enjoy MM5 and think it's the most "polished" game of the series if you don't count weapons.

Basically how I feel about it as well. It just doesn't feel as good as the other games. You and @Tasuki have already pointed out some of the problems I have with it, but I'll give a little list of them anyway.

-This is strictly my opinion, but the music seems rather underwhelming when compared to other games in the series. Most of it is slow and not too catchy or all that fun to listen to. It makes good background noise, but isn't good for a whole lot else. Rarely do I find myself humming the songs, mostly because I can barely remember how they go. I do like Star Man's stage theme, though, as well as the Wily stage theme.
-The Special Weapons are some of the worst ever. Most of them are pretty useless aside from using them on the Robot Masters themselves. The Mega Buster outperforms all of them. The weapon you start the game with and that doesn't require energy is better than everything else you have to work for to acquire.
-The lack of varied and themed enemies. A good number of the enemies are used in just about every stage, and there are very few themed ones that fit the stage they appear in.
-This is the only game in the series that reuses the original boss rooms for the Wily Teleporter re-fights. Instead of a recolored room to fit with Wily's Castle, entering one of the teleporters will put you into the exact same room that you fought the Robot Master in at the end of his stage. Even the boss gate is still there.
-Speaking of the boss gates, they aren't as tall in this one for some reason. Pointless and odd.
-Rush Coil has been downgraded. Normally, jumping on Rush's back would activate a spring which caused Mega Man to be launched upward automatically, In this game, the spring has been moved to Rush's belly, and he now acts as a sort of platform. When you jump on him, he jumps with Mega Man on his back. You now must manually jump off his back after he jumps to get anywhere. It basically feels like a speedy version of Item 1 from Mega Man 2. It also requires more energy now, using 4 bars instead of 3.
-Also of note, while not technically a problem, is the abundance of 1-ups. It isn't uncommon to get 3 extra lives in one stage, or possibly even more. The drop rate of 1-ups from enemies must have been increased or something, and it makes Game Overs an extremely rare occurrence. In fact, I have never gotten a Game Over on Mega Man 5. Not once. I actually had to look up the Game Over theme to hear it at all since I had never had the chance through normal play.

That's pretty much all I can think of. I do still enjoy playing 5, but it isn't one of my favorites. None of these things make it a bad game either, and it's still Mega Man.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

StarBoy91

Well give Mega Man V this much credit at least: it had much better executed final boss battles than the ones you fought in Mega Man VI. I personally found Mega Man VI to be a weak entry (how unfortunate that it had to be the Blue Bomber's 8-bit swansong; but I'll take it over average and stale Mega Man VII any day--I didn't like how that game handled the Proto Man whistle sound effect (among other things), I thought it sounded a little off compared to the 8-bit sound), and I beat the final boss in VI one on my first try.

And now that you mention it, I did find it curious how Mega Man V gave you several lives (sometimes in a row).

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

KarrotMan

Mega Man 6 is one of the weaker games of the classic series yes but I still find it to be an impressive NES game, the backgrounds have to be the best of the first 6 games. Just take a look a Tomahawk Man's stage for reference. The branching paths gave an interesting quirk to the stages and even if it wasn't a major game changer, it gave me more incentive to replay the stages just to complete all my items. Speaking of items, the new Rush armors have to be the best support items in the series behind MM3's Rush Jet. The Rush Jet armor in particular is a blast to use plus I love that sprite of him flying in the air. I may be in the minority in this one but I thought the sound track was one of the better OST's and had more great songs than the likes of MM2. Best tracks include Flame man, Tomahawk man and X castle 1. I just like the combinations of the instruments used and the more complex composition IMO.

But yeah, MM6 isn't perfect and I already explained months ago that the bosses weren't that great. Also my biggest gripe has to be a nitpick interestingly. Unlike past games, when Mega man slides, you cannot jump and cancel it. It doesn't sound that bad but I've bumped into more enemies than regularly. It also doesn't help that I like to jump in between my slides.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

KarrotMan

@Waveboy You should have kept your XL model for the VC games The OG looks slick sure, but it has one of the worst button feels of the Nintendo handheld line right after the Mushy DS Lite buttons. Anyway, all the Gameboy Mega Man games have the floaty jump physics whether you like it or not. You'll just have to work with that irk just to appreciate the last two games.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

Sorry, this topic has been locked.