Forums

Topic: Why people aren't respecting Nintendo?

Posts 201 to 220 of 237

SCRAPPER392

KennyPowers wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Kodeen wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Nintendo has more "mature" IPs, like Metroid, F-Zero, and Starfox. I know some might not consider those mature, but really, they're basically borderline rated M, kind of like Uncharted.

How do you figure?

Starfox has guns and Metroid has alien guts. I guess F-Zero isn't really mature, but it does have a more realistic graphic style than Maraio Kart, and you can fly off course and explode. If they added blood tp Starfox or Metroid, those would probably make the jump to rated M.

And if Princess Peach wore a thong and was topless in SM3DW it would be rated 'AO'.

Except you'd be going out of your way to make Peach nude. Starfox and Metroid have guns, and blood usually goes with that. Some games have blood and are rated T(Injustice: Gods Among Us), but generally blood will basically always result in rated M. They even get gashed to the bone.

@Zombie_Barioth
I understand. Like Injustice, games still have blood and are rated T. I'm surprised Halo is rated M, though. I guess that human combat with a bit of blood is what sets it just over the edge, because it's not that much more violent, aside from the assassinations, which didn't even show up until Reach.

EDIT: Also, we're talking by today's standards. Earthbound used to be rated E, but is now T, for example.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

unrandomsam

The only potentially mature game that Nintendo was involved with is Captain Rainbow. (At least that I can think of relatively recently).

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Socar

unrandomsam wrote:

The only potentially mature game that Nintendo was involved with is Captain Rainbow. (At least that I can think of relatively recently).

Well there's also Fire Emblem and Zelda if I'm correct.

Also Isn't Zelda a bit mature? if it had some blood in it, It be M for sure rather than T.

Seriously though, I don't think that the ESRB is the one that is going to convince gamers to buy the game. If anything it will make parents aware of the game's content and they will try avoiding their kids to get such games at all costs.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

RobbEJay

@SCAR392
Yea, I've never understood it either. Maybe its the amount of blood, or more likely its the flood. I know were talking about today's standards, like I said that was the highest rating for a Harvest Moon game ever. I seriously have no idea how they managed to keep RF4 at E+10, a lot of gags are so blatant that they don't even go your your head. The ESRB ratings are so weird its hard to tell whats what half the time. They haven't changed that much though and theres not much difference between most ratings either.

RobbEJay

Jaz007

T games can have more blood than you think. Many T rated games have splashes of it when you shoot someone (like Uncharted.) In some it even looks a little chunky and gets a blood and gore in the rating (like Lair). In Mount & Blade: Warband also stains on weapons so it's completely red, and also on clothes and faces.

Zombie_Barioth wrote:

@SCAR392
cool, gotcha.

I wouldn't say any of Nintendo's IP are borderline M-rated. You'd be surprised what passes for T or below. Its mostly the seriousness of tone that determines rating I think, a little blood or gore wouldn't hurt much but in a setting like Metroid Prime it could be enough for a higher rating. Heck, Harvest Moon used to feature an actual bar, and in HM64 they had real drinks and everything, yet still passed with an E. The only one that earned a higher rating was A Wonderful Life, with a T, due to the more realistic style.

Tone isn't supposed to have anything to do with an ESRB rating. I'm also guessing you haven't plate the Arkham games. A Wonder Life was also rate E. No Harvest Moon game had even gotten an E-10 rating yet.

@ArtWark Twilight Princes had blood in it. It wasn't red, but it still had blood.

Jaz007

RobbEJay

Jaz007 wrote:

T games can have more blood than you think. Many T rated games have splashes of it when you shoot someone (like Uncharted.) In some it even looks a little chunky and gets a blood and gore in the rating (like Lair). In Mount & Blade: Warband also stains on weapons so it's completely red, and also on clothes and faces.

Zombie_Barioth wrote:

@SCAR392
cool, gotcha.

I wouldn't say any of Nintendo's IP are borderline M-rated. You'd be surprised what passes for T or below. Its mostly the seriousness of tone that determines rating I think, a little blood or gore wouldn't hurt much but in a setting like Metroid Prime it could be enough for a higher rating. Heck, Harvest Moon used to feature an actual bar, and in HM64 they had real drinks and everything, yet still passed with an E. The only one that earned a higher rating was A Wonderful Life, with a T, due to the more realistic style.

Tone isn't supposed to have anything to do with an ESRB rating. I'm also guessing you haven't plate the Arkham games. A Wonder Life was also rate E. No Harvest Moon game had even gotten an E-10 rating yet.

@ArtWark Twilight Princes had blood in it. It wasn't red, but it still had blood.

Whoops, your right, I must have thinking about Melee or Twilight Princess.
The Rune Factory 4 has, although they're spin-offs they're still Harvest Moon.

I forgot about the Arkham games, your right about that too. Eh, it was just a guess, though when I said tone I meant whats actually happening. Take Persona for example, the way the characters unleash their personas. Cartoon violence or not they still appear to be shooting themselves in the head. That'll shock people more than a little splatter of blood. Of course Wind Waker has Link stabbing Ganon in the head, so its probably still not the biggest factor.

RobbEJay

MikeLove

"If Sesame Street had blood and swearing in it, it would be rated TV-M and kids couldn't watch it."

Seriously, why are some of you acting like Nintendo would have several 'mature' games if they just added blood and gore to certain series? It's ridiculous! Your arguments mean nothing because you could add blood and gore to ANY game that has ever existed and see it get a mature rating!!

It doesn't mean that an E rated game is close to being rated M at all! It just shows that throwing gratuitous violence into a game pretty much guarantees a mature rating, no matter how family friendly the rest of the content is.

MikeLove

GuSolarFlare

lol why people think a good complex story that kids won't understand(or with a hidden meaning that kids won't understand) isn't mature?
I mean of course subtle things that adults will enjoy but kids won't give any thought about won't guarentee an M rating but that's because kids won't understand anyway so no harm will be done.
and I'm talking about things like Majora's Mask representing death, not phrases with double meaning like "my Emolga really wants to Shock your Dedenne"
though most of the times not even adults will catch those things(now I'm including the double meanings phrases), I myself only found the ones pointed out to me... XD

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

DualWielding

what matters is not the ESRB rating, what matter is whether the game appeal to different people..... some people just don't like cartoons, Nintendo needs to offer games that look different...... (for example if someone simply doesn't like western animation they wouldn't like Family Guy just because its M rated...... just adding guns or violence to star fox wouldn't cut it..... they need game that aesthetically appeals to people who don't like cartoony art style (and even though they are Japanese, Nintendo's games art style always looks like western animation rather than anime, so it doesn't really appeal to the otaku crowd either)

PSN: Fertheseeker

GuSolarFlare

so, you consider Fire Emblem, Metroid, F-Zero and Star Fox cartoony? from what I've seen/played I don't.
and many Zelda games aren't cartoony
though Star Fox and F-Zero don't count as it's been quite a few years since they had a brand new game...

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

RoryLee

Nintendo games are the most appealing in the video game market. Not only the visual style of the games, but also the easiest for a non-gamer to join in and have some fun playing. Most likely you try to have someone new try Battlefield or The Last of Us, they are going to give up pretty fast.

And I think the main reason for the all the Nintendo hate is because the Sony and Microsoft fans want Nintendo games on their system.

Nintendo ID: RoryLee
3DS: 3007-8085-6351

Action51

What is being confused here are several things:

1) childish VS family friendly
2) mature vs juvenile

Let's take this first example: the Toy Story movies.

These films are colorful, lively and enjoyed by children everywhere. There is nothing parents can really object to in the story or on screen images.

However, I wouldn't call those movies childish, because they are clever enough to be enjoyed by all ages and have emotional impact as well as deeper meanings below the bright and colorful exterior.

Star Wars is another example of a movie that is widely considered family friendly while not necessarily being childish.

Now our second example: The Friday the 13th series of films.

These films are full of content that's not very appropriate for small children, but there is nothing mature about them. The Fast and Furious movies...which are less overtly problematic for small children to watch contain elements geared toward a juvenile audience nonetheless. The situations are contrived, the plot holes are enormous, and the characters do not behave realistically.

These movies contain overt amounts of blood, sexual innuendo, coarse language, and violence.

This by itself doesn't make them "bad" movies...but it only means they have deliberately chosen to include content that may be inappropriate for small children.

Third example: Dora the Explorer

This is a series made for small children. The content is geared toward very young people, and very young people only. This is a childish show.

Final example: Casablanca

This is a classic film that depicts the relationship of a man and a woman strained by the realities of love, self sacrifice, and impending war. There is absolutely nothing in this film that you would object to having a small child watch, but ultimately this is a more mature film then my previous examples.

Edited on by Action51

Action51

MikeLove

GuSilverFlame wrote:

so, you consider Fire Emblem, Metroid, F-Zero and Star Fox cartoony? from what I've seen/played I don't.
and many Zelda games aren't cartoony

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

All of those games are considered CARTOONY

Games like GTA, COD, Red Dead Redemption, Assassins Creed, etc would be considered realistic looking.

When people complain about a game being "cartoony" they are complaining about the art style, NOT the content or subject matter....

-Shooting pink fluffy bunnies with a gun that looks like a candy cane, and having the bunnies disappear in a puff of rainbow smoke = cartoony

-Shooting grey realistic looking bunnies with an M-16 and having their insides explode out all over the screen = mature/realistic looking

All you guys are getting hung up on "ohh the story in Zelda is about love and personal growth!! its mature!" and ignoring the fact that it's cartoon aesthetic is what people are talking about when they classify it as a "kid's game"

Edited on by MikeLove

MikeLove

GuSolarFlare

well then, other than the fact you picked the most cartoon like possible images(except for Fire Emblem and F-Zero, to me that's anime style, not cartoony) I don't know what's cartoony(pretty much possible since english isn't my original language)

my Backloggery

Action51

@KennyPowers

I don't find those games to be realistic looking (Starfox, F-Zero), but at the same time, there is nothing realistic about Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty. Police who give up chasing a mass murdering car thief after two blocks, and health that regenerates in seconds after being shot repeatedly by world dominating South American militants is kinda...not realistic either. Also, as far as Assassin's Creed goes...ancestry does not work that way!

Also, it's kind of telling you choose pixel art representations of Samus Aran and the Metroid series, and not any of the more recent examples like Prime or Other M.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Read my post about the difference between mature/childish/family friendly/ juvenile...I totally agree with you on the art style, but the tone and context issue is a more nuanced one.

Edited on by Action51

Action51

DualWielding

Fire emblem is the only that its anime style, Star Fox, F Zero and Zelda I would call Cartoony....... as i said there's nothing wrong with Cartoony, but some people just don't like it you need to have more variety of visual styles to attract different audiences and I do think the visual style is more important than 'mature content', people wont' suddenly like Star Fox because they throw Swearing and guns on it, but they may like a new franchise by Nintendo which is not M rated but its nonetheless realistic looking and takes itself seriously

PSN: Fertheseeker

GuSolarFlare

ferthepoet wrote:

Fire emblem is the only that its anime style, Star Fox, F Zero and Zelda I would call Cartoony....... as i said there's nothing wrong with Cartoony, but some people just don't like it you need to have more variety of visual styles to attract different audiences and I do think the visual style is more important than 'mature content', people wont' suddenly like Star Fox because they throw Swearing and guns on it, but they may like a new franchise by Nintendo which is not M rated but its nonetheless realistic looking and takes itself seriously

well you're right on this(I was talking about that F-zero image specifically, it's even from the anime itself. XD)
some people judge things too much by the looks, I personally like all styles that aren't an eyesore(except, maybe N64 some games literally hurt the eyes I like it mostly because of nostalgia)

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

my Backloggery

MikeLove

Action51 wrote:

@KennyPowers

I don't find those games to be realistic looking (Starfox, F-Zero), but at the same time, there is nothing realistic about Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty. Police who give up chasing a mass murdering car thief after two blocks, and health that regenerates in seconds after being shot repeatedly by world dominating South American militants is kinda...not realistic either. Also, as far as Assassin's Creed goes...ancestry does not work that way!

Also, it's kind of telling you choose pixel art representations of Samus Aran and the Metroid series, and not any of the more recent examples like Prime or Other M.

Read my post about the difference between mature/childish/family friendly/ juvenile...I totally agree with you on the art style, but the tone and context issue is a more nuanced one.

I went back and edited my post to clarify my stance.

When people say a game is "realistic" they are talking about the visuals and the design. When someone says Zelda is "cartoony" they are talking about the art style and look only, they aren't talking about the story.

That said, I play both cartoony and realistic looking games, so I don't care either way. However lots of gamers are put off by playing a colorful looking game with cute looking characters.

Edited on by MikeLove

MikeLove

Sleepingmudkip

Nintendo more about art style then it looking realistic.....(lets act like Yoshi new island never existed)

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

KennyPowers wrote:

However lots of gamers are put off by playing a colorful looking game with cute looking characters.

Only because its a gut reaction to something that reminds them of something they once enjoyed as a child, but have now arbitrarily given up in order to signify their so-called maturity...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.