Forums

Topic: NintendoLife Artists Thread

Posts 2,481 to 2,500 of 2,550

Jhena

@Zuljaras
I love your island painting. It is great, even without a giant egg on the vulcano.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Anti-Matter

I will not change my avatar Axel as Ninja Ice Hockey Boxer yet as it still looks good, but I have another Ninja Boxer picture to show.
Untitled

Anti-Matter

Princess_Lilly

I have a question for the artists here, I looked up several searches and I still can't come up with a solid answer.

What exactly is art tracing? I know that it's following line by line, and using carbon paper is tracing. I suppose the digital counterpart would be putting reference beneath the layer you want to draw on, lowering the opacity and drawing "over" the lines.

But my question is - what if I put the reference to the right of my canvas and then I try to imitate the drawing by looking at the reference, trying to measure the proportions etc? Is it tracing?

I'm asking before I know that using reference pictures is encouraged when learing but tracing is frowned upon and known to not increase your skills. I am nowhere nearly good enough to put up my own pictures anywhere even if I did the thing in the 3rd paragraph so Im not worried about "stealing" art but I want to learn how to draw better. Do you guys have any thoughts on that?

For reference, here is the picture I used as a reference:
Untitled

And here is my result:
Untitled

Princess_Lilly

Anti-Matter

@Princess_Lilly
I personally use traditional way by drawing with pencil, trace with drawing pen Snowman or small Snowman marker then erase the pencil trace.
Just take a look how did I draw my avatar in 7th Anniversary Nintendo Switch previous page.
Untitled

And my avatar currently Axel, drawn with vector drawing with Corel Draw, arranged and edited with Corel Photo Paint.
I must drawing on paper first for the model, then I created the vector shapes by point and click, manipulate the lines and curve shapes, give the lines and shapes with colors and double check by mirror the image.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@Princess_Lilly
Also, you cannot just depend on tracing the art to draw as you need to know how to draw the shapes and curves correctly.
Keep practice drawing on paper with pencil to sharpening your experience in drawing different curves and different shapes.
The most important, practice to draw basic shape first, not directly draw the final touch of the curves.

Anti-Matter

Zuljaras

@Princess_Lilly Tracing is following the lines from another art piece. In traditional media you use a Light Pad like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Stepless-Dimmable-Brightness-Rechargea...
And this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYMYBNF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc...

You put the piece you want to "copy" and on top you put your paper and follow the lines.

What you describe is called drawing from reference and it is another form of learning. Even the most experienced artists are doing it. Yes, drawing from reference means to make some changes unlike with tracing.

However, you can trace a certain part of a drawing and add completely new thing on it. Still a good way to learn!

I have never done tracing BUT it is encouraged for beginner artists in order to build muscle memory to draw the things you like. It is NOT stealing. After a while you will be able to draw what you love on your own.

It is frowned upon only if you present tracing as your own original content. (tracings not drawing from reference)

Edited on by Zuljaras

Sugar-Rushed

Untitled

I love biblically accurate angels (Bayonetta didn't help with that haha) so I drew one! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I enjoyed drawing it! 😃

Edited on by Sugar-Rushed

"CTRL+ALT+DEL!"

Sugar-Rushed

@card-crunch78 Thank you!! I have! Loved the design of Jean Jacket! I think I remember one of the lead designers saying its design was inspired by the angels in Evangelion, which is super cool!

Edited on by Sugar-Rushed

"CTRL+ALT+DEL!"

CaleBoi25

Untitled
My custom TableTurf Battle artwork!

SplatComp

Don't tell the me moon is shining;
show me the glint of light on broken glass.
-Anton Chekhov

Sorry, I can't stop changing my PFP!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

card-crunch78

I’m gonna reboot my kitsune self in April.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Anti-Matter

My paper craft Cactus with cardboard behind for grade 4.
Untitled

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Oh, I displayed my Boxing Tunes 4 wallpaper calendar 2024 in my bedroom, featuring Hiroshi as Samurai Boxer with title Kento Shogun.
Untitled

The colors of each month represent their day 1 position.
Red = Day 1 on Sunday
Orange = Day 1 on Monday
Yellow = Day 1 on Tuesday
Green = Day 1 on Wednesday
Aqua = Day 1 on Thursday
Indigo = Day 1 on Friday
Purple = Day 1 on Saturday

Anti-Matter

Jhena

@Anti-Matter
I like your style. Both cool and cute. Keep up the great work.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic