Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2023

Posts 81 to 100 of 221

Ralizah

@Vortexeo In fairness, it is the only sub-90s game on Metacritic on that shortlist.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

I think the most interesting category will be Best Sim/Strategy game as Advance Wars and Fire Emblem are both nominated.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Vortexeo

@Ralizah This year was a truly loaded year 😅

@Grumblevolcano Nintendo is really dominating that Sim/Strategy category! Pikmin 4 is nominated there too!

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

Kermit1doesmath

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, they were probably searching for a producer and a director in that time as well as waiting to see the results of the Mario movie.

With something like a Zelda movie, I ain't shocked they took their time looking for a producer and a director since this is a big task and a big franchise.

We might get a small teaser next year at a Direct or something like the Mario movie, I'm pretty sure of that.

dysgraphia awareness human

Matt_Barber

Alan Wake has a Metascore of 94 on Xbox, so it's firmly in the 90+ club on one platform. I'd think it a bit thin on the gameplay compared to the other nominees that I've played, but it's got seriously impressive visuals and one hell of a narrative. That's the category it most deserves, I'd say.

Dave the Diver has predictably been nominated for best indie game, in spite of being made and published by Nexon, a Korean company that's about on a par with Bandai Namco in terms of revenue and market cap. The devs are even on record as saying that they're not an indie. It's not even an Ori situation, where you had an indie studio being published by Microsoft, but a fully owned subsidiary.

Cocoon has also managed to get nominated for best debut indie, in spite of Jeppe Carlsen having previously made Limbo and Inside! Sure, he's technically got a new studio and only some of the people who worked on those games came with him, but I don't think that's in the spirit of the award either.

Between those two, I'm guessing that indie just means "cute game made on a mid budget" these days.

Anyway, my picks:
GotY and everything else it got nominated for - TotK
RPG, Performance and Community Support - Baldur's Gate 3
Narrative and Audio Design - Alan Wake 2
Family and Multiplayer - SMBW
Impact and Mobile - Terra Nil
Fighting and Accessibility - Street Fighter 6
Indie - Cocoon
Debut Indie - Pizza Tower
Sim / Strategy - Fire Emblem Engage (no award for the story though!)

Matt_Barber

Grumblevolcano

My predictions:

• GotY - TotK
  • Best Game Direction - TotK
  • Best Narrative - Baldur's Gate 3
  • Best Art Direction - TotK
  • Best Score and Music - FFXVI
  • Best Audio Design - Hi-Fi Rush
  • Best Performance - Ben Starr as Clive Rosfield (FFXVI)
  • Games For Impact - Tchia
  • Best Ongoing Game - FFXIV
  • Best Independent Game - Sea of Stars
  • Best Mobile Game - Honkai Star Rail
  • Best Community Support - FFXIV
  • Best VR/AR Game - RE Village
  • Innovation in Accessibility - Spider-Man 2
  • Best Action Game - Armored Core VI
  • Best Action/Adventure Game - TotK
  • Best RPG - Baldur's Gate 3
  • Best Fighting Game - SF6
  • Best Family Game - SMB Wonder
  • Best Sports/Racing Game - Hot Wheels Uncharged 2
  • Best Sim/Strategy Game - Pikmin 4
  • Best Multiplayer Game - Party Animals
  • Best Debut Indie Game - Pizza Tower
  • Most Anticipated Game - FFVII Rebirth
  • Best Adaptation - TLoU

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FishyS

I'm happy Mario got so many nominations. I hope it at least wins best family; I would be ok if Pikmin won but I really don't want Disney to. Kind of surprised by 'best multiplayer' for Wonder but it's innovative I suppose.

I see for Mobile instead of always nominating Genshin they picked Honkai, a different HoYoverse game. 🥸

I completed forgot Hades II existed until I saw the most anticipated list but now I am in fact anticipating it.

Random category, but I vote IRONMOUSE for creator of the year. Mainly because I haven't heard of any of the others. 😝

Alan Wake got a ton of nominations! I know literally nothing about that game, I was just surprised to see it get as many nominations as Baldur's Gate (8).

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

NintendoByNature

Definitely some shockers in the nominations. Specifically, RE4. Then in the RPG category, I was surprised to see Lies of p In there and not octopath 2, not that I've played it. I just heard amazing things and I'm fairly certain lies wasn't too much of an rpg and more of a straight action game. Unless I'm mistaken.

NintendoByNature

RR529

Great selection of nominees. I think I would have swapped Resi 4 out for FFXVI in the GOTY category (largely because the former is a remake), but I won't complain.

Really happy for Super Mario Bros Wonder too. It's an absolutely fantastic game, but figured it'd be too "small scale" for a GOTY nomination & am very glad to be proven wrong.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

blindsquirrel

This is one of those weird years where every game that can win GOTY probably deserves it.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

kkslider5552000

It kinda bugs me having RE4 there, because RE4 remake, no matter how good, doesn't need to exist for any reason. If you're gonna have a remake be GOTY, it should probably be something a bit bolder and more interesting than.

This will be very funny to have said when I look back at my favorite games I played this year, I fully admit. But I think it should be Street Fighter 6. Quite frankly, outside of occasionally watching Maximilian Dood, I don't watch fighting game stuff too much but I still heard way more about Street Fighter 6 than RE4 remake, all of which was at least as positive.

Also no matter how good it is, Alan Wake 2 immediately feels like its there because the various other contenders would be too interesting and not AAA-friendly enough. I'm surprised enough people even played it, I didn't think Alan Wake 2 was even THAT popular, like I'm sure it did well but I missed the hype for that almost entirely I guess.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Vortexeo

I was just looking over the nominations again and I'm only now noticing that Hogwarts legacy didn't even get a single nomination for anything

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

Smth2024

looking at the game awards, there… honestly doesn’t seem to be a ton of variety. besides indie games and a few other studios, it’s mostly big names. just something i noticed.

now if you’ll excuse me, i need to have some Sonic Frontiers-flavored copium

I dunno.

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama.

i struggle with self doubt & anxiety sometimes, so please be respectful if my posts aren’t the most positive! ^u^

kkslider5552000

I've not looked through all the individual noms yet but the two immediate Ws for the Game Awards right now is that IronMouse has been nominated for content creator (I can't even remember a content creator I watched being nominated since I wanna say TotalBiscuit).

Also ADVANCE WARS GETS A NOMINATION HECK YEAH. Advance Wars 1 + 2 was a wonderful return to Intelligent Systems' best strategy series, and no amount of pretending its fine it didn't sell well because MAH GRAPHICS while Pokemon is just allowed to sell 20 million for their past couple of games will change that.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Jalex_64

IceClimbers wrote:

@Jalex_64 Starfield would be a controversial inclusion considering it had a more mixed reception compared to other releases like Mario Wonder, Street Fighter 6, Final Fantasy XVI, etc.
General consensus online seems to be that the game simply isn't deserving of a nomination.

True and that's obviously how it played out, which is great. I just felt the the marketing hype around Starfield and lack of Xbox representation would push them to include it, so I'm very happy to be proven wrong here

Jalex_64

Atomic77

In my humble opinion I think The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom will be game of the year no doubt about that. Not much else really stands out. I haven’t really played the other ones listed To really have a opinion.

Atomic77
Nintendo Switch OLED Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Edition Gamer

Kermit1doesmath

wonder what movie stars they'll have this year to cringingly announce the winners.

Al Pachino is 1# and VIn Disael is 2#

dysgraphia awareness human

iLikeUrAttitude

Wait a minute, I hate the game awards!

Untitled

Edited on by iLikeUrAttitude

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Magician

Best Game Direction is usually reserved as "second place" to Game of the Year. TotK will win one and BGIII will win the other. It'll be a bloodbath between the two.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

@Magician Not really, since Best Game Direction's introduction in 2016 there's only been 2 years when the GotY winner didn't also win Best Game Direction:

• 2019 - Sekiro won GotY, Death Stranding won Best Game Direction
  • 2021 - It Takes Two won GotY, Deathloop won Best Game Direction

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic