Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,781 to 12,800 of 70,011

IceClimbers

Also of note is that Genyo Takeda, Nintendo's Technology Fellow (and one of the lead designers/directors behind the Wii), will be retiring in June.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Peek-a-boo

Yeah, there's no denying that those numbers are good.

I really like the above 1:1 attach ratio for the number of copies of Breath of the Wild to the amount of Switch's sold. I don't think anything quite like this has happened before, which goes to show that the big Zelda fans like to buy the main game (physically or digitally) as well as the Master Sword collectors edition too.

They are definitely low-balling the 10 million figure for hardware though. It shall do 10-15% more than that.

This Christmas is going to be crazy.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will be $199; the Switch may well be bundled with Super Mario Odyssey for (hopefully) $299; the Scorpio is likely to cater to the Xbox fans and for those who are seeking the 'prettiest place' to play third party games; the new 3DS shall (hopefully) be $99 again too!

Healthy competition for all.

Peek-a-boo

skywake

Peek-a-boo wrote:

I agree with a lot of things you say, but not this. 'Time poor' or not, Final Fantasy VII is a PlayStation game.

Final Fantasy VII along with the likes of Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Spyro the Dragon, Tekken and Tomb Raider were the defining games of the PSone era, and everybody associates those games with the PlayStation.

You realise that five of those seven franchises you listed are on other platforms now right? Some are almost comically not Playstation these days. Rise of the Tomb Raider launched on XBOne first, Resident Evil got a release built specifically for 3DS, Skylanders the series that Spyro morphed into sold better on Wii U than PS4. In Smash Bros you could play a match with Cloud vs Sonic vs Pacman vs Mario on a stage based on the opening level of Bayonetta. So I don't think that brand loyalty matters quite as much as you think it does.

Is it weird thinking about the possibility of a game like Tomb Raider or something appearing on the Switch? Well sure. Definitely. But that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. And there's no rule that says the Final Fantasy 7 remake can't appear on a Nintendo console.

Really, there are weirder things than that looking back at history. Historical ironies. A bigger one than the idea of FF7 on Nintendo would be me as an Australian who talking positively about products from Japan. Especially a couple of days after ANZAC day as an Australian who's Great Uncle was on the Burma Rail. In terms of historical irony? That's far stranger than FF appearing on a Nintendo platform again after famously not for a bit.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

mav-i-am

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@mav-i-am Because expecting PlayStation 4-esque visuals on the Switch is totally realistic, right?

on a tarted up game that was released in 97?? not sure why power would be an issue tbh.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

@skywake I think you slightly misread the part about those games I listed.

Most of them were born (and raised) on the original PlayStation, and are still tied to peoples memories of said console, be it for nostalgic reasons or being the first place any one of those games were played on.

I get what you are saying about the majority of those series being multi-format nowadays, which is true, mostly for various business reasons (games are more expensive to make nowadays, and it is harder to recoup their budget) however, that wasn't the point I was originally making.

This is coming from someone who grew up exclusively playing Nintendo consoles, and when somebody asks me where I think so-and-so game became well known on, like those six or seven games I mentioned above, the PSone is often the reply I give, even though I had never played them at the time.

Saying that, if FFVII Remake comes on the Switch, in whatever form it ends up being, then everybody wins.

I am a bit of a history buff, and I liked reading your little Australian tale at the end! Quite amusing.

p.s. Rise of the Tomb Raider was on Xbox One first due to Microsoft paying Square Enix a large sum of money to keep it off 'other' platforms for a whole year. That didn't really work out for either of them...

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

@mav-i-am I don't think you quite understand what the Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to be.

It's a full blown remake of the entire world in Final Fantasy VII, from ground up. It isn't going to be a 'tarted up' version of the original game that had static pre-rendered backgrounds and blocky characters as your companions.

Original:

Untitled

'Tarted up':

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

I get the feeling Ultra Street Fighter II may get DLC or updates with new characters post-launch. The wording of this tweet suggests more:

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Eric258

@Grumblevolcano Yeah you're right. Saying the " first new additions" does make you think that. Then again, it could be a weirdly worded tweet.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

rallydefault

@Peek-a-boo
Well you just explained why you're wrong: you gamed exclusively on Nintendo systems growing up, so that's your perspective. But not everyone here was like that, including me. I gamed on everything. I always had a Nintendo system, but I was lucky enough to have a dad who was early into the home computer scene, and I did own PS1 and PS2 when those came out.

And your list of games that are were "born and raised on the Playstation" is just wrong, coming from somebody with a broader perspective. Tomb Raider "born and raised" on that ecosystem? What the heck is PC, chopped liver? Same goes with Tekken - did you not visit arcades when you were a kid? I don't associate Tekken with PS, I associate it with arcade cabinets. And I (and many others) played Tomb Raider on PC out of that crazy-shaped box.

The only games I agree with that "feel" very Playstationy are Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. It didn't take long for Metal Gear stuff to start coming out on other systems, minus the fact it was a Nintendo series in the first place. (You'll argue you meant specifically Metal Gear SOLID, so yea... take your wins where you can get them lol)

FF VII would "feel" just fine on the Switch. Saying otherwise is a very narrow, kinda odd viewpoint. The Switch is perfect for RPGs, and as @skywake said, for poor old dude like me over 30 with a family and very little time.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo sees Switch console doubling profit, ending 8-year sales slide

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-nintendo-results-idUKKBN17T0SX

First time since 2009 apparently that Nintendo sales have increased. I don't really get that. Anyway, these issues aren't going away.

CLSA analyst Jay Defibaugh in a recent report said, unlike the Wii, the early popularity was not being driven by games demonstrating defining characteristics, such as a controller with motion-detection camera, but by games that could equally appear on Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation or Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) Xbox.

"(This) leaves Nintendo vulnerable to the structural shortage of third-party titles, deficient online offering, and weaker graphics," he said.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

mav-i-am

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@mav-i-am I don't think you quite understand what the Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to be.

It's a full blown remake of the entire world in Final Fantasy VII, from ground up. It isn't going to be a 'tarted up' version of the original game that had static pre-rendered backgrounds and blocky characters as your companions.

Original:

Untitled

'Tarted up':

Untitled

and the switch cant do this why?

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

@rallydefault I don't particularly wish to repeat - and potentially go around in circles - the same things to you as I have already said to skywake.

I'm in my late-twenties, so of course we are going to have different perspectives when we grew up.

I was lucky enough to have one or possibly two games a year when we had a SNES and N64. They were very expensive gifts for my parents to buy back in the day, and I used to remember playing one game for months at a time compared to the comparatively disposable nature of games nowadays.

You obvious had the luxury of playing on anything and everything that me and many other children never had.

I also felt like I was in a bubble at school, seeing as everybody and their Nan owned a PSone, which is why I personally associate some (not all) of the games I mention above with the original PlayStation.

All you really needed to take away from my message is this:

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Saying that, if Final Fantasy VII Remake comes on the Switch, in whatever form it ends up being, then everybody wins.

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

The Switch isn't going to run FF7R without it receiving a significant downgrade. The platform just isn't that powerful, and I don't think Squeenix will go for it with that release. Not right away, at least.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Made in UE4 isnt it? A lot of that is scalable such as lighting and effects which doesnt take much work at all. Its not like theyd have to complete rebuild lighting using it anymore.

Its certainly more possible than it was before, thats the point. Not that it could happen but that the tools are available.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

I honestly don't think the footage they've shown for FF7R looks stupidly high end. I mean it looks good but it's not really pushing the spec. Unless people are seeing something I'm not. I highly doubt that the Switch isn't capable of running it. Whether the politics and so on line up for it to appear on Switch would be the bigger thing holding it back.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

zitpig

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Nintendo CEO: There Are More Unannounced Switch Titles That Will Boost The Console's Sales

I should jolly well hope so!

zitpig

zitpig

It's the CEO's quote, so I would suspect Nintendo's own first party titles. But you never know. Time, as ever, will tell.

zitpig

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic