Forums

Topic: 2012: Year of the RPG

Posts 41 to 50 of 50

Bankai

This year actually has more than one good RPG, so I'd say it wins out over those ones. I mean really: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Tales of Graces f, Ni No Kuni, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and even Growlanser 4, with the likeliness of Persona 2: Eterna Punishment hitting at the end of the year. At the very least, it's the year of the RPGs in America.

Edit: I suppose I should also throw Mass Effect 3 in for argument's sake. Then there's games I'm not too sure about like Kingdom of Alamur: The Reckoning, Heroes of Ruin, Torchlight 2, and Diablo III.

Quality > Quanity. Even if Nier was the only good RPG released in whatever year it was released, and it wasn't I can guarantee that, it alone is better than any other RPG this generation.

And I'm pretty sure Dark Souls wasn't the only RPG released last year! I seem to remember something called "Skyrim" coming out? Oh, and The Witcher 2 isn't so bad, I hear! Then there's Atelier Totori, Bastion, Radian Historia, Pokemon Black/ White...

Also I played Xenoblade and Ni No Kuni in 2011. Totally doesn't count.

Edited on by Bankai

CanisWolfred

What about Quality + Quantity? So far those games alone are better than most of the games released this gen, and they're all coming all at once.

Nukerprime64 wrote:

Thank you for that bout of intellectual input @blackdragon, I appreciate it . That being said, I never said that I hate all RPGs with magic I just stated why I don't like the concept of it. I also never said that it had to be ultra realistic either, pseudo-science, silly science or even no logic at all will do just fine, that's my kind of fiction. It's like someone who doesn't like the hunting of animals in real life, they probably aren't going to do it in a game even if it is 'fantasy'. Monsters, evil kings, ancient times and fantastic worlds are all fine by me as long as it's not magic heavy and I don't have to point a silly little wand at people in order to get what I want. Final statement: yes, I hate magic, real or fake.

Why is it that every time I state my opinion It almost always starts an argument?

Usually it has to do with your wording/tone, though not in this case. On the subject, though, I will say that I'd understand your dislike of magic if you simply disliked the fact that magic is usually unexplained. Otherwise, I just don't really see what the issue is. Not that it's really much of an issue, though.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

So while were on the subject of rpgs I have a question. Is there a reason why nearly every genre had adopted DD games as a viable release platform expect JRPG makers. It baffles me that square hasn't made a classic ff style game and put it on xbla/psn.

Because JRPGs are the FPSers of the Japanese games industry. It's far easier to drum up hype around a game release when it's a physical product and you can do midnight launches, special editions, pre order bonuses and toy/ game tie-ins.

No high-profile FPSer launches on XBLA/ PSN until about six months after the retail release in the west for the same reason.

At least, that's my guess.

Bankai

What about Quality + Quantity? So far those games alone are better than most of the games released this gen, and they're all coming all at once.

Agree to disagree. With the exception of Ni No Kuni, and possibly FFXIII-2 and Tales of Graces f, none of the games you listed hold a candle to Dark Souls, Skyrim, The Witcher 2.

CanisWolfred

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

Agree to disagree. With the exception of Ni No Kuni, and possibly FFXIII-2 and Tales of Graces f, none of the games you listed hold a candle to Dark Souls, Skyrim, The Witcher 2.

I never said they did. I'm saying they burn brighter than the 20 or so lesser games released over the past 6 years.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

Diablo 3 is my RPG of the year if PSO2 doesn't hit NA this year.

I won't be surprised if it recieves PC GOTY either.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

retired_account

I'm still waiting for a legit JRPG on the 3DS. FF4CC would be a dream come true.

retired_account

shingi_70

pixelman wrote:

I'm still waiting for a legit JRPG on the 3DS. FF4CC would be a dream come true.

Squeenix got yo back.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

RR529

Earlier today, the Namco/SEGA/Capcom crossover was revieled as a SRPG, and we just got a new trailer for the Dragon Quest Monsters remake on 3DS, so (if you're in Japan) it looks like 3DS owning RPG lovers have two more titles to look forward to. Hopefully at least one of them makes it westward by the end of the year (unlikely though). Also, I'm hoping that Beyond the Labyrinth and Bravely Default are given western release announcements at E3.

@pixelman, Tales of the Abyss is awesome on 3DS! I highly recommend it!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.