Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 2,230

gcunit

@SKTTR I don't know how much you pay for your individual subscription, but I'm confident my share of a family plan subscription with 5 other people (currently, potentially 7 with full uptake) is less. We each pay £5 per year. I've made up the shortfall when the numbers are down, but I've still paid less this way than if I had just gone for an individual sub.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

SKTTR

Xyphon22 wrote:

@SKTTR Because I have my own stuff and he has his own stuff (and my wife and daughter, for that matter). He doesn't want to do it on my profile. And if $15 a year (barely $1 a month) makes my kid happy, that's the greatest steal ever.

Interesting point of view.
Nice if this works out well for you.
Do you buy multiple of the same game as well so everyone can have their own?

gcunit wrote:

I don't know how much you pay for your individual subscription, but I'm confident my share of a family plan subscription with 5 other people (currently, potentially 7 with full uptake) is less. We each pay £5 per year. I've made up the shortfall when the numbers are down, but I've still paid less this way than if I had just gone for an individual sub.

Neat. A bit of work but each to their own. Personally, I don't feel it's a safe environment if someone else is managing the online stuff I paid for.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

skywake

SKTTR wrote:

Why pay more when everyone can play online through the main account? Is it only useful if you have multiple Switch consoles at home?

On my plan I have myself, my sister, my niece and my niece's partner. We all live in different houses, we all have our own Switch.

I also share other accounts amongst family so NSO is no different. I pay for NSO and Disney+, I don't pay for Netflix, Spotify or Kayo (sports)

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Zyph

I'm already paying the full $35 a year for most of the members of my family plan. All things considered what's $35 a year, right? For me, sure that's fine. But blowing it up to $80, I mean c'mon man! I wouldn't mind if at least some of the members would chip in but if you look at the individual plan....uggh. Not being a cheapskate but if that's the price I would like to see more than what is being offered. Sure it's not easy nor cheap to "re-develop/emulate" these retro games or even get their licenses but I can't really rely on nostalgia this time to justify the price.

If only they would somehow assure us that it's NOT ONLY the Animal Crossing DLC and there are more free DLC to come via this new pack then I might rethink it. But right now I'd rather not play N64 or Genesis games on Switch.

Edited on by Zyph

Zyph

My Nintendo: Valtorb | Nintendo Network ID: Xypher

Eel

@Zyph if you have other adults in your group, simply propose to them that to upgrade, you’d need them to contribute the extra money. You keep paying the base service as usual, and let them choose if they want to upgrade.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Zyph

@Eel 2 of them are working adults and the 5 are my brother's kids. Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now. Since the 2 are kinda leeching off of me on the subscription for 3 years now I guess the time to collect is due 🤣 That includes making my brother pay up for his kids' sub 😂

Edited on by Zyph

Zyph

My Nintendo: Valtorb | Nintendo Network ID: Xypher

Clyde_Radcliffe

@Xyphon22 I hear you. I'm massively excited for N64 NSO as I haven't played most of these games since the 90s and many of them that are coming I've never played at all (Paper Mario, Kirby 64, Sin and Punishment, Dr Mario 64, Pokemon Snap) I don't intend to play these games for years on end as I'll be playing newer games, but for now I'm gonna get so much out of this service that I won't even buy any other Switch games for the rest of the year. For me it's great and I'm especially excited to play Yoshi's Story on the move! Think it will be great in handheld just like Yoshi's Island GBA.

Also the existing Mega Drive Collection on Switch is pretty bad thanks to button input lag, dead online and a horrible menu system that makes it so tedious just to change your games. Personally will play the Mega Drive a lot more through NSO and again have never played games like Musha, Ecco The Dolphin and Gunstar Heroes.

Add in the NES/SNES games, online play on regular Switch games, plus the Animal Crossing DLC and I really don't think it's bad value for money for the price of a cup of coffee a month. There are legitimate criticisms like lack of proper voice chat and integrated invite system etc, plus I get why some gamers who want to keep the games forever preferred the virtual console system, but really don't think it's bad value for money whatsoever. As I said, it's about the same price as a cup of coffee a month, come on now...

If the argument is "but you can emulate them for free" That's a bit like saying "Why should I have to pay for my groceries when I can just steal them for free?"

Edited on by Clyde_Radcliffe

Clyde_Radcliffe

MPSSislit

I’m going to repost what I posted here a couple of weeks ago, as I didn’t get many responses back.

Ninjalaislit wrote:

So, there were a couple of things that I’ve been curious about ever since the N64/Genesis NSO apps got announced.

1. First, do you guys think they’ll run the new NPLN infrastructure, or do you think it’ll still run the old NEX infrastructure? 🤔

• I hope it’s the new infrastructure, and if that’s why it took so long for them to arrive on NSO, then I totally get it. (I also think that the pandemic pushed back their plans a bit as well). Also, when do you guys think that Nintendo (and third parties) will start using the NPLN infrastructure on a consistent basis?

2. Second, do we know if M2 is working on the Genesis NSO app, or if it’s someone else who’s working on it? I’m asking because if it’s M2, then that would explain why they stopped working on the SEGA AGES line, as they would have been working on the Genesis NSO app. 🤔

Another question, that I have thought since that post is:
1. If I end up getting the Individual Member for the NSO Expansion Pack, will other users on the same Switch have access to the New Horizons HHP DLC, or would I need to buy the Family Membership for all of them to access it? 🤔

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Bass_X0

@GameOtaku Actually, I find the NSO to be cheap. I used to often pay over $50 a year every year for Virtual Console games on Wii and Wii U back in the day. I only stopped when they stopped releasing VC games.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

JaxonH

It depends on how much of what's being offered is of value to you. For some it'll seem a good deal, for others, it'll seem overpriced.

Personally, I think it's too high. I'm not sure I'd pay the individual membership if it was my only option. Probably just stick with base membership for online and cloud saves and NES/SNES.

Thankfully, they gave us an out with the family plan, which is an outrageously good deal. I joined @Eel who was running a family plan group, and within days we'd recruited enough ppl to max out at 8. So my cut is $10 per yr (technically $12 since he's in Mexico and the conversion rate from USD is slightly unfavorable) but ya. I couldn't be happier. I'm paying half the price I was paying before, and getting twice the value in return.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

Hopefully they won’t take too long to enable the plan upgrade option. I’d love to be able to download the N64 app before leaving the hotel in the morning.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NintendoByNature

It stinks, I really want to play some OoT again, and on switch. But, not at the price. I have a family plan with My daughter, but im not going do the family plan and fork out that cash.

NintendoByNature

GameOtaku

@Bass_X0
But not everyone plays online. Why lock them behind a paywall when you aren’t going to use the service? Besides picking and choosing your own library of games sounds far better than relying on a third party to pick for you.

GameOtaku

Xyphon22

The most expensive option available, paying for a family plan entirely by yourself, is less than 22 cents per day. I think people are going a little overboard on how expensive this is simply because they predicted it would be cheaper.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Matt_Barber

I don't think it's so much about whether the price is affordable as what you're getting for it. Nintendo have around a dozen legacy systems that the Switch could presumably emulate with hundreds of games between them - even if you just count first party ones that should have no licensing issues - but they're only dribbling them out at a meagre rate.

Compared to what you can have for a not dissimilar fee with Sony and Microsoft's online and subscription services, it seems a rather thin offering. While I'll be subscribing, because it hits the spot to me, I can still appreciate why there's been so much pushback on it.

That's not to say that Nintendo necessarily have to be competitive against them. They exist in their own weird bubble outside the rest of the mainstream games industry so can pretty much do their own thing. Just for once though, I'd like to see them embrace the bigger picture on this.

Matt_Barber

skywake

GameOtaku wrote:

But not everyone plays online. Why lock them behind a paywall when you aren’t going to use the service? Besides picking and choosing your own library of games sounds far better than relying on a third party to pick for you.

Then spend your money on the Wii VC instead. If you think that's a better value it still exists. I remember the thread years ago where you kept going on and on and on about SNES games being "locked" behind the New 3DS. Franky I don't have much sympathy for your stance

TBH, kinda tired of the NSO "value" whine coming from some circles. But at this stage I think Nintendo should probably just fold to the whine. Just make individual N64 games available for purchase. Purely because the "I want to own it", "I want to curate my library" and "I don't want it locked behind NSO" crowds are apparently more than happy to spend more on games one at a time. So let Nintendo extract money out of the suckers who for whatever reason think the VC was better value

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

gcunit

@NintendoByNature I have 2 spaces in the family group I've been running since NSO inception. Happy to add your two accounts for £10 each if you'd like.

gcunit

@Ninjalaislit Can't answer your two original questions, but to your latest question, if you buy the DLC separately then it will work like any other software on your Switch when it comes to sharing it with others, but if are using the NSO membership expansion to access the DLC then only those users accounts that are signed up to the NSO expansion will be able to access it.

JaxonH

gcunit wrote:

@NintendoByNature I have 2 spaces in the family group I've been running since NSO inception. Happy to add your two accounts for £10 each if you'd like.

Boom. Look at that. Deals falling out of the sky into peoples’ laps lol.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic