Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Posts 501 to 520 of 942

Cambam12

Well oh well I guess. There really isn’t much you can with do ss textures so with ai then look good enough. However dynamic shadows and slightly tweaked lighting could’ve gone a long way@Dezzy

Edited on by Cambam12

Cambam12

Dezzy

As NLife have pointed out in their recent youtube videos, another improvement this version seems to have is the ability to control the camera. How do people think that will actually work in the handheld mode? They should just have it so that holding down R1 switches to sword mode, or something like that.

@Cambam12

Yeah I wish they'd done more, but then we probably wouldn't have got 1080p 60fps if they had. For the sake of comparison, Xenoblade DE was 720p 30fps.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

The camera control is huge. It’s one of those things we take for granted, until we don’t have it and suddenly realize how annoying it is.

I think holding a shoulder button to activate sword mode for handheld would be a good option. Or, have sword mode only activate when Z-targeting or holding the button for Z-targeting. But, worst case scenario it still functions like the original in handheld, but we get camera control when playing with joycon. Either way that’s a win

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Dezzy

I hope not, I'm trying to avoid using joycons as much as possible to limit the drifting. I really don't think they'd leave a feature out of the handheld mode. I mean they've kinda marketed Switch more as a handheld at this point in time, what with the Lite and now the OLED version (I guess that can be played with joycon, I just don't know many people who do that), they can't really make that version functionally inferior, surely?

Edited on by Dezzy

JaxonH

@Dezzy
I don’t think they will, but I’m looking at this as a baseline win. At the bare minimum, we at least have camera when using motion (and maybe even in handheld, probably anyways). Skyward sword is a game I will indeed play handheld, however, I will be using docked and tabletop as much as possible. The game really was designed around motion. Plus, I use tabletop a lot anyways. It’s just a much more luxurious portable gaming experience than handheld alone.

Btw, I feel kind of bad seeing people limit their experiences out of fear of drift. Not that that fear isn’t warranted, it certainly is. But at least personally speaking, I would never let that impact how I enjoy games. If I get drift down the line, so be it. Nothing a can of compressed air can’t likely fix, and if not, worst case I send it in. I’ve got plenty of other joycon to use in the meantime, and even if I didn’t, I’d just buy a backup for 35 bucks.

But all of that can be negated entirely using Binbok joycon. More ergonomic, has a D pad, still wireless, gyro is just as good, analogs have wider range, and they’re cheaper. Food for thought.

My brother told me he hated playing on his Switch because his launch joycon got drift. Apparently he’d been putting up with it for half a year. I was like, why didn’t you just pop $35 for a replacement, or send it in? So I gave him a spare set I had, and now he’s gaming on it all the time again.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Dezzy

@JaxonH

Part of my issue is that I replaced my joycon shells with these cool transparent-black ones, and it was an absolute nightmare to get them put back together properly, so I'm really trying to limit how much I need to reopen them. Contact cleaner and compressed air often work, but sometimes you do just need to change the stick, so I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible.

JaxonH

@Dezzy
Sounds like a pain. It may not be exactly exactly same but, I felt the same way with modding my 3DS. The one I had got it's screen scratched (I ultimately paid to have the screen replaced but this was before that), but I had a backup, and just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

Still, I really do recommend checking out these Binbok. Best $50 I ever spent on Switch related product. By far.

Oh snap, and they're on sale for $38!!! If that's not a universal sign Idk what is 😀

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Compatible-Adjustable-Repla...

rallydefault

Man... haven't been so pumped for a game's release in a long time. I can't wait!!

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@rallydefault me too. I barely scratched the surface when I tried it on wii u. So I'm excited to fully dive in this weekend.

NintendoByNature

Dezzy

@JaxonH

Cool, those look good. Not currently available on the UK page though. I might grab them in the future if they become available again.
They're nicer aesthetically than most of the third party joycons too. And do they have all of the same functions as the official ones?

rallydefault

@NintendoByNature
lol I'm the exact same. I never owned a Wii, so I didn't play it there, and then I bought a used copy to play on my Wii U. I think I just got to the surface before I drifted off to something else. I wasn't really great with sticking to games on my Wii U in general lol

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@rallydefault for me it was preserving my wrists lol. I loved the 10-12 hours I played, but it was quite a hassle with the controls. As of the last year or so I've played my wii u leas and less. I'll still turn it on with the kids and stuff, but I haven't sat down and done much with it other than fiddle around with some stuff. I have a ton of zelda/metroid on it, which is the main reason I go back to it in general.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@Dezzy
Yup. Aside from NFC (which no 3rd party controller has) and the rumble isn't "HD" (which no 3rd party controller has). But the rumble feels really good, and has 3 intensity settings. Personally I love it. I mean sure, it's not quite as good as HD rumble, but it's respectable.

I got Hori Split Pad Pro and it was horrible. No wireless. No Gyro. No rumble. Too fat for Switch to fit in any case I have. Can't make it into a Pro Controller (because again, no wireless).

I've bought multiple sets of 3rd party joycon in a 4 year pursuit of the perfect solution. They all had shortcomings or issues with the analog response mapping. Binbok is it. It's the perfect 3rd party joycon.

What's so nice is, they're slimmer than Hori Pad Pro, so Switch fits in a case I have, but they still managed to ensure your thumb naturally rests over the right analog by recessing it lower into the controller. And by doing so they were able to make it taller with more range of motion, without protruding any higher than official Switch joycon analogs. They're very well designed.

And because the grip for making it a pro controller is perfectly flat, it easily slips into your case, unlike the official joycon grip, and yet still manages to feel better in hand.

Another small thing is the Minus and Plus are round buttons, easier to use. There's also turbo but eh, nobody cares about that. There is RGB lights around the analogs though and it looks absolutely sick. Any color combo you want. Blue/Blue, Blue/Green, Blue/Red, Green/Pink, Yellow/Yellow, Pink/Purple, Rainbow/Rainbow, whatever you want. With multiple brightness settings.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@Dezzy
BTW you can buy direct here but they're not on sale (also, they make a fatter model same size as Hori Pro... it's not as good, thought it would be but it doesn't feel anywhere close to as good)

https://binbok.com/products/joycon-controller-for-nintendo-sw...

You can also buy on eBay

fighting_game_player

I've got a questions that seems to fit this thread. I'm considering buying Skyward Sword HD when it releases. However. I have a budget when it comes to games and Skyward Sword HD's asking pricing is non surprising $60.00. There are other games I'd like to buy that aren't that expensive but I need to know something before I decide on postponing my purchase of Skyward Sword HD. Is this game a limited edition?

Will this game be out for a limited time or is it a regular release? If it's a limited edition game (similar to Super Mario All Stars 2) then I can't afford (literally and figuratively) to miss out on it. If anyone knows for sure then I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

"as I roll along I begin to find.. things aren't always just what they seem.."

Twitter:

Zeldafan79

Anybody else only mildly curious to try the button controls but still planning on probably playing as normal? Unless i try the buttons and go wow this is so much more responsive and how it should have been! Something tells me the sword fights like on those shield moblins or where you gotta slash at certain angles during boss fights is going to be really awkward with the analog stick.

The only thing that really gave me trouble was bomb rolling. I kept throwing them up in the air instead of rolling and that got super annoying. Oh and don't get me started on the skydiving mini game or the balancing pumkins at the lumpy pumkin. Oh the vulgarities i spewed!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Eel

On the contrary, since the analog stick has a limited range of motion, it will probably be a lot faster to ready and aim your sword with the stick.

Now that I think about it… This will be one of those rare games where the right analogue stick is actually part of the gameplay. It’s gonna be an interesting experience.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

jedgamesguy

Zeldafan79 wrote:

Anybody else only mildly curious to try the button controls but still planning on probably playing as normal? Unless i try the buttons and go wow this is so much more responsive and how it should have been! Something tells me the sword fights like on those shield moblins or where you gotta slash at certain angles during boss fights is going to be really awkward with the analog stick.

The only thing that really gave me trouble was bomb rolling. I kept throwing them up in the air instead of rolling and that got super annoying. Oh and don't get me started on the skydiving mini game or the balancing pumpkins at the lumpy pumpkin. Oh the vulgarities i spewed!

My thoughts to the word. I wanna see if it works organically, and if it does I'll have more reason to play the game like that, but if it doesn't work for me I'll just use the Joy-Cons.

Besides, if what @JonComms said is true on the recent Skyward Sword video, people'll be more willing to play with Joy-Cons because of the easier camera control, now that in that mode at least it's been mapped to the right control stick.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic