Forums

Topic: Anyone else a little....deflated?

Posts 341 to 360 of 372

kyuubikid213

Highwinter wrote:

My biggest problem with the Wii U is still the lack of games. I can see potential for the technology, but if all we have are the same few first party Nintendo titles and some ports of games that have been out for other systems for years, what's the point? Why would anyone rush out to buy a Wii U for Arkham City?

The even bigger problem is the Xbox "720" and PS4, which are strongly rumoured to be out next year and will be significantly more powerful, once again leaving Nintendo with no third party support. They can continue to state that graphics aren't important, which is somewhat true, but when it limits how advanced games can be and even what games can be released for the system, it's a serious problem.

Nintendo seem to have a knack for making products very successful, after everyone else has assumed they will fail, but I'm having a hard time seeing this one ending well.

Nintendo Land
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Just Dance 4
Lego City Undercover
ZombiU
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
TANK! TANK! TANK!
Project P-100
Game & Wario
Wii Fit U
SiNG
Rayman Legends

This is not a lack of games in my opinion. I've even removed the ports and "the few same" Nintendo titles.

And as for the PS4 and 720 being "significantly more powerful," I don't think they will be so powerful that Wii U gets left out. If Microsoft and Sony make their next systems dramatically more powerful than the PS3 and 360, production costs will be through the roof and the systems will end up being crazy expensive (PS3 launch anyone?), thus giving Nintendo the opening they need (should they price it fairly) to pull another Wii.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

TysonOfTime

skywake wrote:

TysonQ7 wrote:

The problem is, the Casual market, unlike the 'core' market, has no common mindset. 'Playing of Casual' like people say Nintendo did with the Wii won't always support you. It's not a safety net. Is there honestly a way to tell what the casual market will or will not eat up? Can we, as 'core' gamers, make that call? What do you guys think?

[/div]

It's a pretty easy test really. Find a "casual gamer", show them trailers and ask them what they think. Using that test I would say that NintendoLand does not fit the bill and out of all the games shown New SMB U is probably the closest thing the Wii U has to Wii Sports' mass appeal.

But, unlike where you ask the thoughts of A 'core' gamer, it won't necessarily be a common thought.
From what Iv'e seen, the casual market is unpredictable, unless of course you sit each individual down.

But, I could be drastically wrong.

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

komicturtle

Highwinter wrote:

My biggest problem with the Wii U is still the lack of games. I can see potential for the technology, but if all we have are the same few first party Nintendo titles and some ports of games that have been out for other systems for years, what's the point? Why would anyone rush out to buy a Wii U for Arkham City?

The even bigger problem is the Xbox "720" and PS4, which are strongly rumoured to be out next year and will be significantly more powerful, once again leaving Nintendo with no third party support. They can continue to state that graphics aren't important, which is somewhat true, but when it limits how advanced games can be and even what games can be released for the system, it's a serious problem.

Nintendo seem to have a knack for making products very successful, after everyone else has assumed they will fail, but I'm having a hard time seeing this one ending well.

Problem is, judging how things are falling into place, I highly doubt the power significance between WiiU and the other two next gen consoles will be dramatic like Wii vs PS3/360. Let's put this in perspective- If Sony decides to go being the most powerful console of next gen like they did for PS3, do you think developers would want to ditch WiiU's affordable dev kits as well as the costs to make games on WiiU compared to PS4? Especially when the gap is minuscule? Doubt it. And judging And honestly, the difference is not what everyone is thinking. Not to mention, Microsoft and Sony don't have the dinero to be spending so much on having SUPER-EXTRA-MODERN-MODERN-FUTURE technology like everyone is believing.

Costs of game development is rising. And because WiiU is that bridge between current and next gen, it may turn out to be the system 3rd parties would rather develop for if the costs to make games between WiiU vs 720/PS4 are huge.

komicturtle

shingi_70

Thats really wishful thinking when most big third parties already have 720/PS3 kits are the ones wanting more power.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

komicturtle

Just like its wishful thinking about the other two being leaps above WiiU.

komicturtle

skywake

TysonQ7 wrote:

But, unlike where you ask the thoughts of A 'core' gamer, it won't necessarily be a common thought.
From what Iv'e seen, the casual market is unpredictable, unless of course you sit each individual down.

But, I could be drastically wrong.

You're drastically wrong and I have no idea what you're actually saying here. What I'm saying is that it's really, really easy to gauge someone's thoughts on an idea by simply showing it to them. As for being unpredictable, the biggest "casual" success stories have been things like Brain Training, Wii Sports, Guitar Hero, Wii Fit and Just Dance. The level of success for all of them was mind blowing but the appeal was obvious from the moment they were first shown.

If anything it's the core games that are hard to predict.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

AlexSays

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

Costs of game development is rising. And because WiiU is that bridge between current and next gen, it may turn out to be the system 3rd parties would rather develop for if the costs to make games between WiiU vs 720/PS4 are huge.

Cheaper development costs didn't do much for the Wii this gen..

And developing a game for the PS4/720 will always make more sense financially. Not only because the games are more expensive, but because even in this gen, multiplats on the PS3/360 reach just as many people on both consoles combined as they would reach on the Wii.

Basically Nintendo and their lower-tech unusual accessories will never receive tons of 3rd party attention as long as there are two higher tech equivalent consoles.

AlexSays

shingi_70

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

Just like its wishful thinking about the other two being leaps above WiiU.

Well thats common sense but Microsoft could go for a giant  leap if they wanted too. The hardcore gamer and general tech guys will grab a new console at $400 and for everyone else why do you think they are experimenting with the contract model as well as getting it to be a cable box.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/07/99-xbox-360-c...
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405359,00.asp

They could easily go with a uber powerful system and use non traditional methods to cover the costs as well as expanded marketshare making sure they are once again the lead console.

Still don't think Kt will happen however. I'm expecting a xbox/ps2/gamecube type of power levels.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

CanisWolfred

Sony_70 wrote:

Still don't think it will happen however. I'm expecting a xbox/ps2/gamecube type of power levels.

Yeah, same here. We're too far in a recession (by "we" I mean a lot of the countries these companies sell to...) for super powerful systems right now. They need to focus on gimmickry rather than sheer power right now (which is fine by me, I'll wait until the gen after for the super awesome and hopefully more traditional systems).

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

Guess your going into Pc gaming?

WAT!

CanisWolfred

Hell no. PC gaming sucks more than anything, IMO. I tried it years ago, just ended up buying a 360 and never looked back. I'm even tempted to sell my Steam account. I'm just gonna catch up on my backlog (I have 700+ unfinished games, and I'm not done getting everything yet, still got maybe 100-200 more games to get). I'll be damn good until the next gen comes, and I figure if this gen is any indication, there won't be much I'll be missing out on, especially if my predictions of the gimmickry come true.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Henmii

Okay, so Game and Wario seems to be another Wii play (but this time Wario branded) instead of a new Warioware! Instead of 70+ mini-games we get 10, though they will be longer! My excitement for this game has decreased quite a bit!

Henmii

CanisWolfred

Same here, Henmii, but I'll wait and see. If the games are addictive enough to be worthy of the Game & Watch allusion, it might be a good pick up.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

skywake

@ the power of the next gen systems
I can see the first cross platform PS4/720 games being PS4/720/Wii U/PS3/360/PC games rather than "next gen" exclusives. Then as we leave this gen it'll probably go PS4/720/Wii U. Yes, the Wii U will have the worst looking versions but... I couldn't care less personally and I don't think people will care as much as they have in generations past.

Mandoble

It might happen that the first next gen cross platform games are 720/PC/Mobile instead of PS4/720/Wii U/PS3/360/PC
If this leaked info is true, and they chose eight x86 cores with scalable frequencies architecture, be ready not only for a terrific boost in power, but also for a development unification around W8 next year.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/16/3090944/microsoft-xbox-720-...

Mandoble

CanisWolfred

WaveBoy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Hell no. PC gaming sucks more than anything, IMO. I tried it years ago, just ended up buying a 360 and never looked back. I'm even tempted to sell my Steam account. I'm just gonna catch up on my backlog (I have 700+ unfinished games, and I'm not done getting everything yet, still got maybe 100-200 more games to get). I'll be damn good until the next gen comes, and I figure if this gen is any indication, there won't be much I'll be missing out on, especially if my predictions of the gimmickry come true.

you're hilarious Mickey Mac, such an ignorant immature cut to the chase close minded comment that i completely agree with haha. PC gaming does suck. League of Legends was the last PC title my friends forced me to play with them at some annoying little internet cafe and i just couldn't wait to leave...Apperantly there was an oldschool arcade joint up the street, but they opted for this boring tripe. lol I could of been playing Pacman, Street Fighter, DonkeyKong ect ect but instead i was forced to get completely owned by a bunch of Pro-online Elf dweebettes. The game felt so sluggish and unintuitive, not to mention boring. staring in front of a computer monitor with a mouse in keyboard is the LAST thing i want to be doing. Did i mention i seriously hate keyboard and mouse controls for gaming? Ya, probably. I just wanted to break away, grab a drink and just socialize instead of staring at a computer screen like the bug eyed zombies surrounding me. It went on for hours...

I was afraid you'd agree with my main point, though I don't agree with any of the points you brought up. PC gaming sucks because it's on a PC, a system not specifically designed for gaming (and it shows). That means putting in unnecessary effort checking compatibility, replacing drivers, checking minimum system requirements only to find I can't run the greatest thing since sliced bread unless I fork over $1000 on new components, despite the fact that my PC was high-end 3 years ago. Not that it matters, the game's full of bugs anyways, so I gotta wait a year until they make the game playable. And by then it'll have been ported to consoles, where it doesn't look quite as nice but is otherwise the same G-ddamn game for far less money and hassle. Oh, I'm sure the PC fanboys will find a way to say it's a worse game for some arbitrary reason, like it lacks a modding community (yeah, like I trust a bunch of amatuers to do a better job in their free time than the actual developers have been doing on the clock for 4 years), but in the end the lesson still is that I should stick with the console versions whenever possible.

Really, strategy games are the only things PC do better than consoles anyways, and I can't say I ever spend much time with those when not playing with friends, anyways. So really, I haven't got a single bloody reason to play a PC game these days.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mandoble

Strategy, flight sims, RPGs, open world oriented ones any massive MP game and so. Plus all these that simply cannot run on consoles due to lack of power. In four years I had no need to update drivers, update OS or change any hardware (except adding two more HDs) and it is able to run any current game at least at medium settings (which is already way highger than what any console supports for common games). You should not generalize your bad luck with your rig. Lets add the fact that common games are usually way more expensive for the consoles, what you invest on PC hardware is quickly compensated as you buy more and more games.

Mandoble

Bass_X0

G-ddamn

Censoring it like that doesn't make it any less of a curse word.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

skywake

Mandoble wrote:

It might happen that the first next gen cross platform games are 720/PC/Mobile instead of PS4/720/Wii U/PS3/360/PC

just.......... no. You're doing it wrong.

Bass_X0 wrote:

G-ddamn

Censoring it like that doesn't make it any less of a curse word.

You better not watch this then... although you DEFINITELY should....

Aviator

WaveBoy wrote:

@MegaMickey

Whoops, i completely forget to bring up the whole 'having to constantly upgrade' to get the most out of PC gaming or just having to keep up in general to play the latest software. That's the other major problem i have with it. I don't want to get into specifics since i'm a pretty big noob when it comes to PC 'anything' related in general, but as far as having a PC gaming set up goes...I'd personally be happier with a Commodore 64.

You're doing the exact same thing with the Wii U.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.