Forums

Topic: Astral Chain

Posts 281 to 300 of 337

AndyD

So, question, was the Akira at the end the real one or just another clone, OR were they all clones and even the protagonist that you play a clone? Because your "birth" is always mentioned as a very mysterious thing by Jena. Almost, as if it was an experiment. Just wondering your thoughts.

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Grumblevolcano

@scubydo The database entries give more info on this, particularly Akira's entry (obtained by taking a photo of Akira) and the entries locked behind a password when at the beginning of 2 files you start the file by looking through some database articles.

The password is 1125 by the way, the twins' birthday in US date format, there's no hints towards it so I did a google search.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

RR529

Just cleared a couple of stealth sections in File 6, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

Fired up Bayonetta 2 on the Switch Lite just to see how it looks, and I got sucked in again. I had forgotten how good that game really is (and it looks downright incredible on the smaller screen of the Lite).

I know I said I think Astral Chain is my favorite P* game’s title, but after playing a quick chapter of Bayo 2 (and for the record I’ve already beaten the game back on Wii U, and the original), I’m not so sure anymore. It’s a close call. At the very least I think they’re both equally as good in their own ways. But Bayo2 is more pure. It’s just high octane P* game’s action. And I really love that about it. By the same token what I really love about Astral Chain is how it’s more than that.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

So far my ranks in this game have essentially been:
C
D
D
C
D
S
D
S
D
S+

The difference between how I did with the C and S ranks were largely negligible. ...ok

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

cryptologous

I'm seriously doubting from my playtime so far AC is gonna top Bayo 1 for me but it is still a great time and I'm loving the soundtrack. Great riffs on this thing.

cryptologous

kkslider5552000

I'll be honest, this is my 5th game from Platinum that is this type of game, and while I definitely have a favorite, I actually don't think there's a massive difference in quality in any of them. They're all pretty excellent games that unfortunately have just enough things that don't work for me that I can't declare them as one of my favorite games ever or anything like that.

So far with Astral Chain, it does feel the most awkward to get into since Wonderful 101 (but without it being my first Platinum game outside of Vanquish), but not so much that it ruins the combat. And as a bonus, it has the best non-combat sections of those 5 games. Basically, my favorite of these is Wonderful 101 and I'd give it a 9/10 and my least favorite is definitely Bayonetta 2, which I'd probably give a...9/10. shrugs

JaxonH

@Galenmereth
Or... people just have a different opinion than you and that doesnt make them "wrong" or falling victim to anything. Just because you dont understand how someone could like games differently than you doesnt mean they're idiots or bamboozled by "new and shiny".

I think Nier is the worst Platinum Game out of the group, 5th down the list, but I dont accuse anyone of anything if they happen to like it most.

People liking Astral Chain most is just as valid as you liking some other P* Game. And discrediting others opinions just because it doesnt align with your down... that doesnt jive well with me.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@kkslider5552000 Not completing all the cases reduces your overall rank (just like the verses in the Bayonetta games) and most of the files it's impossible to complete all the cases on your first playthrough.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

darkfenrir

I would say that while Nier's story is better, and that's because I love what Yoko Taro did and I have always enjoyed what he do with the stories (from Drakengard 1 & 3, and previous Nier), Astral Chain felt more joyful on gameplay. I enjoyed my playthrough more, and the side quests are also pretty fun.

So Nier A tomato's story (which carried the whole thing for me) is far above Astral's, Astral is also really good in the other parts. I'll go with Nier since the story is really good though, but Astral is close second.

darkfenrir

MarioLuigi

I skipped this game for Luigi's Mansion 3.

MarioLuigi

kkslider5552000

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Not completing all the cases reduces your overall rank (just like the verses in the Bayonetta games) and most of the files it's impossible to complete all the cases on your first playthrough.

I know, I'm talking about the individual grades for each quest (or whatever arbitrary word is used instead of quest).

RR529

Nearing the end of File 7.

On the plus side I think I'm getting better grades more consistently (& I love using the photo mode), but on the negative side I still think the platforming bits are a bit cumbersome.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

kkslider5552000

Ok I'm seriously annoyed now. I beat this boss, in a reasonable amount of time, barely getting hit, used zero items, used sync attacks often...and its still a D rank.

I dunno how this ranking system is supposed to work, but from my end, it makes no sense.

Grumblevolcano

@kkslider5552000 The system is not like Bayonetta, focus on varying attacks like using different legions, skills, X-Baton modes. Also using items whether healing when you get hurt or using grenades and drones to keep combos going.

Grumblevolcano

DenDen

@Galenmereth
Whould like to know of you get S+ as well in ultimate.
Its really harder

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

kkslider5552000

That's...not the direction I would've expected at all. Especially item uses like healing, which I'm pretty sure would hurt your score in other Platinum games? This feels like the Wonderful 101 problem, but instead of specific gameplay mechanics, its the grading system that's pointlessly unexplained.

At least I can keep that in mind now. I mean...I guess this is living up the Platinum standard. They finally had non-combat gameplay that I really got into, so they have to do something dumb in order to make sure the game is awesome...but not too awesome.

Honestly, if it wasn't for that and the camera (maybe 30 FPS too), this would be on its way to at least matching Wonderful 101 as my favorite Platinum game.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Grumblevolcano

Interesting. If you get killed but the enemy attack that kills you throws you off a ledge that your sword legion would then save you from, you regain 1 HP after returning to the ledge. Don't know if this is intended or a glitch but it makes some of the harder postgame cases a bit easier.

Grumblevolcano

RR529

Just cleared the main story tonight! Still processing everything, but man was the final boss rough!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic