Forums

Topic: We don`t need EA on Switch !!!

Posts 201 to 220 of 224

LuckyLand

If you want to do well in Europe (at least here in Italy) you need to have a different name other than Nintendo cause the mainstream audience here thinks that if you play anything else than Fifa and/or COD you are weird and pathetic and people don't want to be seen playing on a console with colourful and fun games.
It's not the fact that those games are not on Nintendo, it is the fact that Nintendo is Nintendo, none of those people would buy it anyway and wouldn't be interested to play their games on it.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Razer

@LuckyLand I dont know about Italy but i know that you are wrong about this when it comes to the UK, people here love Nintendo and they would buy more Nintendo if Nintendo had more Fifa & COD. you may not be attracted by those type of games but if you tell someone in the UK they can play console quality Fifa or Cod away from the TV they will bite your hand off.

I know France has a similar attitude towards their games, France is the home of Manga and Comics in Europe, so they like colorful things, i know they liked the 3DS as it sold very well in France due to the many Anime games that came out for it.

So as far as i know you are Wrong about Both the UK and France, Nintendo would do great here with publishers like EA on board.

Razer

brickofthewild

@LuckyLand

I think times are chaning and people are less biased nowadays. Lots of people in Europe grew up with Mario, Zelda and Pokemon and know that its not just for kids. But you are right, there is still lots of people who just play fifa and cod - there will always be people who follow certain trends without thinking for themselves. I dont think that releasing those games on Switch will change those peoples minds - those people are generally up for the most powerful console and wouldnt play on the go - now that would look weird, wouldnt it.

brickofthewild

MarcelRguez

@Razer Well, he's right about Spain too so take that into account.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

SM4SHshorts

Tbh, I'm thoroughly enjoying FIFA on Switch simply from a local multiplayer standpoint, and have already clocked the same number of hours on it as I have done BotW. I don't delve into its microtransaction-filled modes such as FUT, but simply use the game when friends are over etc. - and I'm loving it.

I do agree with some of the initial statements made, but as many have mentioned, it should still be offered as a choice to those who want to enjoy EA games.

Follow @SM4SHshorts on Instagram – the Super Smash Bros. 4 community channel for fun and original replay edits and general content. Send your clips to [email protected] for a chance to have them edited and featured!

Nintendo Network ID: SM4SHshorts | Twitter:

StuTwo

Whenever EA comes up I'm never sure whether I've got a metaphorical brick in my hand ready to launch through their windows (I visualise EA as an abandoned 19th century mill with a few panes of glass still intact for vandals to hit) or whether it's actually a piece of metaphorical dirt ready to throw onto their coffin as it's lowered into the ground.

Either way it's a bit sad. They were truly great once and if that body gets lowered into the ground it takes a lot of fantastic (but very long in the tooth) IPs with it.

They are still important because they have the development expertise to manufacture and sell licensed sports games (and they have the exclusive licenses that in some sports makes any meaningful competition basically impossible). However Nintendo can succeed without them and I am not their audience. I'd much rather the audience for videogames diverge as far from EA as possible if I'm honest.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Harmonie

Nintendoforlife wrote:

Harmonie wrote:

@Nintendoforlife I do acknowledge they exist. However, I think PC is the best platform for the series by and far. Even when they've made the game more like the PC version (The Sims 4 is a bad game, anyway. It's already so watered down compared to the past TS games), the lack of ability to mod and have custom content makes it less exciting for me. Mods are pretty much necessary for The Sims games.

Ahhh I might have misread that, I took you saying "would ruin it" to mean it's not on consoles but if it ever was it wouldn't work. Now I see it's more like it's happened the past, so if they brought it over to the Switch you would get the same results. What mods do you personally think you would need for the game to feel complete to you?

Sorry for taking so long to respond... Super busy Finals week and all. And I should still be studying right now. lol

I've been using mods and CC for so long in The Sims that I'm not even sure that it would be recognizable without them. The Sims 3 - the one I play the most, has some major programming issues, and modders set out to fix that so we can enjoy the game as it should have been to begin with. The most glaring example is with Story Progression in TS3. If you play without a mod to fix it, the game will stop bringing babies and children into the neighborhood and you'll end up with a dying neighborhood.

So that's just one huge example. I need to get back to studying, but thought I would respond, even if it was super late.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Razer

@MarcelRguez I would imagin he is also right about a lot of eastern European countries too as Nintendo doesn't do particularly well there either, but these markets are so small, look at the video games market as a whole in both UK and Germany (Germany also loves Nintendo) compared to Spain and Italy + some Eastern European countries then you will see why Nintendo doesn't really market their products in these countries too well, they honestly don't need to, the UK gaming market alone is bigger than both Spain's and Italy's put together, it would cost you the same to market your product in each country, but your return would be much bigger from the UK.

Razer

MarcelRguez

@Razer You're right, but that's kind of a chicken and egg situation, isn't it? The videogame market in Spain is strong, it just isn't strong for Nintendo. Sony's stuff does pretty well here, but that's because they're willing to actually promote their stuff here. There are both cultural and economic reasons why Nintendo struggles in some European markets. The UK has the benefit of belonging to the anglosphere, Germany is NoE's HQ. Not sure about France, that one might be because French localization for games has existed for longer than Spanish/Italian localization (multi-3 vs multi-5)

MarcelRguez

Razer

@MarcelRguez Yep defo a chicken and egg situation to a degree in that if Nintendo decides to start effectively marketing their products in those countries, they would see a slice of the pie that Sony has access to currently in countries like Spain and Italy, But im more inclined to think that there are more than these factors at play here such as cultural differences as well.

But also look at this picture as a whole, not just Nintendo but gaming in general Sony included, while Spain's gaming market is strong, its no where near as big as the UK's or Germany's. That wont change anytime soon.

for arguments sake here are the numbers from the 2016 reports

Spain gaming market as a whole valued at $1.8B
Germany gaming market valued at $4.1 billion
UK gaming market valued at $6.0~ billion

The UK's valuation was done in British Pounds whereas others where done in Dollars so my conversion might be off, the figure was £4.3 billion. To put this in further perspective, if it costs you 3 million dollars to market your product in both UK and Spain, but your return from UK will be more than 3 times as much, why would you spend the 3 million to market Spain when you can just use that 3 million to better the experience for those in the UK to ensure they keep coming back, as your market there would be bigger anyway.

If you manage to capture 1/3rd of the gaming market in the UK with 3 million dollars then you will have earned the entire value of Spain's gaming market as a whole (more than $2 billion) - if you do the same in Spain you will get less than 1/6th of the available profit from the UK. if you decide to only market to the UK, strengthening your 1/3rd to around 40%-50%. you will be passing the entire value of Spain's whole gaming market. Which you could never possibly get 100% of anyway.

One could argue that "profit is profit" but you could also argue that your profits from one will be too big for you to consider marketing to another.

This is why Sony are bleeding money and Nintendo are making money

Edited on by Razer

Razer

Octane

@Razer I'm pretty sure that Sony's PlayStation brand is more profitable than Nintendo. Even their revenue from PS+ alone was more than the entirety of what Nintendo made last year.

Octane

Razer

@Octane this statement is hugely incorrect but i'll tell you why in a moment. I dont mean Playstation, i mean Sony.

Sony as a business are losing money on every single division except their gaming market, their movie industry lost 1 billion this year alone large in part due to poor marketing.

So the reason why this statement is wrong is simply because looking at Sony as a business (all divisions included, mobile, entertainment, electronic, Gaming ect...) is worth $48 billion.

Nintendo as a whole (only does gaming, nothing else but video games) is valued at around $49.5 billion

I dont know how much Sony's gaming division is but i know its not as big as Nintendo's or as profitable. Sony might make more money from game sales but they wont make as much profit, Nintendo spends less than Sony to make their games, MUCH less, and they spend less marketing their products, as Sony does a lot of useless marketing that goes nowhere and Nintendo sell their games for the same or more than Sony = much higher profit

Edited on by Razer

Razer

NEStalgia

@StuTwo Terrible analogies. We all know EA looks more like this:
Untitled

@Rusted_Gold EA doesn't really have any great developers under their control anymore. They bought a bunch of formerly great studios, but most of them they shut down and consumed the IPs, and others they folded into EA corporate, replaced most of the management structure, and had MASSIVE turnovers of staff (after a long period of genuine abuse.) They have great NAMES....but those names exist in the same way Rare exists post-Microsoft, while the real staff are at Playtonic. Their indie publishing program is the real deal (and is actually targeting Switch, anyway....so it may be a win-win) but their corporate studios.... they really do look like StuTwo's 19th century abandoned mill with a few panes of glass left.

it really comes down to their deadlock on sports licenses. But as to if Switch needs those...the sales of FIFA and NBA suggest the answer is probably no. The attach rate isn't all that impressive. If people that have switches aren't buying those games, fewer still are buying Switches FOR those games. It's entirely realistic that EA Sports' market and Nintendo's market don't significantly overlap in a way that's meaningful for either company.

NEStalgia

Octane

@Razer You were talking about profits, now you're talking about the value of the entire company. Pick one.

Octane

Razer

@Octane actually if you read the last part i talked about profit as well.

"Nintendo spends less than Sony to make their games, MUCH less, and they spend less marketing their products, as Sony does a lot of useless marketing that goes nowhere and Nintendo sell their games for the same or more than Sony = much higher profit"

To further explain what i mean, Nintendo have streamlined their marketing to be more effective (targetting more profitable markets like i explained in more detail on an earlier post), therefore costing them less to market a product that is valued at same as or more than their competitor.

Also due to the high specs on the PS4, games especially AAA games are vastly more expensive to create whereas Nintendo's are a lot cheaper, also take into account that many of Nintendo's big hitting exclusives are made from their own in-house software development teams, further driving down costs of developing games for their systems (case in point is both Mario and Zelda), while Sony's are mostly outsourced to other development studios. which further drives up the cost of creating games for Sony and drives down the profit margin.

all this in a nutshell means that Nintendo is more profitable than Sony, which would make sense as they are as a business valued more than Sony.

Edited on by Razer

Razer

Razer

@Octane Your earlier statement was at one stage correct but that was a long time ago during the mid 00's when their PS2 console was at its peak, they also had the PSP on market, it did lose to the DS but was hugely profitable in its own right, they just bought out Ericsson phone brand to make their own phones that were hugely popular at the time, their laptops were good too, they were making profitable movies (first Spider-man trilogy, Bad Boys 2 e ct...).

at that stage Sony was valued at 70~ billion.

Since then, movies went down the pan, PS3 actually lost Sony a lot of their market value, as it wasn't profitable for the first 2.5 years of its life, by which point Sony's share values had degraded so much that any profit it would make after would not recoup the loses (they actually finished 3rd in the last console wars). The PSN hacking cost them dearly too, they have had to discontinue their laptops and their phones are bleeding money right now.

PS Vita was the metaphorical equivalent to Sony running head first into a brick wall with spikes on it without a helmet. no reason or design, it makes virtually no business sense to do what they did with the PS Vita. None at all.

Then there's their electronics departments, TV's are not profitable as a venture for any business anymore, they cost so much to make, the technology lasts way too long and doesn't yield fast turn overs (TV's last sometimes for 10 years without needing to be replaced.) and most other electronic devices radios are a neesh that nobody cares about. Their speakers or headphones are a joke compared to Beats or Bose

Sony's only profit spinners right now are Asian finance consultancy firm that is apparently insanely profitable as a business and their PS4, which as of the last month has been cannibalized in its native home by the Switch.

Edited on by Razer

Razer

MarcelRguez

@Razer For sure, I'm not denying what you claim. Part of it is cultural, part of it has to do with the average disposable income of each country. The figures, even if they're not exact, are very illustrative, so thanks for that.

MarcelRguez

shadow-wolf

@premko1 Exactly, because there are few AAA third party games on Switch. If EA and others were to bring more of their games over, then there would be more mass-market appeal on the Switch (although at the rate Switch is selling at, maybe it already has mass-market appeal?)
@GrailUK I'm ignoring the microtransaction aspect, since I feel the average Joe doesn't notice or care about that (though micro transactions are terrible). They just want FIFA to play with their mates, so those sort of games I feel would benefit Switch. Switch is doing well, but it wouldn't hurt to have those games.

shadow-wolf

kkslider5552000

It would hurt anyone who has a gambling issue. Maybe including kids who would not have a gambling issue before this.

: /

: /////////////////////////////////////

Man, this thread looks less "typical Nintendo fan bashing publishers who jumped off the Wii U ship" and more "no, we want this awful company doing horrible things away from our console, we're better than this" every day. At least to me it does. How much does your company have to suck that Nintendo fan complaining is the smart, and clear moral high ground?

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

@Razer
"Sony's only profit spinners right now are Asian finance consultancy firm that is apparently insanely profitable as a business and their PS4, which as of the last month has been cannibalized in its native home by the Switch."

Sooo...
Basically, whatever Sony did , it will never safe their company from Financial loss, because of Switch success ?

Anti-Matter

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.