Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 2,261 to 2,280 of 3,493

Zkibu

Hope this game gets another shot in weekly challenges. I haven't had any time to spare for this game because of ice hockey's world championship tournament started and matches have taken all my spare free time. I am totally back for next week's game.

Edit:
Unless if Finland would win. I would be out of reach

Edited on by Zkibu

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

Lroy

@Zkibu I'm gonna be the same as soon as the World Cup starts. E3 also that first week of the tournament too. June is going to be intense in terms of cramming in as much hobby time as possible, lol!

Edited on by Lroy

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

RetroGamerAndrew

@Lroy come to think, I'll have plenty of time as soon as World Cup begins... Ouch

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

@RetroGamerAndrew Eh? Did your nation not qualify then or something? Think I'm misunderstanding, lol!

mauhlin12

@RetroGamerAndrew Me too. USA couldn't qualify even though CONCACAF is basically free. Not like we're ever going to win a World Cup anyway.

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

mauhlin12

@GrailUK Nice score! 89K was the overall #1 just a few days ago and you and unknown Japanese player sure gave that score a push.

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

GrailUK

@mauhlin12 Ye, it went back and forth which was great

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

OorWullie

@RetroGamerAndrew It'll be strange Italy not being there. They're always among my tips.

As painful as it is for you ,it could be worse. I'm from Scotland and we've been sitting it out since 1998. We've been inventing new ways to not qualify for 20 years.

One game in particular,against Italy as it happens, back in 2007 still pains me to this day. The group of death ,France,Italy and Ukraine ,we should never have come close to getting out that group but somehow after beating France home and away we nearly qualified automatically from it. We just needed to beat Italy at home and the way we'd been playing at home ,we really believed we could . In typical Scottish fashion though we conceded after a minute but we rallied and equalised in the 2nd half . We were well on top after that and looked like we could possibly go and win it,although time was running out.Then an Italian player blatantly fouled our player and somehow the ref awarded Italy a free kick. Of course they scored from this free kick and knocked Scotland out while at the same time sealing their own qualification. Even a draw meant we were still in it,albeit relying on France slipping up.They were away to the Ukraine so it was definitely possible. As it turned out they drew 2v2 which would have been enough anyway. Still ,I'll never forget that ref,one of the worst decisions you'll ever see.

Truth be told though ,it should never have needed to come to the Italy game. If we'd beaten Georgia away in the previous game we'd have already qualified. Again in typical Scottish fashion we lost 2v0. Not helped by the fact our SFA decided it would be a great idea to fly the team out to Georgia at 6pm Thursday evening for a crucial match on the Friday afternoon,in 35 degree heat and at high altitude. Just to make things easier for the team they refused to postpone some league games featuring our players in the days before we flew out.

Apologies for the rant,as I said it still hurts.

Edited on by OorWullie

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

RetroGamerAndrew

@Lroy @mauhlin12 yeah, Italy here... For the first time since 1958 we failed qualification, such a shame

RetroGamerAndrew

Lroy

@RetroGamerAndrew I've been out of the game for years due to England's national side decline. I hadn't even realised Italy and Holland failed to qualify?!!! They are two sides I usually like to support as 'second teams'. What the hell happened to Italy then? Who qualified above them? Who was the coach? What is the standard of Serie A like now in terms of youth development? Was the top league in Europe when I was a big football fan back in the day.

Lroy

@GrailUK Awesome score. You the man!

Zkibu

@OorWullie @RetroGamerAndrew
LOL you guys. Finland has never qualified for the world cup. For France 98 was close, but in the last seconds of the final qualification game we scored an decisive own goal. Goal is legendary and now part of Finnish folklore. Here is a clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmq0OhqvZf4. Atleast five last touches are from Finnish players. I can still feel the utter disappointment and remember my father's total melt down

It is so frustrating to watch how every other Scandinavian country has their chance in the spotlight. Iceland in Euros. Norway is one of the few Countries (might be the only one?) whom Brazil has never beaten and our eternal rivals Sweden is always annoyingly good.

But no I am not bitter. I am just wondering what is like to watch your country to play in World cup. I would never even dare to dream what is like to win it.

Edited on by Zkibu

Zkibu

OorWullie

Just beat my score on Galaga 88 and moved up a place on the open leaderboard. I was at 110k with a fully powered ship and my extra life left. Got hit once then collapsed after that.

Untitled

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

Zkibu

@OorWullie
I know it is pretty funny. It's been 20 years since that "accident" happen and I finally everybody can see the humorous part of it. Even the guy who slipped and got ball straight on the face can laugh about it.

I have seen that Panucci's goal before. Might be some Eurosport clips or such. Absolute heartbreaker indeed. I believe Alan Hutton would be quite mad after the match. Still amazingly good qualification run for Scotland against World Cup finalists and Ukraine.

Edited on by Zkibu

Zkibu

OorWullie

I was thinking maybe we could extend the Terra Cresta challenge for another week to run alongside the new one just for those who haven't had much chance to play it and also to make up for me being late adding it to the leaderboard thread. Providing @GrailUK isn't caught by midnight tonight,and I doubt he will ,he can choose the next game and I'll open the challenge in the leaderboard thread but change the closing date of the Terra Cresta challenge. How does that sound?

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

Zkibu

@OorWullie
Sounds good to me. But I understand if people wans to change the game

Zkibu

OorWullie

@Zkibu We can still change the game like always at midnight tonight but just extend the Terra Cresta open date for 1 more week. We'll have 2 challenges open.

I didn't explain that very well first time

Edited on by OorWullie

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

RetroGamerAndrew

@Lroy
Quality-wise, we're not even the shadow of the team that won in 2006. We did better than we thought in Euro 2016, where we almost reached semi-finals (beating Spain and only losing on penalties to Germany) lead by former Juventus coach A. Conte, but he resigned after the loss (to become Chelsea's manager, as you surely know).
He got substituted by former Torino coach G. Ventura, who did an UTTERLY HORRIBLE job and will probably be remembered for the years to come as one of the WORST (if not THE worst) coach in our national team's history. In the Euro qualifiers we came second place after Spain. At the playoff we got kicked out by Sweden losing 0-1 on first match then drawing 0-0 (two terrible matches).

Now R. Mancini (Citizen fans will remember him) has been signed to be the next coach, I'm still a little skeptical but let's see how well it fares.

@OorWullie
I'm really sorry for that match, and more so because Italy's no. 4 Chiellini is a player I know very well (Juventus F.C. current captain after yesterday's Gianluigi Buffon retirement). I concede it's him fouling first (he's a good center-back, but he's often too rough), I don't know why the line referee didn't help.

@Zkibu
Sorry but that table-tennis-like ricochet is just hilarious

RetroGamerAndrew

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic