Forums

Topic: So, You Can Now Ignore Users

Posts 121 to 140 of 473

Joeynator3000

Not to mention we do have a contact form, which is probably better than reporting. (because sometimes it does feel like I'm the only one who uses that dashboard thingy)

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Joeynator3000

Ant is the main one that makes changes on this site I think. Other mods and myself can't do much....especially me. >_>
hint hint ant

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

antdickens

@subpopz the ignore user feature will now ignore any comments that other people post that mention people that are on your ignore list.

Hopefully you can ignore someone properly now and everyone can get on with things

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Octane

@antdickens Do our comments also get blocked by half the userbase on NLife when we mention certain users?

Not sure I like this feature, this will make the discussions and comment sections pretty awkward with half the people not being able to see other comments...

Octane

ogo79

oh fantastic i can still see @TheLZdragon

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Tsurii I've long had a suspicion about 2 members on this site. But I won't go into it as I can't prove it. But I will say for someone who claims to have me on their ignore list, isn't it a very strange coincidence that their post begins with the exact same 6 mods names in the exact same order that I listed above? This person has one goal and won't be happy until they achieve it.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Undead_terror

Untitled

I HAVE BEEN ALERTED! and first mention no less ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
But ya, not much I can do either besides you all to get along or you get a slap on the wrist and say no cookies for tonight, but ya I can see the ignore thing being a bit weird....speaking of ignore...

@Joeynator3000 JOEY SOME PIE NOTICE MII! or don't, getting my bones in a twist works just as swell x3

Untitled

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

antdickens

@Octane @Tsurii I hear what you are saying, but I think it's highly unlikely that you will be mentioned alongside someone you are ignoring, as you wouldn't be part of the same conversation. It's also affecting around 0.001% of users on the site, so I think all this "what if" talk is redundant.

The feature has been added - with good reason - in the best possible scenario that we can think of at this time. If things don't work as people expect, then please let me know and we'll see if changes can be made to improve it.

I think it's probably as good as it can be, however.

@antdickens

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Maxz

There's definitely some reasoning to it. I mean, the reason you ignore a user is so that you don't have to keep seeing their repeatedly objectionable (if not actually offensive) comments. But if every other comment section still looks like:

User1: "@ExampleUser I dunno man, I think that's a pretty uninformed statement to make."
User2: "@ExampleUser lolwut. That doesn't even make any sense."
User3: "This is interesting! Really looking forward to hearing more!
User4: "@ExampleUser We still barely know anything about the game. How about reserving judgement until we see more?"
User5: "@ExampleUser Dude, that's ridiculous"

Err... then @ExampleUser still have a pretty profound effect on the direction of the comment section even if you can't see them. What you see instead is a big black hole that everyone else is contorted around. Having twin options for "ignore user" or "ignore user and all mentions" might not be a bad idea though, incase you don't want ignore other users inadvertently.

For example, if there was a tournament and the organiser tagged a lot of players in a post (including the now-infamous @ExampleUser), then anyone who had ignored @ExampleUser would be unable to see the contents of the post. Sooo... it's tricky, but options are probably a good thing.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

antdickens

@Maxz yeah, I may add the option to choose between ignore and full ignore, it shouldn't be that bad to implement. However, I'm happy to see how things go as even the scenario you suggest is unlikely considering the number of people that are using the feature. Time will tell, we can always make changes if it's not doing it's job

@antdickens

Maxz

@antdickens Groovy beans. I'm not overly invested either way, but I hope things work out so no one has any major issues. I do think the option of an Ignore button itself has generally been a good thing for the site, as comment sections very easily got bent towards a single user posting something objectionable, and almost every other user proceeding to tell them so. It meant the easiest way to get attention was to write something stupid (or at least very one-dimensional/reactionary), and comment sections often devolved into pretty depressing slug-fests as a result. From what I can tell, there's been less of that since the Ignore button came in, and the comment sections generally seem more peaceful and level headed.

Conversely, the Nintendo Life YouTube channel has been flooded with moronic comments and commentators since Alex helped turn it into a pretty mainstream Nintendo news channel, but I doubt there's much you can do about that.

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Ryu_Niiyama

@antdickens Is the ignore feature down? I got a notification from a user on my list.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Maxz

@antdickens Okay, I've found a weirdly thing!

So, if someone replies to you and someone you've ignored in the same post, you'll get a notification about being tagged, but be unable to read the it because the inclusion of the @IgnoredUser has removed it.

This is a situation in which I think the benefits of being able to read a message directed at you outweigh those of not reading a message directed at someone you've ignored.

Would it be possible to 'override' the new extended ignore function in this case?

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Undead_terror @TheLZdragon @theblackdragon @antdickens @gcunit @Meowpheel That above comment isn't mine.

The person above has completely copied my username and avatar. Well almost, instead of capital "I"'s they've used lower case "L"'s to try and fool people. This isn't the first time someone has done this. It's probably the same person as before, I can't imagine there's many crazy obsessed people out there. They're trying to pass themselves off as me and people don't notice the difference. They only joined today. Click on their username and you'll see what I mean.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Eel

I used my brand new purge-blaster powers to delete all traces of their existence! :3

What thread was that?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic