Forums

Topic: I want a WiiU for those 1080p games, but 720p TV says MEH

Posts 41 to 60 of 69

ZyroXZ2

About the OP, I would hold out until you can get something larger in 1080p. The Wii U upscales games to 1080p, so technically you'll get a 1080p signal out of it. Since most of their games are native 720p, the upscale only serves to make it marginally clearer. However, Nintendo's excellent mastery of graphics hides this flaw. Wind Waker HD is 1080p, SM3DW is 720p. Both played on a large 1080p TV, you can see that Wind Waker HD is clearer, but ONLY when you play them one right after the other. Basically, for some odd reason, Nintendo makes 720p look insanely good, and as a PC gamer, I'm all about the highest possible resolutions at 60 fps or above, yet SM3DW looks absolutely phenomenal.

In other words, you'll live at 720p, and if you want to go 1080p, go with a much bigger TV

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

Nintendo Network ID: ZyroXZ2 | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

...So, yeah how do you tell which resolutions the games are in? Just curious. >.>

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

skywake

Lan wrote:

Now you're just spreading blatant lies. This is in no way true at all. http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

What are you talking about? I can see the difference pretty clearly. Even when I turn off motion blur entirely and slow the movement right down it's still visible. I can see that 60fps is smoother than 24fps, 30fps and 48fps. I mean the gap between 48fps and 60fps is fairly small when the ball is moving very slowly but it's still there.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Jazzer94

Mizore wrote:

...So, yeah how do you tell which resolutions the games are in? Just curious. >.>

With your eyes if they're good enough that is.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

MikeLove

Buy a 1080p TV!

If you ever want to watch a bluray or hook up a PC or another console to it in the future, you are going to be kicking yourself for buying a 720p tv!!

MikeLove

ogo79

treat yourself, dont beat yourself.
go spend some money

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

kyuubikid213

I've got a 19" 1080p Seiki. My Wii U games look pretty good on that. Set only cost me a little over 100 USD.

As far as resolutions go, I'm no expert on how far away and the best resolution for size or any of that, but my set works fine for me and it can go up to 1080p, so I'm set for this generation and, likely, the next as I don't see 4K ruling the market by then.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

skywake

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Buy a 1080p TV!

If you ever want to watch a bluray or hook up a PC or another console to it in the future, you are going to be kicking yourself for buying a 720p tv!!

+1

The people talking about 720p for console gaming are probably right for maybe 90% of console gaming right now. All things being equal a 1080p screen will produce a marginally inferior image than a 720p one when displaying 720p content. In theory at least. However people do more than gaming on their screens and odds are a new TV will be floating around for quite a while. Over time there's going to be more content at full 1080p not less.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

JetForceSetGrind

SCAR392 wrote:

I think ZombiU is 1080p. Supposedly, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, and X(?) will be 1080p. CoD running at sub-HD just proves Acttivision didn't know how to get better results from the Wii U, though. The same could be said about alot of games, but it isn't a big deal, either way.

In the situation the OP is in, I would either get a Wii U or invest in a good audio system, instead of another HDTV.

ZombiU is 720p, Mario Kart is definitely 720p, Bayonnetta 2 is probably 720p, COD is sub-HD on PS360 too.

JetForceSetGrind

GuSolarFlare

WhereEaglesDare wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I think ZombiU is 1080p. Supposedly, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, and X(?) will be 1080p. CoD running at sub-HD just proves Acttivision didn't know how to get better results from the Wii U, though. The same could be said about alot of games, but it isn't a big deal, either way.

In the situation the OP is in, I would either get a Wii U or invest in a good audio system, instead of another HDTV.

ZombiU is 720p, Mario Kart is definitely 720p, Bayonnetta 2 is probably 720p, COD is sub-HD on PS360 too.

Mario Kart wasn't released yet same goes for Bayonetta 2....

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

SCRAPPER392

@WhereEaglesDare
I know the game runs in sub-HD, because Activision straight up ported the game without any changes.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

CheapCheepBeach

GuSilverFlame wrote:

WhereEaglesDare wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Mario Kart wasn't released yet same goes for Bayonetta 2....

Mario Kart screens are NATIVE 720p with no AA

CheapCheepBeach

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter:

CheapCheepBeach

Hy8ogen wrote:

Lan wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

720p, 1080p, 4k, blah. They don't really matter, in the end of the day it really depends on how big your TV is and the distance you will be away from it. If you're going to get 50" TV, I would highly suggest 1080p because 720p would be stretching it a little. Here's a little graph to help you make your decision

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/12/resolut...

And I suppose you're gonna tell us that the human eye can't see over 30 frames per second next.

Yup. However, although our eyes can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, we can definitely "feel" it. I can't really put them in words but 60FPS definitely feels a TINY bit smoother compared to 30.

60fps and 30fps is a night and day difference, Play Mario Kart by yourself, then play it with 3 friends to see what I am talking about

CheapCheepBeach

CheapCheepBeach

Jazzer94 wrote:

Dreamsleep wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Most games on Wii U are 720p native

I thought I had read that most were 1080p, but I admit I do not know. Thank you for the education!

To my knowledge Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Rayman Legends and maybe some e-shop releases.
Edit: these as well supposedly Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition and Assasins Creed 3
Edit 2: Oh MK8 and SSB4 are supposed to be full 1080p 60fps.

Out of the games you listed on the edit, only SSB4 is 1080p. Batman, AC3 and MK8 are definitely 1280*720.

For Wii U, stick with a 720p TV for perfect 1:1 pixel mapping.

CheapCheepBeach

Yoshi

@memoryman3 Mario Kart 8 is 1080p 60 FPS.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

SCRAPPER392

@memoryman3
Even with a 1080p HDTV, the Wii U upscales 720p to 1080p. Super Mario 3D World and DK: Tropical Freeze show this. I think most, if not all the games that are 720p, are being upscaled.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Hy8ogen

memoryman3 wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Lan wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

720p, 1080p, 4k, blah. They don't really matter, in the end of the day it really depends on how big your TV is and the distance you will be away from it. If you're going to get 50" TV, I would highly suggest 1080p because 720p would be stretching it a little. Here's a little graph to help you make your decision

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/12/resolut...

And I suppose you're gonna tell us that the human eye can't see over 30 frames per second next.

Yup. However, although our eyes can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, we can definitely "feel" it. I can't really put them in words but 60FPS definitely feels a TINY bit smoother compared to 30.

60fps and 30fps is a night and day difference, Play Mario Kart by yourself, then play it with 3 friends to see what I am talking about

Dude that was a joke I wrote a few months back, relax! I don't have a PhD in neuro science, but people who can't see the difference between 30fps and 60fps needs to see the eye doctor.

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.