Forums

Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Posts 14,321 to 14,340 of 14,348

Discostew

Now I'm 4-5 episodes behind......

I'm really slacking, but hey, I'm the master of chaos!

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Aqueous

@Lunapplebloom - FoTW is sleeping for now, TC is a tad swamped. I'll be posting a few fics every now and then to try and keep some new fics in flowing or get some posted. I'll do a few today. You're welcome and I'll do a few triple F as not FoTW on occasion I think. Just got a hint on an episode I didn't watch went I clicked your spoiler section. Should be an interesting episode when I find time.
Animation is neat but I'll stick to the one @Twilight_Crow posted for normal listening a long while back.

@Discostew - I'm behind as well, not sure how far but I want sometime to myself to try and catch up.

Stick on plan I have three fics for this week, two complete, one not. One of humour, one of sadness and one of interesting idea(s). Also I'm going to go into less detail this time as it isn't a feature, sorry.

Let's begin with sad, shall we? Also a NSFW story (language)
Godslayer by Vengeful Spirit
Complete story. Labelled: Dark, comedy and random. Rated: Teen
This is a dark comedy but it hinges more on the sad side with some dark humour and some more light heart-ed stuff but it still lies on the sad side and the author warns people off reading it before it begins if you aren't in a good place, so enter prepared.
Personally I gave it a like but some character's are behaving quite right.

Interesting idea(s) next?
Forever and Again and Again by Titanium Dragon
Complete. Labelled: Romance, Slice of Life.
Short story on reincarnation ideas, and are beings doomed to be repeated or repeat themselves.
I gave it a dislike, its alright but not really great.

Lastly, leaning towards comedic/humour so far
The New Hive by ArtichokeLust
Incomplete, Tagged with; comedy, adventure, human.
Worthy of note, no humans have appeared as of yet. Chrysalis post Canterlot invasion is our protagonist, and is in for a shock and her wish.
I'm withholding judgement for now out of curiosity where the story will go and the author's plans, decent start at least.

And an image for fun
Untitled
My source, likely not the original: http://cheezburger.com/8486805504

Hope I can watch the epiosdes I missed and be caught up later, ttyl.

Edited on by Aqueous

Guest on NFR 57: http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/category/episode-57/

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0600-1156 | Nintendo Network ID: AqueousDoubt | Twitter:

Discostew

So I finally sat down and watched a few newer episode (8-10). Still have at least 3 more (there's either 4-5 total left, but my source for them hasn't re-encoded them).

spoilers

Episode 8, to me, felt it was meant just to bring back Gilda and rekindle her and Dash's friendship. A few funny things in it, but overall, meh
Episode 9 was the best out of these last 3 episodes I watched. But, it was kinda of a "love it, hate it" episode. "Love it" because they brought in numerous old faces in a "their show" episode. "Hate it" because the makers literally used so much of what the fanbase decided them to be. I mean, the river serpent had no public name, but here, they used the fanbase's Steven Magnet from YT's faulty audio analyzer. Sure, there was the Doctor, whom I considered as such was settled in. But various other characters, like DJ-Pon3 and Octavia, Bon-bon and Lyra, etc, seemed all fashioned into what the fanbase finalized them as, as if the episode was one big fan-made compilation. Still, the best out of the 3 I recently watched.
Episode 10 felt more or less like a previous episode (can't remember which), so it wasn't really that captivating. Then again - napkin!

Discostew

Aqueous

Finally sitting down to watch what I've missed. First time, I've had a decent gap of time alone to myself and the cats in a while.

Episode 8:

Seeing Gilda back, could of swore the voice changed, wasn't too expected. I thought the character was forgotten. Lesson was good, friendship is more valuable then gold and the episode was interesting. I like the little Harry Potter, buy all the sweets on the cart thing Pinkie did.

Episode 9:

This is the legendary background character episode? And its every bit the brony community canon to some degree? Made for a fun episode, reminds me of somepony's FanFic posts @Twilight_Crow Actually would be fun to see another one like that and see some of those character's honed in on. Sadly I watched it with shaky quality, still pretty good fun. Oh and random changling ftw

Episode 10:

Spike episode... So nothing surprising, Spike gets responsibility, abuses it, causes trouble, things are fixed. Sorry Spike, I'm still not a fan of your episodes.

Episode 11:

Planning ponies to live 500 years Pinkie Pie?Kind of a silly episode, I guessed the solution early but still interesting to watch. Pinkie Pie moves fast in an afternoon.

Episode 12:

In a world of Magic, Twilight still uses keys?! Sillies aside, I'm shocked they went back to that first episode side note and did something with it. Interesting episode and I'm sure someone wrote a fic, using those 5 and Twilight to beat Nightmare Moon or is writing one,as a one thing goes different. Hopeful those 5 show up in some form again. interesting episode and loving the slice of life this season is using right now.

Episode 13:

Okay... They just went for that old Princess Big Macintosh meme/video/image with a touch of Sailor Moon. Can I say unexpected? Bit interesting that Luna can create monsters of dreams and I think the kill was a bit fast but hey, Luna sleeps peacefully now. Rainbow's Nightmare I have to say was kind of funny, fitting but funny. Also the question if Fluttershy can become a bat pony in the real world is raised,

All caught up now. Took awhile but was fun. I'm hoping I don't have to use dailymotion again, that was slow and long. Though the episodes this season are feeling solid. Kind of a season 1-2 feel, I like it. Too bad it grew quiet here, as this would be a really fun season to discuss.

Edited on by Aqueous

MasterGraveheart

Just a reminder to all the pony fans still here at NintendoLife that the new episodes start THIS SATURDAY. Hopefully everyone's looking forward to it! It looks as though that Rarity will take the reins in the first episode back. Should be good, no? Her episodes are usually winners.

MasterGraveheart

3DS Friend Code: 0903-2738-1632 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterGraveheart | Twitter:

Discostew

I've only gotten as far as ep 13 this season. I know that ep 21 was leaked.

Discostew

Electricmastro

Untitled

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Megas75

Sooo, in Crusaders of the Lost Mark...It finally happened

the CMC got their marks, and Diamond Tiara is probably no longer a meanie

Edited on by Jazzer94

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

Discostew

Excluding the leaked Halloween episode and the episode today, I'm all caught up with this 2nd half of this season that's available. And with that, I thoroughly enjoyed them just like when I first got into the series. Even the CMC episode with all the songs was more enjoyable than I thought it would be when I realized it was going to have a flurry of songs.

edit:

Seriously, I thought 5 seasons was nothing to really think about, then realizing that's 5 years......
5 years of being a fan of this generation. 5 years of my life involving colorful ponies (and one draconequus that really cemented my enjoyment of all this) .

Edited on by Discostew

Discostew

CorporalPegasus

I wanted to visit this thread after so long to thank you guys. I joined NintendoLife more then 4 years ago because of this thread, after finally giving this show a try and really liking it even after brushing it off as a weird inside joke gone out of controll first. When i starting watching at first, i was this dumb 14 year old angsty depressed kid not sure what to do with his life. But joining and participating in the brony community for the past 4 years has allowed me to meet so many amazing people and in the past few years, my quality of life improved significantly. And now i'm the happiest i've ever been. I might not visit this thread much anymore, and the people i interacted most with might have left this thread and show behind them, but the fact they were once here ment so much to me.
Untitled

Edited on by CorporalPegasus

IGOR!

Discostew

I held off on Season 6 for a long time, but downloaded the episodes as they came in. Now I've finished Episode 5 (Gauntlet of Fire), and it's still enjoyable to watch.

It's unfortunate though that we are no longer engrossed in this thread. I enjoyed our role-plays, our discussions of each episode, etc, but times have changed, and each of us has things in our lives that take up our time.

Discostew

Aqueous

A bit of life? I guess its time to post since I'm caught up.
Its been fun around here but it died down with time. I have a feeling it won't quite spark again but its nice to know we'll still be around at times.

Season 5's second half was pretty enjoyable, took a lot of effort to sit through the first chunk where it was a lot of Rarity episodes but she seemed better written and season 6 seems to be off to a good start but I wonder how many seasons are left.

Season 5

Ep 18 Button Mash cameo

Ep 21 Sailor Moon, ranma pony cut out, two I don’t recognize, one I think I should. Anypony else catch this?

25-26 So I didn’t expect The Flim Flam Brothers to destroy the world but otherwise once we got the first one, it was just a question of which past villain next. So I’m guessing there will be fan fiction to fill the gaps and get to these points. I’m guessing Twilight gets taken out in those other times at some point or just never plays a roll. Too bad that desolate landscape one at the end never showed who caused it. Also where was the world of Alicorn Amulet Trixie? I thought we might see it quickly after The Film Flam brothers world. Unless it was suppose to be the barren waste at the end.

Season 6

Ep 1 So the villain is whoever thought it was a good idea to build an empire or at least city, in the middle of a frozen landscape that requires a powerful magical relic or else everypony gets to be frozen to death? Seems like a wise building plan. So we went from Twilight learning about friendship seasons 1-2. To season 3 being all of them and taken farther in season 4 and 5. 6 Is Twilight passing lessons on it seems then?

Ep 3 So the Twilight Sparkle gold rod and Twilight’s stuffed animal are both in manehatten?

Ep 4 Anyone else catch Button Mash or a pony that looked like them watching the dancers?And we seem to see him again later in the episode. So is it them referencing fan material at this point or was it a fan taking that background pony and doing something with them?

Ep 5 This is the one I was looking for. So now I know why FimFiction is filling up with pictures of a certain dragon. Let’s see how much they use the new character. I’m guessing not for a while.

Ep 6 was one I found hard to watch, loved the punch line.

CorporalPegasus

I think season 5 is really good. Season 3 was pretty awful and too short and really don't remember much about season 4 anymore but overall season 5 was excellent, even if the fanservice goes a little too far sometimes.

IGOR!

Megas75

Season 3 gets too much hate imo, even if it was short it still gave us Sleepless In Ponyville, Wonderbolts Academy and the underrated Apple Family Reunion, all of which I considered some of the best episodes in the series. S5 was pretty good though

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

CorporalPegasus

@Megas75 Yeah, it's not too bad, this show is actually pretty consistent in it's quality but i get why people don't like S3 and i kinda agree.

IGOR!

Discostew

TomJ wrote:

Okay, so I watched the first two episodes and I gotta say, I'm a 22 year old guy and....I'm intrigued by this show. I kinda get the appeal with the characters and all, and I think anyone can get into it (not saying I'm a fan mind you). Twilight Sparkle reminds me of me in the sense that she used to put her duties before making friends, I don't know.

While it may be filled with colorful ponies, it pulls away from the usual stereotype one would expect from such a show, imo. It's one where you can't just look at the surface. Sure, it can still get a little girly at times, but the fact that it's just at times and not all the time shows that it was meant to lean in another direction. The end of Season 4 shows just how badass it can get (don't skip to it, imo).

I know the whole surface approach a bit too well. I completely rejected the show until one day I was surfing YT (you know, getting caught in the suggested video cycle), and one particular MLP:FiM clip showed up. So, I figured.....what the heck....

My initial thoughts: "Well, the animation is a bit iffy*, still seems girly, but this was rather unexpected."

*iffy for Flash and that particular scene, but certainly better than other Flash-like animations at the time. I was really quite opposed to Flash animation back then because it was all the rage with cartoons, moving away from hand-drawn, and looked/animated poorly.

So, I ended up watching the follow up clip, which was the continuation of that episode, with Rarity being called a mule and doing a pose that has set the internet on fire to call her a marshmallow. At that point, my interest in the show took hold, and for quite some time, I was hooked, literally. This thread is proof of that if you start randomly checking some of its pages. Other things I did was simple artwork, got some plushes, and even tried some voice overs of a particular character. I even went to a local convention for the show with my brother, his family, and my cousins, and I never go to conventions. While the hype has died down from what it used to be and I'm not so hooked, I still enjoy watching the show as new episodes come out, though I'm usually a few episodes behind.

All I can say is, keep an open mind. Just for kicks, my best pony is Applejack, but my favorite character is Discord (voiced by John de Lancie, who played as Q in Star Trek, and who I tried to do voice overs for).

Edited on by Discostew

Discostew

Shinion

@TomJ Don't let your gender or age come into your decision making when deciding if this (or any show really) is worth your time. If you examined the lifestyles of so-called brony haters I'd be very surprised if they're actually God's gift and live perfect lives and so have the right to look down on others. The fact that they do do so makes them worse than whatever image they have of the people they're attacking, there are much more conductive ways to spend their time like I don't know watching an entertaining show or two?

If you like it watch more of it. That's what I did and any 'criticism' I get for doing that from certain people is just laughable for me. I can vouch for this shows' quality and originality.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

CorporalPegasus

@TomJ The show's characters are written to be very relatable to pretty much anyone, so that's not too weird.

IGOR!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.