New first-party Switch games routinely deliver strong debut sales in recent times, thanks to the popularity of the system and the never-ending demand for fresh first-party efforts; Mario Golf: Super Rush is no different, claiming top spot in its Japanese chart debut having also done the same in the UK.
In its first week - according to Famitsu's figures - it sold 80,430 retail copies, making it the comfortable winner despite some competition from other new releases. A few key releases across PS4 and PS5 break up the Switch monopoly of the top 10, with the Nintendo hybrid's version of Samurai Warriors 5 being outperformed by the PS4 equivalent.
Here are the top ten (first numbers are this week's estimated sales, followed by total sales):
- [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush (Nintendo, 06/25/21) – 80,430 (New)
- [PS4] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo, 06/24/21) – 55,675 (New)
- [NSW] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo, 06/24/21) – 38,691 (New)
- [NSW] Game Builder Garage (Nintendo, 06/11/21) – 23,280 (126,008)
- [PS4] Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco, 06/24/21) – 20,160 (New)
- [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 13,756 (2,654,669)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 11,888 (2,019,432)
- [PS4] The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails (Falcom, 06/24/21) – 11,230 (New)
- [PS5] Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco, 06/24/21) – 11,008 (New)
- [NSW] The Caligula Effect 2 (FuRyu, 06/24/21) – 10,243 (New)
Moving on to hardware, the Switch is still comfortably leading the way; this is especially the case as PS5 and Xbox Series hardware continue to face extensive stock issues, which will be harming Sony's system in particular. We're not sure why the Switch Lite is listed ahead of PS5 despite shifting fewer units, but that is the way it's been posted by Famitsu.
- Switch – 58,864 (16,424,721)
- Switch Lite – 14,087 (3,917,110)
- PlayStation 5 – 20,031 (718,451)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,407 (140,132)
- Xbox Series X – 2,672 (41,998)
- PlayStation 4 – 2,548 (7,795,350)
- Xbox Series S – 1,441 (14,626)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 519 (1,166,619)
Any surprises this week? Let us know in the comments.