What does 'simulate a Witcher 2 save' mean in The Witcher 3? With The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition arriving on Switch, no doubt many new players will be wondering what this small detail at the start of the game means. In this guide, we'll break the whole thing down, and hopefully help you decide whether you should or shouldn't simulate a Witcher 2 save in The Witcher 3.
Simulate Witcher 2 save in The Witcher 3 - what does it do?
When you choose to start a new game in The Witcher 3, you'll be met with multiple screens, one after another. The first will ask if you want to start the game fresh, or immediately jump into one of its two expansions. Selecting "Fresh Start" will bring up the 'Simulate Witcher 2' screen later.
The second screen asks you to choose your difficulty level, while the third screen determines whether tutorial messages are enabled or disabled.
Finally, the fourth screen asks if you would like to "Simulate Witcher 2 Save". You have two simple options: Yes or No.
Simulating a Witcher 2 save means that you get to decide how several key events played out in The Witcher 2. The consequences of these events can be seen in The Witcher 3. However, you don't get to have your say on these events just yet.
Selecting "Yes" enables additional dialogue choices near the beginning of The Witcher 3. Once you're past the opening tutorial and you've slain the griffin in White Orchard, Geralt will be taken to the palace of the Nilfgaardian Emperor. There, he'll be questioned by General Voorhis.
Voorhis asks Geralt about his past. To be more specific, he asks Geralt about the events that happened in The Witcher 2. Choosing to simulate a Witcher 2 save lets you answer with dialogue options, effectively allowing you to shape Geralt's backstory to an extent.
Selecting "No" when asked if you want to simulate a Witcher 2 save disables these dialogue options, and the game presents you with a set of premade outcomes. These premade outcomes are not necessarily canon — they're just there to get you into The Witcher 3 with less fuss.
Should you simulate Witcher 2 save in The Witcher 3?
So should you simulate a Witcher 2 save in The Witcher 3? The short answer, in our opinion, is yes. Doing so immediately gives you some juicy dialogue options early in the game, and you can shape Geralt's recent past to your liking. This is a role-playing game, after all.
Plus, certain dialogue options in this scene effect some of the content that you'll come across in The Witcher 3. We won't spoil anything here, but if you're eager to find out what kind of impact these choices have, feel free to keep reading.
Simulate Witcher 2 Save - what does each dialogue choice do?
The following section contains very minor spoilers for The Witcher 3.
If you do decide to simulate a Witcher 2 save, then you're probably wondering what each dialogue choice with General Voorhis actually does. We've broken down the basics below.
- Kill or spare Aryan: This decision impacts a main quest later in the game. It does not effect the outcome of the quest, but characters react differently to Geralt.
- Side with Roche or Iorveth: This decision makes a slight difference to how certain characters react to Geralt later in the game. It has no lasting positive or negative impact.
- Save Triss or Anais (if you sided with Roche): This decision makes a slight difference to how certain characters react to Geralt later in the game. It has no lasting positive or negative impact.
- Save Triss or lift Saskia's spell: This decision makes a slight difference to how certain characters react to Geralt later in the game. It has no lasting positive or negative impact.
- Save Síle de Tansarville or leave her to die: This decision makes a difference to how certain characters react to Geralt later in the game. It has no lasting positive or negative impact.
- Kill or spare Letho: This decision opens up an optional quest later in the game. You must spare Letho for this quest to occur.
Will you be simulating a Witcher 2 save in The Witcher 3? Make some tough choices in the comments section below.
More The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Guides
- Best Character Builds For Geralt In The Witcher 3 On Nintendo Switch
- The Witcher 3 On Nintendo Switch - 10 Gameplay Settings To Check Out Before Starting
The above guide is adapted from an existing guide on Push Square. You should check out that site's exhaustive library of Witcher 3 guides if you want even more info on this epic game: