Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 401 to 420 of 705

komodo182

@BruceCM Nice. I was trying it with ( instead of ].
Thanks

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

BruceCM

Cool.... In part after going to the World Tree

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

AndyD

Still on the fence on picking up DQXI. Was looking at the eshop sales for the FF games, but I am not sure if I would enjoy DQ or FF more...

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Ralizah

@scubydo Have you played the demo? It basically covers the first 6 - 10 hours of the game.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Eel

Yes it took me a good 7 hours to reach the end of the demo, and you can just continue that same file if you do buy the game.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

komodo182

@scubydo I found it was a fairly boring start, but it got way better.

AndyD

komodo182 wrote:

@scubydo I found it was a fairly boring start, but it got way better.

okay, I was wondering...I liked the demo generally speaking, but was wondering the over all game. It did seem slow to me which had me a bit worried. Thanks!

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Joe-b

@StableInvadeel 7 hours? Man you were speed running. Well, I did tons of grinding. It paid off big time. I spent 12 hours or so on the demo.. This has to be one of the best games I've ever played. I'm at almost 60 hours. It's addicting. Once you start, you want to just keep playing.

Edited on by Joe-b

Joe-b

Joe-b

@scubydo You got to give DQXI the nod...it's amazing.

Joe-b

komodo182

@scubydo TW3 is one of my all time favorite games and is much larger than dragon quest. Dragon quest was good, but no question imo, witcher was better.

BruceCM

Well, DQ games generally start slowly, @scubydo .... It builds up, especially after the demo part ended

SW-4357-9287-0699

komodo182

DQ1 is interesting so far. Not much of a plot yet and I assume it is not a very large game. It was made before I was born originally though.

BruceCM

It's pretty short, @komodo182 .... & only the basic plot. 2 is quite a bit bigger & better, introducing a party, although it's fixed 3 is quite an improvement on that, with some choices for party & everything
There seems to be an added part in DQXI S, between parts 1 & 2 in guides

SW-4357-9287-0699

Eel

Yeah once I started playing the game after the demo it started with the drama.

About DQ1, I played that one some days ago, I really liked how open it was. A nice little early jrpg.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Ralizah

Just defeated Dora and got a key that should unlock a bunch of previously blocked areas. What a creepy boss!

BruceCM

It does unlock quite a few doors, @Ralizah .... One in particular is vital Did you have any trouble with her? She's a bit of a step-up in difficulty

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ralizah

@BruceCM Not really, although that's mostly because, for whatever reason, my Zing spells kept working on the first try (whereas, with the squid boss, I tried Zing four times on the same dead character and it didn't work, which meant Veronica didn't get any experience at the end of that fight). I've heard people call this game overly easy, but I'm pretty happy with the difficulty curve. I haven't died yet, but I've been keeping my levels up, upgrading all of my equipment constantly, looking around and doing everything, etc. It feels like the game could easily stomp me if I slack off, which is the sort of motivation I need.

The story is simple, but I REALLY like the presentation and how it's handled. Things like the Michelle subplot and finding out about Jade's connection to Hero were enrapturing and very emotional.

And god, the music. I'm so glad they fixed it. It's beautiful. It's like the whole soundtrack is this wonderful classical score.

I think the smithing system is fantastic. The minigame itself is fun and requires some planning and forethought, and the way they use recipes to keep you exploring everywhere is well done. Also like how I can refine my equipment at any time. And how you can keep costumes you unlock even when you move to other pieces of armor.

Unlike DQVIII, mounts are everywhere in this game, and they're easily accessible. I've been having lots of fun playing around with them. My favorite so far is the Slime Knight. I love the bounciness!

I think I really like the change to a FFXII-esque zone based system as well, versus just having one big world map to explore.

I'm only 35 hours in, but it's dangerously close to becoming my favorite JRPG on the system.

Edited on by Ralizah

BruceCM

Yeah, if you explore properly, you shouldn't have too much difficulty, @Ralizah .... The story still has some development & stuff happening yet!

SW-4357-9287-0699

komodo182

Finished dragon quest 1 last night. Dragon quest 11 was my first dragon quest game, so yeah, a lot of differences between those two games haha

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic