Last time when we checked on the Chucklefish Switch eShop title WarGroove, the game had no release date. Apparently, the developer was aiming for a 2018 launch all along and that's now been pushed back to Q1 2019.
Here's exactly what was said in a recent progress report on the developer blog:
Initially we were aiming for a late 2018 release, but we have recently decided to move the launch window to Q1 2019 to allow us to provide players with a really robust package when the big day comes!
This was followed up with a rundown of all the content in the game so far, which is notably subject to change:
- Skirmish Mode: 30+ two-player PVP maps, 10+ three player PVP maps & 6+ four player PVP maps. Possibly a number of ‘scenario’ maps – not confirmed yet. This works both online and offline, can be played vs CPU in any configuration. Allows you to configure weather, turn timer, fog of war, income, map biome, Commanders and teams. Online matches can be synchronous or asynchronous and can have many matches running at once.
- Arcade Mode: Each Commander has its own arcade in which you fight 5 opponents in succession, on randomly chosen PVP maps. Each character talks to their opponent at the start of each fight and ends with a full cutscene when their arcade mode is completed – similar to fighting games! A great way to learn about all of the characters.
- Campaign Mode: 33+ Missions of varying length where you play as many different Commanders. Each mission starts and ends with a cutscene, some with cutscenes in the middle. Totals between 1 hour to 1hr30 of cutscene content!
- Puzzle Mode: 25+ extremely challenging puzzles where you have to defeat the enemy in a single turn.
- Map Creation: Easy to use basic tools/map painting. Advanced scripting tools for frankly ridiculous possibilities. Cutscene creation in-game, with really detailed tools that allow you to dress up your maps or campaign with a story. Includes a decoration System with fine control over the visuals of the map.
- Campaign Creation: Choose 1 of 3 world maps. Simple placing of missions on the map and assigning them icons/date/location/descriptions. Map flags, allowing for branching paths/unlockable missions/secrets.
- Content Sharing: A powerful content sharing centre for maps and campaigns. Ability to rate maps – Like/Dislike, with filters and search. Various different discoverability methods.
- Gallery: Unlock artwork from the games development, amongst other fun things we won’t spoil.
- Codex: Details the history of the world with lore and bio on all Commanders. Strategy info, rules and nice artwork of grooves. Damage charts for each unit with lots of unlockables.
- Jukebox: Unlock music tracks. Some cute stuff that we won’t spoil.
- Secret Content: ??????? The game probably has more secrets than you’d imagine – old school game style!
- Options: Language – we’re hoping to localise, but don’t know if it will be in for launch or not yet. Combat Animations – always/never/my turn only/commanders only. Show Grid – on/off. Auto end turn – when no units are unspent on/off. Zoom level – near/far. Standard resolution options. Separate volume controls for master/music/sound FX/Voices. Colour blind mode – red-green/blue-yellow. Rumble on your turn when using a gamepad.
If you haven't heard about WarGroove before, it's been compared to Intelligent Systems' Advance Wars and Fire Emblem series. The game was first revealed for the Nintendo Switch in March 2017 and will now release in the same quarter as another long-awaited indie title known as Shakedown Hawaii.
Have you been eagerly anticipating the release of WarGroove? How do you feel about it being pushed back to Q1 2019? Tell us in the comments.