Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,049

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

Do we actually know that for sure?

I'll be a bit disappointed if they don't join the underground area onto the main monastery. They should just have it so you can do it as a side-quest during the main game.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

Aha, excellent. I'll definitely slow down my playthrough so I can incorporate the DLC then.

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal I wonder when in the main game you'd be able to access the underground. Like I'd imagine you'd need to progress a certain amount in the main game before it's accessible, not just the completion of Chapter 1 of the side story. Maybe after completing the quest from Anna about Abyss?

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Started a save file for Cindered Shadows. Got to the first battle and shut it off, cause it’s late.

I’d be interested to hear opinions from others who have played it further though.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Dezzy

Can someone find out how many battle stages there are in the new story DLC? I've seen it claimed that it lasts about 10 hours in total. So that could be like 10 maps in total, or it could just be 4 or 5 maps really drawn out.

Dezzy

Ok so I've answered my own question, in case anyone else is interested, and the results are incredibly disappointing.
There are 6 different maps in the Cindered Shadows DLC. But 4 of them are incredibly lazy clones of maps from the main game. In fact I think that 5th level is just literally the same map that's used in the main game on that first chapter where the Death Knight appears.
Only one of these looks vaguely interesting to me (the 3rd one), so I'm gonna definitely be giving this DLC a miss. Maybe reconsider if it comes down to half price or something like that.

Untitled

JaxonH

Maps look fine. Nothing spectacular, but not lacking either.

Nothing will ever compare with FE Fates Conquest for maps. That game was stacked to the hilt with the best maps I’ve ever seen. And that’s why I love that game so much. I don’t even care about the story when the gameplay was so dang good.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

Bummer. Glad I hesitated on the DLC. I just don't think there's enough in it for me to justify the money.

rallydefault

Dezzy

@JaxonH

How is it not lacking? The season pass costs half the price of the main game, but it clearly doesn't have anywhere near half the amount of new content. It's probably less than a quarter the amount of content to be honest.

Yeah I agree on Conquest. Conquest and Awakening I think are the 2 games with the best maps.

darkfenrir

I don't know... I listened to a friend of mine said he spent 4 hours on a map because how hard it is. On normal too I think :v

So I'm glad I skipped this because of how hard it is lol

darkfenrir

JaxonH

@Dezzy
How is it not lacking? The season pass costs half the price of the main game, but it clearly doesn't have anywhere near half the amount of new content

My statement said nothing of price or value. Wasn't talking about value, wasn't referencing value, wasnt making any comment whatsoever about value.

I was giving my opinion on the quality of map design. Which is why I said "the maps" and not "the DLC as a whole in comparison with MSRP".

But since we're somehow now on that topic, the DLC is 7 additional long chapters with it's own enclosed storyline, characters and maps. That's $15-20 alone. Easy. And with reports of a healthy difficulty curve unlike the main game, it'll be a good 10 hours for me all day. Accounting for all the other content, activities, outfits, paralogs, recruits, support convos, and updates accompanying the 4 waves (including the new difficulty) I'd say that's also not lacking. Especially given the $50 season pass (double the price) of Echoes which shamefully included less meaningful content.

This is the best value DLC we've ever gotten for a Fire Emblem game, though I'd still argue Fates DLC maps were top tier, and as such I would value more per map just due to sheer quality of design. I miss the gold and XP maps. Used to grind the heck out of those. Most played maps ever in Awakening at least.

Dezzy

@JaxonH

I don't understand how you can evaluate the quality of something without taking into account the price though.
If I'm paying $5 for the whole DLC, I'm obviously going to expect and understand that they might reuse some of the assets from the main game, like they've done here. So I'll judge it relative to that expectation.
But if I'm paying $25, I'm pretty much expecting this to be all completely original material. Which is why I'm disappointed that it isn't. I don't see how you could divorce that from price.

JaxonH

@Dezzy Quite easily, actually. How fun are they and how good are they compared to past ones (aka how close do they come to meeting my expectations of well designed maps).

See? Easy as 1-2-3. Neither depend on how much was paid.

I work in Quality. And the quality of the parts we make have nothing to do with price. That's a separate aspect. Quality, Cost, Delivery... all separate aspects. Now, theres nothing wrong with accounting for one or more simultaneously, but by no means is it a requirement. You can look at any individual aspect you want, and the quality of our parts is independent of price. Either they're free of defects and meet customer requirements or they don't, and that's always irrespective of cost.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

Well to make the most of the expansion pass, it's not just beating the side story but to do a main game playthrough after having completed the side story as completing the side story unlocks main game stuff.

Grumblevolcano

alpacatears

I just completed the side story last night. I definitely did enjoy it even though it was a bit on the short side. I thought the mechanics of winning on each map were pretty varied and it definitely had more challenge than the main game and I had to be very liberal with my divine pules in the first one or two turns of some of the maps.
I was a tiny bit annoyed with your characters being so locked into specific classes but in hindsight, it got me thinking outside the box of my usual play style.

I'm also in the middle of a Golden Deer playthrough so it'll be interesting to see what additions to the main game that it brings to the table.
Overall I do think that I'm happy with my choice to buy the DLC. It gave me something to look forward to and it also got me back in the mood to start playing it again. I hope others have been enjoying it too

alpacatears

Heavyarms55

I'm getting into the DLC and I have to say it's a lot harder than the main game. On normal I basically never had to retry a map more than once. And I am on like my 7th attempt on just the second chapter of the side story. Maybe I should actually use the divine pulse thing? I never used that in the main game and don't even know how it works to be honest.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Dezzy

I haven't played any FE game on Normal difficulty for years. Most of them are a lot more fun on Hard.

NotTelevision

I decided to take a break for a little bit. I’m on Chapter 18 or 19(Enbarr Infiltration) playing Black Eagles on Hard/Classic. There are so many strong enemy units that even when I managed to rush kill the Death Knight, the birds and armored infantry kill half my house. Plus there is (don’t want to include a spoiler) another strong Commander hanging out in the back and artillery spammers everywhere.

Any pointers on completing this map?

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

I finished the side story last night. Gotta say I really enjoyed it. Each map is varied and interesting, so even though it's not terribly long, each mission feels different. I really like the new characters introduced and returning unit types - especially the Dark Flier? What was it call, the magic using Pegasus rider. Which even though I can't remember the name is one of my favorite unit types.

My only issues with it were the lack of new cinematics or music to go along with the side story. Also some of the voice acting choices for the antagonists. Several of the bandits just sounded like little kids, and there's a scene where Balthus, I'm pretty sure, is supposed to be really angry and sounds no more annoyed than if he dropped his fork at lunch...

Oh, and minor nitpick, the second battle of the side story is far harder than any other in the route, I don't really understand that. Maybe there was something I was missing, but it really kicked my butt.

Still, I had a lot of fun with it and consider it, with the other goodies from the DLC to be a pretty good deal.

Does anyone know if you have to beat the side story every time you start a new game, to have access to Abyss, or if once it's unlocked, it's unlocked?

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic