Forums

Topic: should i get a ps3 or a xbox 360 pros and cons of each system

Posts 21 to 36 of 36

Bahamut_ZERO

360 is my favorite of the 2 consoles, since it appeals to me more, however the PS3 really caught up and at this point is the superior investment.

If you're going wireless for the 360, you practically need the adapter. It's got the best connection with the 360. I've tried other forms of wireless but only the adapter worked for me. The thing is, I can't have a cable. A lot of people don't have their system and computer in the same room, so wired is not an option.

If you do have wired though, the price is still pretty close:

Pro + Wired Cable (let's say $30) + 1 year of XBL ($50) = $380. Plus with a possible price cut soon (let's be honest though, it is going to happen), the PS3 will be slightly cheaper. Point is, price is not really an argument anymore, so if you add everything else up, the PS3 is superior at this point.

Really though, it comes down to opinion, so pick whichever ones you prefer. Here are pros and cons:

Xbox 360: Pros- Superior controller (particularly for FPS), high-quality shooter, RPGs, superior downloadable service, better overall online (though you have to pay), slightly more variety
Cons- RROD is a problem if you buy a used/refurbished console (make sure the one you buy is new and made past August 08), you have to pay for online (not that much though, you just buy 1 less game a year)

PS3: Pros- Superior and larger variety of current and upcoming exclusives, blu-ray capability, free online
Cons- Online weaker then 360, blu-ray DVDs cost a ton of money, weaker downloadable service, receives many downloadable games and content later then 360 users

Bahamut_ZERO

The_Fox

weirdadam wrote:

. And if you do need / want it, it's way overpriced.

Well, that depends. You can find it new on eBay for about $50 if you do a little looking. I've never bought a video game peripheral anywhere else and have yet to have a problem.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Adam

@ Bahamut
$30 for an ethernet cable? Goodness gracious. Assuming your 360 is right next to the outlet and you just need a short one, I wouldn't pay more than a couple bucks. Plus, don't 360s come with a cable? PS3 comes with wireless and a long cable, so you're covered either way.

Now, while I agree that currently, unless you're playing entirely offline gaming, the two consoles are roughly the same cost, but all this talk about PS3 getting a price cut is baffling. The rumor has been going on forever, and it's not happening. I'll be glad if it does, but there's no reason to be so certain. If it's going to happen, it'll be announced within a couple months, most likely at the Tokyo Game Show (which is in late September) if not before then.

@ Fox
I was just going by what others here have said. I never buy new from Ebay. I wouldn't expect something new to be cheaper on an auction site. But as long as we're talking Ebay, you can find anything cheaper on Ebay, PS3's included, so I don't know that it matters.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Bahamut_ZERO

@Adam: Well I don't know pricing, I never bought one before
The price drop rumors are flying because Sony has an extra-long press conference August 18th, and lots of rumors/info of the Slim are flying around, which would mean a price drop for the reg versions.

Bahamut_ZERO

Adam

Ah, now there's some information that changes things up a bit. Most of the rumors I've read have been entirely baseless aside from citing industry speculators, who are almost always wrong.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Ricardo91

Are there any PS3 games besides I'd say get an Xbox 360. It's got the best online offerings of any console this gen (IMO, at least, I'm sure some PS3 fanboys here would beg to differ. ), has great exclusives (Banjo: N&B, Dead Rising), has tons of great games on XBLA, It's cheap, and the new Jasper chip has fixed it's technical shortcomings tremendously. The downsides are that it has no built-in wireless, the online has to be paid for, and though it has great exclusives, there's not a lot of "true" ones. Also the required Microsoft avatars are ugly.

odd69

Not to mention Sony is getting Final Fantasy 14 online , so i think when that happends, Sony will catch up with Microsoft just a tad

my wii number: 8754-9981-5119-6538
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles number: 1290-4359-9435
PlayStationNetworkID: odd69

Firkraag

odd69 wrote:

Not to mention Sony is getting Final Fantasy 14 online , so i think when that happends, Sony will catch up with Microsoft just a tad

For final fantasy fans perhaps, you can't really believe everyone wants that. In summary, it's not something that will make or break a console.

There he goes, Firkraag. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. - My VGscore

LzWinky

i don't know if I want to pay so much for a video game system if I can't trust the company that made it

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Ricardo91

Firkraag wrote:

odd69 wrote:

For final fantasy fans perhaps, you can't really believe everyone wants that. In summary, it's not something that will make or break a console.

With a name like Final Fantasy, you'd be surprised.

jangonov

I think you should get a 360. I just got a preview of the update that is coming on august 11th. Netflix is waaay more awesome now. You can choose what movies you want from the 360 now.And the quality is much better than when it first premiered. Games on demand is a very welcome addition. You can download full 360 games. Tomorrow I am downloading Bioshock.

Wii : 5234 3442 0233 5325
3DS: 2664-2106-1671
I have A LOT of games, if you want to play something, just email me jangonov&#...

mmm, tough question but this year I think ps3. The list of "only for ps3" games for 2009-2010 is really impressive. I like my 360 but this year... I have to admit that the exclusives are kind of short: disappointed with Halo Wars and I don't care about Halo 3: ODST (Halo without Master Chief is like a Zelda without Link for me).

Edited on by emiru69

emiru69

KDR_11k

weirdadam wrote:

@ Bahamut
$30 for an ethernet cable? Goodness gracious. Assuming your 360 is right next to the outlet and you just need a short one, I wouldn't pay more than a couple bucks. Plus, don't 360s come with a cable?

Yep. I suspect he meant a very long cable (10-20m) which the system obviously does not include. We wired up the whole house anyway so the 360 was right next to the switch.

Raincoat whore!

Bahamut_ZERO

@Adam: Glad to help

@emiru: Firefight is going to be worth the $60 by itself. Think everything else as "extra."

Bahamut_ZERO

Knux

You should buy a PS3. The Xbox 360 has so many technical problems, that isn't even laughable. There are also bettter games on the PS3. Some of those games are:Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and many more.

Knux

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.