Forums

Topic: What if: Nintendo will introduce a "new" piece of hardware in 2022.

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

Magician

It'll be the Nintendo Switch Lite OLED all-digital.

I mean, Sony and MS have digital-only consoles, why not Nintendo as well?

Discuss.

Edited on by Eel

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

No, it'll be the Switch Lite OLED extra storage edition ..... lol

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

@Magician
But you already knew if Digital only machines will be fated like PSP Go, being unplayable in the future 10 - 20 years from now when Switch eshop get closed.
Digital only machines = really disaster idea.

Anti-Matter

Luigi05

Guess they can't make a New Nintendo Switch XL, otherwise current joy-cons wouldn't be compatible.

Your first anything is important; a memory you don't want to forget. That's what makes nostalgia such a fascinating concept. That's why many people enjoy games that have aged well.

Madao

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did release a digital only console just to test the waters. Even on Switch a huge part of the sales are digital. Plus Nintendo releasing dumbed down versions of their consoles close to the end of their lifecycle is nothing new.

Edited on by Madao

Madao

StuTwo

I'd rather see the "Switch Micro" - roughly DS Lite sized or slightly smaller (clamshell design too). LCD screen not OLED and still with a cart slot.

More generally I really do think that there is a major niche in the market for a cheap (< £80), very portable "GameBoy-like" console that is just not being served. It's why you see all of those garbage "retro-games" handhelds at Christmas. The NES and SNES Classic editions were also pitching into vaguely similar territory and the collectable Game & Watch handhelds were also treading similar ground.

Aside from being physically too big, the Switch Lite is about 2-3 times the price to satisfy that niche.

I'd like to see something that's literally a Switch under the shell, although Nintendo might want to do some more radical things to it to make it feel like a distinct console (like completely removing analogue sticks and having a distinct e-shop where only games designed and tested for a smaller screen and no analogue sticks can be listed).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

JaxonH

Idk if they’d go digital only (maybe next gen they’ll offer a model like that) but I could see an a OLED Lite. Maybe. They seem pretty happy with their three pricing tiers, and I’m not sure if they’d want to throw a fourth into the mix. Plus the screens they’re sourcing may only be 7”. We don’t really know if smaller sizes are available at the prices they want due to oversupply.

I’d love to see it though. I’d snap one up in a heartbeat.

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Magician
But you already knew if Digital only machines will be fated like PSP Go, being unplayable in the future 10 - 20 years from now when Switch eshop get closed.
Digital only machines = really disaster idea.

That’s not true, for a number of reasons.

• The store has nothing to do with your games, which will not suddenly disappear- they stay downloaded forever
  • Just because games are desisted, doesn’t mean you can’t still redownload purchased games
  • Who says the eShop will be closed in 20 years anyways? It’s been 15 and you can still redownload games from the WiiShop, and that was an experimental digital store that was never planned to stay open indefinitely. If even Wii games can be redownloaded 2 decades later, Switch games will likely still be available for redownload when you’re old and toothless, and have no desire to play them anymore as everything’s been ported to Switch 5 or running on emulators on your toaster.
  • Digital only machines are the future, regardless of your personal preferences

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

It all comes down to servers and authentication. If you go all-digital and also require authentication through an internet connection, yea, that would be pretty much the worst-case scenario and all your games would be useless if/when the eShop would ever shut down for good. Then you would truly just have a decorative console lol

But I'm not really aware of any companies that do that, although I remember when Microsoft initially blocked you from your free games from Gold if you unsubbed. I think they've since changed that stance. Steam also requires a bit of pre-planning if you want to play your games offline, but it's not too difficult or time consuming.

If they would go all-digital, they would probably just let you download the full games and they would be on your system/card forever. Barring data corruption, of course lol I'd still prefer to have physical discs/cartridges as long as the actual data is on them.

rallydefault

sixrings

As someone who plays maybe 10% portable I’ll route for a Nintendo tv. Same specs just super small and tv only.

sixrings

NinChocolate

Asian market-aimed mini Switch will be shown this year, released the next. Switch successor/next-Gen released 2024.

NinChocolate

Fizza

I would just like to pop in and say that, considering how Nintendo are so laser focused (at the moment at least) on different ways to play rather than pushing the bar for power coupled with the fact the Switch itself only has 32GB of internal storage (64GB on the OLED), I would be SHOCKED to see an all digital Switch. At least, without getting rid of at least the handheld aspect (kind of like an inverse Lite).

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Matt_Barber

The Series S dovetails quite nicely with Game Pass and the PS5 DE with PS+ and PS Now. There's little reason to buy games at all when you can just subscribe to gain access to an instant collection.

Until Nintendo are capable of coming up with a comparable offering though, I'd think it best that they stay well alone from download/streaming-only consoles.

Matt_Barber

Sisilly_G

An all-digital Switch makes absolutely zero sense considering how cheap card readers would be to manufacture, similar to how some have been clamouring for a dock-free Switch, as that too is an extremely cheap piece of plastic (plus cables) that would cost Nintendo next to nothing to make (despite the laughably absurd mark-up for the dock when sold on its own).

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

RandomNPC

sixrings wrote:

As someone who plays maybe 10% portable I’ll route for a Nintendo tv. Same specs just super small and tv only.

I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't release this alongside the Lite, a tiny TV only console with a Dwitch card reader and bundled with the Pro controller. Without the cost of the screen they could also undercut the Series S on price!

RandomNPC

StuTwo

@RandomNPC I can see why they wouldn't do it at this particular moment (with the chip shortage) but I've always thought it's an idea who's time will eventually come.

Without the battery and screen it's a "micro-console" that could (wouldn't!) be sold for less than £100 or for £150 with a game bundled in. At that point it becomes the Ouya or PSTV done right.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

skywake

I've shared my thoughts on a lot of these ideas on other threads but I guess I can repeat on this thread. I don't think a digital only Switch makes any sense. As others have said the cost of adding a cartridge slot is trivial compared to an optical drive. There is also no additional power consumption concerns for the non-digital-only SKU unlike the PSP

A portable only SKU obviously makes sense given it exists. Not only does it allow them to drop the dock it also allows them to make a smaller device with a smaller screen, smaller battery and smaller cooling solution (given it's never docked). Although to be clear, removing the ability to dock isn't the thing that makes the Switch Lite cheaper, that's mostly just done to artificially maintain the value of the regular Switch and create an upgrade path

A TV only Switch? Nvidia sells these already. It could make sense as another budget SKU:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/shield/shield-tv/

But in this current climate a TV only Switch doesn't make that much sense. Nintendo's issue currently isn't a lack of OLED/LCD panels, Batteries or demand. Nintendo's issue is mostly limits on their ability to get Nvidia's SoCs. Nintendo would probably prefer to make more of the higher margin SKUs that have a wider appeal

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Hylian1234

Unless it is an OLED lite model for 249 i doubt it.

1) Switch is losing momentum, they will use all of their resorces for software this year.

2) Scarcity of parts and man power with a 4th wave incoming

3) There is a thing called saturation. Re-releasing skus stop working quite quickly.

Hylian1234

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic