Forums

Topic: Astral Chain

Posts 281 to 300 of 327

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Oh yeah, forgot about skills. That and using the Axe legion more made the case much easier. I think I may be ready for a Pt. Standard run as I'm getting lots of S+ ranks on file 12 cases.

@scubydo There's 2 things to consider regarding leveling up your legion. Gene codes which are obtained by defeating enemies and material codes which are obtained in a number of ways (completing red cases for the first time, obtaining items at certain places for the first time and completing orders). Replaying files can help particularly if you've missed lots of red cases though legion level isn't the only thing to consider, don't forget to upgrade your X-Baton and Legatus by talking to Tabitha on level B3 of HQ (requires material codes and money).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, I went through about half the game without using skills, until I realized how ridiculously much they impacted combat if you used them. I still hate the fact that ZL+L is one of the skills though, I'm trying hard to get used to the idea of having separate fingers on each shoulder button for this game.

link3710

Galenmereth

Finished the story. Huh. Feels like I got served the pilot to a series. The ending sort of wraps a few threads up but there is just no closure whatsoever. And it doesn’t make much sense with the knowledge I have of the world’s “lore” from playing through it. Maybe there’s more details in the archives, but presented as they are — a file browser with dry text files — I honestly haven’t felt motivated to check yet.

The combat gets better once you have all your legions, I have to concede. There’s a nice flow to it at that point. Camera was still annoying at times, but I learned to deal with it.

The rating system is meaningless. When you go back to previous files (read: chapters), you retain all your upgrades and legions and everything. So getting an S+ might’ve been slightly challenging the first time around on PT Standard, but once you go back, it’s a cakewalk. I suppose then you should move onto PT Ultimate, but then why have the rating system there for the others at all..? I don’t get it. For the record I played through the game on PT Standard and never got a game over.

I can only remember a single musical tune from this game, and that’s the nice hub music. Other than that the entire game is synth guitars and noise. It’s not bad, it’s just not memorable at all. I think NieR: Automata will have me spoiled for a long time on that front.

Overall not a bad game, but nothing special. It’s got tons of style and cool visuals, and combat does eventually feel satisfying.

I’m a massive fan of the aforementioned NieR. It’s one of my favourite games of all times, and like this game, I started out not liking it. But that game redeemed itself on all fronts. This one didn’t.

Visuals: 9
Music: 5
Story: 5
Gameplay: 7
Total: 6.5

Edited on by Galenmereth

Galenmereth

farrow000

On the story playthrough you have 5 hearts but on the aftergame you only have 2. I completed the story no problem on casual mode but getting my ass beaten on the first file on mission 12. I thought okay i'll try lower it to unchained mode to see if i get more hearts but doesn't change.

farrow000

My Nintendo: SW-3219-1520-3721

DenDen

How is everybody doing in file 12?
Im stuck in one of the missions, so In replaying the story missions now on ultimate.

Now playing
Switch : slay the spire, Fire emblem tree Houses, super neptunia RPG (updated 13-0
10-19
Switch fc: SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

link3710

@Galenmereth The rating system is mostly there in PT Standard for beginners to challenge themselves. It's not serious. The lowest rank doesn't even have a rating system (or at least doesn't track them). I don't see an issue with is being there, it's not like it hurts to have it on an easier difficulty, and it actually helps people to learn how the rating system works before going to higher difficulties.

@DenDen I've only played the first mission and "Desk Work...?" so far, I had to take a break to try out Spyro Trilogy. Still, neither of those seemed particularly hard? It's good to know it gets harder.

link3710

RR529

Cleared File 4 yesterday on Pt Standard. Beat the Arm Legion with only having to use one mini-medicine, and then the File's end boss without having to use any items.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Late

Cleared File 4 earlier today. I defeated the boss really fast and I was like, "well, if they gave me S+ from File 3's boss even though I didn't think I earned it, then this should give me the same score". Proceeds to get a D...

I'm more of an explorer when it comes to this game. I search every nook and cranny and try to take photos of every new encounter. I like the slower paced investigation phase and gathering clues but the quizzes have been pretty pointless and boring so far. Sometimes it feels like they straight up give you the answer and then you just have to pick it from the menu. Far from something like Ace Attorney but that clearly wasn't the focus here.

The game certainly wouldn't work if it was only exploration and I'm happy to say I'm enjoying the action too. Not liking the combat was my main concern going in since I don't usually play action games. I'm just scratching the surface of what the combat has to offer. I was a bit overwhelmed from the start and they just keep on adding more options. I've mostly adjusted by now though there are some skills I should use more often. I'm glad they're giving plenty of healing items. I sure need them. Haven't died yet though.

My main problem with this game is that it demands longer play sessions. I wish it let me save whenever I want to but at the same time, I understand why it doesn't. It doesn't help that I'm currently playing multiple other games too and new games are on the horizon like AI: The Somnium Files (Europe gets it on Friday), another game where you work at the police department.

I programmed a simple tool that copies all Switch screenshots from an SD card and places them to folders according to the game:
Link

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

link3710

@Late If it helps, the game does autosave constantly, and you can always check when your last save was. Any time you clear a case it does for certain at least, which is usually about a 10 minute gap at most.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@DenDen Struggling with the R3 cases, though I think the difficulty of File 12 is similar to Bayonetta 2's postgame (Witch Trials) where the difficulty isn't decided by the difficulty you choose but rather the levels themselves have a predetermined difficulty. From what I can tell so far:

R1 = Casual difficulty cases
R2 = Pt. Standard difficulty cases
R3 = Pt. Ultimate difficulty cases

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DenDen

Im in r3 so that explains much haha

Now playing
Switch : slay the spire, Fire emblem tree Houses, super neptunia RPG (updated 13-0
10-19
Switch fc: SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

scubydo

Finally beat the main game. Now to finish up file 12 so I can level up my legions some more and try to finish off the last boss on PtStandard. I had to lower that part to casual.

RPG, FPS, Adventure,Action...oh I like 'em all!

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

scubydo

So, question, was the Akira at the end the real one or just another clone, OR were they all clones and even the protagonist that you play a clone? Because your "birth" is always mentioned as a very mysterious thing by Jena. Almost, as if it was an experiment. Just wondering your thoughts.

RPG, FPS, Adventure,Action...oh I like 'em all!

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Grumblevolcano

@scubydo The database entries give more info on this, particularly Akira's entry (obtained by taking a photo of Akira) and the entries locked behind a password when at the beginning of 2 files you start the file by looking through some database articles.

The password is 1125 by the way, the twins' birthday in US date format, there's no hints towards it so I did a google search.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Snaplocket

@Galenmereth I flat out disagree with you, I think this game is better then Nier and Platinum's best game period.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Galenmereth

@Snaplocket We'll have to agree to disagree on that then. I think the only two things I'd say are better in this game than NieR: Automata is the coherency in visual presentation, and the combat system's core. But even there I'm not sure. The music, story, characters, and gameplay is just inomparably better in NieR: Automata. But — and this is important — the first time I started Automata, I didn't like it. I played for a few hours and really couldn't jell with the combat. However it eventually won me over on a second go with a few day's pause, and its story and true ending is one that has become one of my most treasured gaming experiences, and its music is legendary.

Galenmereth

Snaplocket

@Galenmereth The only thing automata had better was the story. Everything else I feel Astral Chain AND Bayonetta 2 did better. It's pretty obvious from your posts you just aren't a fan of these kinds of action games, since it looks like Neir is the only one you like, from what I gather.

Galenmereth

@Snaplocket I didn't say I don't like their other games, I just think NieR is the best one they've made overall. It is weaker than others in some respects; some in visuals, some in mechanics. But the overall package is in my opinion simply outstanding.

Galenmereth

RR529

Just cleared a couple of stealth sections in File 6, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Snaplocket

@RR529 It really helps that we can go for brute force or bind cops.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic