Chucklefish has announced that the highly anticipated 2D fighter Pocket Rumble is finally arriving on Nintendo Switch next month, now scheduled to release on 5th July.
Pocket Rumble is a streamlined, beginner-friendly 2D fighting game inspired by SNK’s classic fighters on the Neo Geo Pocket Color. It aims to retain all the gameplay elements that make traditional fighters great, while reducing the level of execution and memorisation necessary to the absolute minimum.
The game was first announced way back in February of last year - a month before the Switch released. Originally, Pocket Rumble was going to be available during the console's launch window and was generating some keen interest amongst fans, but the delay has seen it slip out of people's thoughts thanks to the steady onslaught of indie delights on the system since then. Hopefully it can now finally live the life it was destined to.
Here are some of the game's features:
- Simple 2-button controls with universal and easy special move inputs, involving no complex joystick motions
- Short combos with straightforward timing and cancel system
- Diverse cast of characters, each with their own unique meter and mechanics
- On-screen frame data bar and visual indicators for properties such as invulnerability to introduce players to fighting game basics
- Near-flawless online multiplayer with GGPO netcode
- HD rumble support, specific to the Nintendo Switch version
Have you been patiently waiting to hear more about this title? Will you be giving it a go when it launches on Switch next month? Let us know with a comment.