Forums

Topic: Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door!!!!!!!

Posts 121 to 140 of 275

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Yep. My experience with the game convinced me to not go back and try Sticker Star unless I find the game dirt cheap somewhere. I've been told it's a slightly worse version of CS. What stinks is that CS is a genuinely decent game, but the battle system is a major detriment. Can't say I was too fond of TOK's puzzle wheel either, but at least it was an improvement.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx interesting you didn't like TOKs battle system. I thought it was really engaging. Sticker star is just fine honestly. It's not going to blow your mind, but its a good time. I think I bought a used copy for like $18 or $20 a few years ago.

NintendoByNature

Eel

Sticker Star was part of my “doomsday shopping spree” buys before the eShop closed. The story is simple, and it doesn’t pretend to be deep or anything. Combat is straightforward, and you’re pretty likely to have a surplus of stickers, so running out of them is not usually a problem.

The level-based structure is a bit of a double edged sword, it’s true it feels less like a connected world, but it also simplifies travel in a game where backtracking and retrying levels is part of the gameplay loop.

So, within a vacuum, not expecting it to be a complex narrative driven turn-based rpg with heavy emotional moments… it’s simply a funny little game you play on short spurts.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

@Tyranexx
Ya, the battle system if The Origami King was OK. Yhe bosses were incredible. Normal battles though... they got old after a while.

With stickers and then color cards, a wheel... We've been long overdue for a return to form with the classic battle system.

It's absolutely incredible to think we're gonna have

• Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
  • Mario RPG Remake
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Mario + Rabbids Spark of Hope

All on one system. HD. Hybrid. And handheld tabletop with removable controllers. Like... if you'd told me such a thing 10 years ago right after Wii U launched I'd have lost my mind.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature, @JaxonH TOK's battle system got old for me after a few hours. I like puzzles in games - most users here know I'm a HUGE Zelda fan lol - but I think countless variations of the same thing wore thin after awhile in my case. Most of the boss fights changed things up nicely, though I'll admit the Fire Vellumental fight almost made me drop the game since the instructions weren't clear. I did beat TOK but then sold it to a coworker since her daughter expressed interest in the game. TOK was a decent game as well, slightly better than CS overall, but not one I think I'll revisit again.

I'm not against Nintendo experimenting. It worked out well with Super Paper Mario, my favorite "Paper" game to date. However, since we haven't heard a peep out of the M&L series ever since AlphaDream shuttered, I would like an original Mario-centric turn-based RPG to surface. I hope the positive reception to both the TTYD and Super Mario RPG on Switch shows that there's indeed room for more traditional RPG combat.

I'm glad TTYD will be a return to form. I've always wanted to play it and am glad it's coming to Switch. Even at full price, it beats hunting down an overpriced used copy of the GameCube original. Besides this game, the only others I haven't played in the Paper subseries are SS (mentioned above; I think the $10-$20 range is my sweet spot for this one) and the original N64 game (I do own this on the Wii U VC, just haven't played it yet).

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

OctolingKing13

On a few “top 100 Hardest bosses in video gaming” lists, and few Paper Mario TTYD Bosses are listed, including the Shadow Queen. How difficult are the bosses actually, and has there been confirmation they will be the same difficulty level? Just curious, since I’ve never played the GameCube original, thinking of getting the new one 🙂

Taylor from Blank Space was my old pfp if anyone gets confused. this is tay from he latest album
I LOVE OCTO SHOT REPLICA
cats are the best

Atariboy

Never did get around to playing this on the GameCube. Is this going to be a remake or a HD remaster?

If it's the former, maybe it's about time that I take the shrinkwrap off the GameCube original. But if it's a HD remaster, maybe I'll just grab it on Switch and play it there.

Atariboy

Eel

@Atariboy a little bit of both, it’s clearly remade from the ground up, but it doesn’t look like it’ll have any significant differences in terms of content or gameplay.

Think, like… Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, or Super Mario RPG, and Mario vs DK.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Joeynator3000

I do hope the game will have some new stuff in there...we need Glitz Pit post-game content. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Eel

I enjoyed most of the game, but disliked the platformer-style combat.

It annoyed me so bad, that I completely lost interest right around the final stretch of the game (where there’s several boss battles), and never finished it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Joeynator3000

TTYD is my #1 favorite, but Super is 2nd for me...then, I dunno...first game I guess? I only played it once, eh...

Sticker Star I'm not ranking, lol
never played the other two

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

DanijoEX-the-Pierrot

@Joeynator3000 Honestly, Super Paper Mario was the ONLY Paper Mario game I've ever completed. But after that...? I've just...stopped playing. Then I eventually sold it.

The game is great. The writing & humor is good. The visuals are decent as it is. But it just...lacks something. Like depth? I dunno. Been years since 2007 since I've first bought on my 17th birthday.

I sell my famous Chesapeake Tupperware.
I ACCEPT NO DEBIT CARDS!
DO YOU HEAR ME!?!

Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I adore Super Paper Mario but I'm not sure how well it holds up. In a weird way it feels like a preview of the crazier, more meta ideas indie games would come up with more than a traditional Mario RPG or any Nintendo game for that matter and I feel like that made it work more than the actual gameplay at times.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm really expecting to go back to it someday and realize I could just be playing an actual Mario platformer or an actual Mario RPG instead of this one that's not as good at either. My opinion of it has probably also stayed extremely positive when Mario RPGs then started going downhill and the platformers were so lacking in innovation that I'd take the game with worse gameplay either way. 2012 was a bad year for Mario btw, so glad we're past that.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

FishyS

I would be so happy if Super Paper Mario came to Switch. TTYD I've played before but never actually owned and didn't play the full thing... I have memories of it but I'm not super excited for the game. Super Paper Mario though I just loved. Love the art style combined with not-turn-based.

@NeonPizza I think I thought the Wii-remote Flip-world mechanic was cool at the time but I'd also love a modernized version with just a normal button press. 😆 Most of the Wii control gimmicks were like that ... I liked them at the time but I'm over them now except for the rare situations where motion control is truly useful rather than just a gimmick (exercise games, aiming in some games).

@kkslider5552000 Are we really past 2012? 😝 New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is the 10th best selling game on Switch.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Grumblevolcano

@Joeynator3000 I could see them maybe having a bonus adventure which allows you to experience Paper Luigi's adventures in the Waffle Kingdom. Kind of like what happened with Return to Dream Land Deluxe, the extra content naturally flows from some dialogue in the original game.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GalaxicGlobe

I caved and started playing Paper Mario TOK lol.
Controversial but I would like Paper Mario CS and SS to come to switch In a 2 pack, maybe even include Paper Mario 64 or Super if you want.

Space and Games are similar. Space is endless and new stuff is out there waiting to be discovered. Games are always being made but the creativity is different from one game to another and so many more ideas still haven't been imagined or created yet. (That came out better than expected lol)

Switch Friend Code: SW-1116-1320-6156

ElRoberico

FishyS wrote:

@kkslider5552000 Are we really past 2012? 😝 New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is the 10th best selling game on Switch.

Not even Luigi can stop the ghost of 2012 in Nintendo's mansion.

Currently playing: Marvel's Spider-Man

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

kkslider5552000

FishyS wrote:

Yeah, NSMBU Deluxe is a good example that a lot of people don't care about what the internet thinks, even when the internet is factually correct like in this case.

Though also, I know its not 2012 because the console its currently on is successful :V

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

ElRoberico

I honestly think that if NSMBUD didn't do well, there wouldn't have been Wonder. That game selling well proved there was a market for 2D Mario. I also think it almost always being a sale title helped too. It's pretty meh as a full-price game, but at a discount, sure I'll pick it up.

Currently playing: Marvel's Spider-Man

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic