geek-master

ah yes the year of
mortal kombat II

the first star fox game

the original DOOM

and this sloppy movie
[youtube:wtMZKYnLg5c]

Edited on by geek-master

This is ground control to major Tom, you've really made the grade. And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

HolyMackerel

Man, 1993 was an amazing time for games. SimCity 2000! Secret of Mana! Gabriel Knight! Doom! Myst! Sonic CD! Virtua Fighter! Link's Awakening! Syndicate!

LET'S PARTY LIKE IT'S 1993!!

Bright blue birthday cakes and plastic swords and Transformer toys and lots of balloons.

HolyMackerel

JGMR

Can't believe that it's almost 20 years ago I played Starwing (Competition Edition) for the first time on a holiday in Germany. Still have some stickers from that event. I guess that it's my most beloved videogame of all-time next to Super Metroid, which was released a year later.

With kind regards,

JGMR

misswliu81

1993 was an epic year for gaming like many others have said on here:

it was the launch of virtua fighter- my favourite fighting game series that later spanned 4 more sequels
legend of zelda link's awakening came out for the gameboy
the ongoing rivalry between 2 16 bit giants- the super nintendo verses sega's genesis/megadrive, which was a great machine
mortal kombat 2 got released
and a video game show titled 'games master' on channel 4 in the U.K was on TV

the 90s was a terrific time for gaming.

misswliu81

Surfcaster

I played some games in arcades back in the 90s, but I wasn't that big into them until around 95 or so, and even then I didn't very often. I have always been a console kid, and the SNES and NES were my only systems at the time. 93, for me, was completely dominated by Mega Man X. I actually had an accident and messed up my left hand that year and had to play through X with my left hand turned on the d-pad kind of like you would use your hand to type, and I still beat it. Took a while, though, haha.

Some other games that I played that year were B.O.B., Batman: TAS, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Cool Spot, Mega Man 6 and a TON of Super Bomberman. That dominated sleepovers for quite some time, actually, haha.

I didn't get Star Fox/Starwing that year, so I can't really say it was part of my experience in 93. I think I got it in 95. I'm also not much of a fighter guy, but MKII was of course huge, and I remember a lot of people playing Clayfighter, even though I'm pretty sure it was crap.

Oh, and who could forget NBA Jam. There was a ton of that, as well. Also, I didn't play Myst, but a friend of mine had a PC and I used to watch him go through it for hours.

Currently playing:
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
| Twitter | Five-O-Rama | Join

LordJumpMad

Forever nightmares as a kid but great fun.
[youtube:3oF9NeU8MYc]

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 wrote:

That's the year I was born. Back on topic, it had some pretty good releases like Kirby's Adventure, Shining Force and Star Fox.

Forgot about Shinobi III. That one was fun too.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

EvilRegal

1993, in retrospect, was one of my favorite gaming years (then again that's true of every year of the era of SNES, my favorite console ever). These are games I bought in '93: Super Star Wars, Batman Returns (SNES...IMO THE King of the "Final Fight" style games), WWF Royal Rumble, Street Fighter II Turbo (Hyper Fighting and PLAYABLE bosses!!!), Super Mario All-Stars, and Super Empire Strikes Back. Then, there are ones I rented. Pocky & Rocky, Star Fox, and Secret of Mana (own the latter two, and one day will buy P & R). Incredible year, just from a Super NES standpoint.

Years on each end of it were also great. Several of the games I got in '92 were 1991 releases, because I didn't get the SNES until March '92. Here's some of the ones I best remember from '92 that I know are releases from that year: TLoZ: A Link to the Past, Contra III, Mario Paint, Super NES Super Scope 6, Super Mario Kart (the one that started it all... , and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (I know not everyone likes it, but I for one loved it).

Skip over to 1994 and you have Mega Man X, Super Metroid, Super Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat II, Final Fantasy III/VI (that FF I KNOW others will agree with me on), Super Punch-Out!!, Super Return of the Jedi, WWE Raw, and Donkey Kong Country.

Those are 3 of the best gaming years EVER right there! And that's just coming from a Nintendo fan who took their side in the 16-bit wars. I know you Sega Genesis fans have some winners of your own from those years (yeah, Sega does what Nintendon't, and all that jazz ).

The SNES' 20th anniversary was last year, but I'm commemorating it this year in March, which is my 20th anniversary of getting it. I'll be forsaking all current generation, modern day gaming to replay the two games I got with the SNES: Super Mario World (pack in game, of course) and Drakkhen (IMO very underrated). As a bonus, I'm finally going to play through the sequel to Drakkhen, Dragon View, which I got a few months back on Amazon in excellent condition!

@Wizzrobe
Getting off topic for just a sec. In your signature, if f I may ask, what's the story with the games being over at 22 years of age, 1990-2012? What happened/happens this year to cause the death of a gamer? Other than the apocalypse, of course.

Edited on by EvilRegal

Let's attack aggressively, kupo! :D

3DS Friend Code: 5241-1915-3356 | Nintendo Network ID: EvilRegal

paburrows

So many great games back then during the early 90's, Street Fighter 2, TMNT 1 & 2, X-Men, Simpsons. (I know not all of those were 93, but they WERE all in the arcades that year. Also the Sonics, Mario World, Genesis X-Men and tons of other stuff. These were my High School years (born 1975) and it was a great time to be a gamer. I miss the time when arcades excisited and where there were arcade games in every grocery store, 7-11 and restaurant.

Friend Code: 1762 - 2853 - 4458
Store: http://room23store.blogspot.com/
Art Blog: http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/
My Birthday: November 3, 1975

grenworthshero

I wasn't cool enough to have an SNES back in '93. I was still playing DOS games. Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, and Commander Keen were my Favorites. Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D when my parents weren't around.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

stromboli

@grenworthshero - same here. Played all these. The 90's had other amazing games on DOS. 1995-1996 probably featured the best games of all time.

Not only does the 3DS come with an SD card, but it also happens to come pre-installed with one, additional dimension.

the_shpydar

FluttershyGuy wrote:

@Wizzrobe
Getting off topic for just a sec. In your signature, if f I may ask, what's the story with the games being over at 22 years of age, 1990-2012? What happened/happens this year to cause the death of a gamer? Other than the apocalypse, of course.

FYI (since i don't think he's around anymore) , Wizzrobe mentioned in the "Goodbye" thread a few days ago that he's given up gaming.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Ryno

the_shpydar wrote:

FluttershyGuy wrote:

@Wizzrobe

FYI (since i don't think he's around anymore) , Wizzrobe mentioned in the "Goodbye" thread a few days ago that he's given up gaming.

Yup, since I will miss the little guy, the dude was a total retro fan, here is what he said:

1076. Posted: Tue 24th Jan 2012 07:41 PST
Excuse me for bringing my departure up again, but...there is no turning back now. I am leaving this site, just as I am leaving gaming itself. Change is good, and I welcome it. There are times in which old relationships with people or things must perish when you´re not feeling right about them anymore.

I already have put my Wii 32 games up for sale. Again, thanks for the many laughs, the great discussions, plus of course the excellent reviews, articles and moderation by the people of NintendoLife.

Be well people, take good care of yourself.

Signed,
Robert

(Nope, you will NOT see me around again, if you're not convinced by these words)_

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

the_shpydar

^I don't think the "1990-2012" necessarily means he's 22, just that he's been gaming for 22 years, as i doubt that he was gaming in his crib.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Knux

I was only two years old when it was 1993. However, there are a lot of 1993 games that I enjoy playing today. Those are Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario All-Stars, Link's Awakening, Sonic CD, and Doom.

Edited on by Knux

Knux

ElementalGBolt

I agree, 1993 was a great year. You had the first Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, Ridge Racer, Doom, Starfox and a lot of new 3d games that were mind blowing back then.

Hey WaveBoy, do you post on racketboy.com? Its a great site that's all about retro games, great forums too.

ElementalGBolt

ogo79

im 32-yeah this is my full time deal
im not ever stopping lol

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.