Forums

Topic: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Posts 121 to 140 of 525

Haru17

We know its a turn-based RPG without much story but with some contextual events in the world.

Is is so difficult to write a single post without insulting the person you're replying to twice?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

OorWullie

Nintendo are not going to release a "bad" Mario game and risk tarnishing his name just a couple of months before the big one arrives.That fact alone gives me confidence the game will be at least "good".

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Octane

Nicolaison wrote:

It's true that it proves that she has some inside information, and isn't pulling this out of her butt.

I don't know, I find the comparison between this game and faeces rather fitting

On a side note, yes, Rabbids are generic and stupid, and I don't get the appeal. They're not changing that for this game. And to the people that are saying Nintendo won't ever release a bad Mario game.. Take a look at the most recent entries in the Paper Mario series.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@OorWullie I totally get what you are saying however, there have been more than a few average/bad Mario games in recent years though, of which I bought two of them:

Mario & Sonic at The 2016 Rio Olympic Games was average, Mario Party 10 was the worse one yet and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash was pretty bad (and very barebones too). On the 3DS, Mario Party: Island Tour was mostly terrible and the new Mario Party: Star Tour somehow manages to be even more forgettable.

There's a chance that the game could be bad, average, good or brilliant. It all depends on just how much love and care is being poured into it. Personally speaking, it looks relatively unique enough for it to be worth drumming up some enthusiasm for. I'm as curious as anybody in this thread!

And besides, E3 is only a few weeks away - let's hope we get to see a good game lurking somewhere.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

@Peek-a-boo I'm honestly going to need the possibility that Mario + Rabbids could be 'excellent' explained to me. I thought it was pretty clear once it was revealed that it featured rabbids that are not characters, turn-based combat without a plot attached, and multiplayer that only goes up to two players despite there being 8 party members; that this game was never going to be 'great.' I could see it being alright, but what possibly makes us talk about this game a couple years down the line?

Edited on by Haru17

Peek-a-boo

@Haru17 Every single game ever released can either be bad, average, good or brilliant.

It's not necessarily an opinion; just that a game can be any one of those four things!

I am simply keeping an open mind about the game despite acknowledging that the vast majority of posts in this thread are leaning more towards the lukewarm end of the spectrum, rather than feeling hopeful and optimistic.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

@Peek-a-boo Sooo, you don't know how it could possibly be great? Same here.

OorWullie

@Peek-a-boo You're right,there has been a few poor/average Mario games over the years and like you I had the misfortune of paying for some of them.I should have went a bit further with my comment.Nintendo and even more so Ubisoft have both put out a few bad games over the years but this is a first time collaboration between 2 of the giants.I'm sure the Ubisoft devs and the company itself is thrilled at the chance to work on a Mario game and have put a strong team on it.They wont wan't to be known as that company that made that bad Mario game,Hotel Mario is still mentioned today.Plus they want Nintendo to succeed,their support of previous systems proves that.They made a good effort with Zombi U,what turned out to be their only Wii U exclusive and from what we know of their upcoming Switch releases,this will be their big exclusive on Switch and its success or failure may determine whether they continue to support it or not.For Nintendo,this is not a common thing for them to do.It's a big title using their key IP made by another company for their brand new console.I'm confident together they'll ensure it turns out to be a good game.

Of course,if I mention Mario v Sonic all my reasoning falls apart so I guess we'll just have to wait and see

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo I don't think we are allowed to be cautiously optimistic...what a surprise on the internet eh?

I have a feeling our opinions of this game as time goes on will be the same.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

@Tsurii lol really? The concept of the switch itself, the Mario Kart port, and even this? She's gotten plenty right to give her credit. Not so say she's gotten everything right. Splatoon isn't a port and miiverse isn't back. But even if this was the only thing she got right, don't you think that's still a pretty good indication? Like I said, she can have video evidence of everything she says and people would still say she has no validity. It's weird how strongly people push back against legitimate leakers.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Maxz

So if I had to guess, I'd predict the game is going to have some sizeable drawbacks that stop it from being considered brilliant, based on what we know. Similarly, if someone asks me on a sunny day what the weather will be like tomorrow, I would probably look up at the sky and say, "sunny", based on what I know about the weather in that moment. But in neither case do I really know a whole lot (unless I've seen the weather forecast or work at Ubisoft or something).

I have opinions on everything, inevitably. Brains do that; they think things - they can't help it. But I try to an eye on how much of that of opinion of based on actual knowledge/experience, and how much is based on my own extrapolation. For this game, we have seen one screenshot of actual gameplay. One screenshot.

I still have opinions based on that one screenshot and accompanying slides, but the vast majority of what informs those opinions is just tenuous extrapolation that went on inside my head. It therefore can't be used as a very solid basis for a discussion. Discussions only function if there is a common frame of reference that all sides can agree on, and the more they divulge into people just saying whatever reactions their brain has spewed up, the more divorced from reality they become, and the more the discussion disintegrates. As a reminder, the frame of reference in this case is currently wafer thin; one screenshot and a couple of PowerPoint slides.

I'm allowed to think the game will be flawed. What I can't reasonably do is expect that prediction to count as a solid basis for any conclusions thrown about in a public space.

Haru17 wrote:

I think we're glazing over how M+R:KB has a good chance to be the worst received first-party Switch game this year.

What we're glazing over is the entire game, barring a single screenshot.

I could say, "Check out my awesome, fully-formed opinion of this game based on one screen and some slides", but I think the forum could be spared my overarching hot-takes in favour of thoughts on things we actually know.

Admittedly, those thoughts don't currently amount to much more than, "Eww, Rabbids", but still.

Getting past the aesthetics though, it seems the game could be an RPG of almost any quality. The existence of Rabbids is A Bad Thing in my eyes, but not strong enough alone to condemn the game to inescapable inferiority.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

NEStalgia

The simple fact that this is a totally weird, off the wall, non-Nintendo Nintendo game, makes me think that whether it's critically reviewed well or not, it's going to become a cult classic talked about for the next 4 console generations. One of those unappreciated gems that will be erased from memory and NL will be filled with comments every year starting with E3 2025 "Where's the Rabids sequel, Nintendo!? Another IP you abandoned!!1"

@Operative2-0 Even a broken clock is right twice a day. The Switch reveal was the moment of truth for which leakers had serious inside info, and which were gleaning bits from rumblings in their circles where that information was leaking and then patching in the dotted line with bubblegum and duct tape. LKD was revealed as one of the later. MD wasn't even that. The only real winner of the leaker pool was Emily. She was clearly the only one of the bunch with direct, real information coming in from real sources. The others, including LKD, I'm presuming were hearing snippets second hand and making guesstimates as to the details.

Not that winning a prize for the most well connected source of wrongfully leaked information is something one should pat themselves on the back for "Best smuggler of information" shouldn't really be a moment of pride for Emily......but she is the one that really was getting it right.

Laura might be right on this one, but this game has got to be the most open secret in the history of gaming, we've known about it for months and there's too many sources.

NEStalgia

Canadian_Ronin

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

I really, really hate Rabbids, and I wish they weren't going to be in the game, but maybe the gameplay will be good.

Maybe, hopefully, you can make a part with just he Mario characters and mainly ignore the Rabbids parts.

Canadian_Ronin

Nicolai

@Meowpheel I disagree. That art probably wouldn't show them side-by-side if that was the case.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

TuVictus

@NEStalgia to be frank, both Emily and Laura have proven to be reputable leakers. The reason this was such an "open secret" was because it was such an off the wall ridiculous leak by Laura or Emily, can't remember who leaked it first.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

MarcelRguez

@Operative2-0 The Switch specifications were both of them in conjuction, IIRC. M+R was Laura, I think, including the title. Before that, there was this weird leak by GameBlog listing a Yoshi + Rabbids crossover, but that died pretty fast after Laura put out more concrete info.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

dGamer

OK, TBH, I find the concept interesting. Considering it seems that Ubisoft is in charge, I'm going to be bold and predict that this will only be mentioned in passing at Nintendo's conference. Ubisoft will give us a big load out on this.

Also, I am wondering why Nintendo would allow their IP to be used by Ubisoft. Maybe Nintendo is starting to test and see if other developers can work with Mario again?

Nintendo? I'm in.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic