Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2023

Posts 61 to 80 of 221

Fizza

@Kermit1 If only I could XD

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

I wonder if we get a Zelda movie trailer at the Game Awards. I mean Nintendo's main big holiday push is probably going to be the combo of TotK + SMB Wonder + MK8 Deluxe (wave 6 giving an extra push) + Pokemon Scarlet/Violet (Indigo Disk giving an extra push) so a Zelda movie trailer would probably increase TotK sales further.

I know there was all that speculation about Z R 2023 but it would be odd to release both TotK and a Zelda remake in 2023 leaving nothing for 2024 when you could instead have a Zelda release in both years. So I think the "R" is for reveal, not remake.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kermit1doesmath

@Grumblevolcano if we get anything Zelda movie-related at the TGA it's gonna be either a tiny teaser of the costume (it's still quite early in pre-production so I doubt they would even have the costume ready)
or a cast member reveal(s). I myself am leaning towards the cast member(s) reveal since now that the actor's strike is over they're probably gonna be looking to cast their leads soon.

dysgraphia awareness human

Jalex_64

Alan Wake 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Resident Evil 4
Starfield
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

There's a certain irony about a stellar year like 2023 having such obvious candidates, but it would be incredibly surprising to see any of the above games missing out. Money will probably have its say.

Mario Wonder, in all likelihood is getting snubbed. It simply came too late in the year and Nintendo already has its blockbuster candidate in TOTK. There's no way a 2D Mario gets the nod over any of the heavy hitters listed above in a six horse race, as much as I would love it to be otherwise.

On the plus side, if it's a greater number than six then all bets are off.

I sincerely hope for a Zelda win but expect Baldur's Gate to yet again steal the show, as it did at the GJA's. If nothing else, the nominations announced later should certainly stir debate, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Jalex_64

Grumblevolcano

@Kermit1 I wasn't sure where in the process the movie was like I saw an article about that this has been going on for a decade.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

@Jalex_64 Starfield would be a controversial inclusion considering it had a more mixed reception compared to other releases like Mario Wonder, Street Fighter 6, Final Fantasy XVI, etc.

General consensus online seems to be that the game simply isn't deserving of a nomination.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Vortexeo

The nominees are going to be announced today. Can't wait to see if my predictions were right 😂

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

Grumblevolcano

I'll repost my GotY nominee predictions from the Direct thread:

• TotK
  • SMB Wonder
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • FFXVI
  • RE4 Remake

Of which I think TotK will win.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Ralizah

At this point, I'm fairly convinced BG3 will win. It has more buzz, having released later in the year, hasn't been scrutinized as heavily, and people love an underdog victory.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah I think releasing later in the year gives BG3 a disadvantage, the only Game Awards GotY winner that released in the 2nd half of the year was Dragon Age Inquisition:

• 2014 - Dragon Age Inquisition (November)
  • 2015 - Witcher 3 (May)
  • 2016 - Overwatch (May)
  • 2017 - BotW (March)
  • 2018 - God of War (April)
  • 2019 - Sekiro (March)
  • 2020 - TLoU 2 (June)
  • 2021 - It Takes Two (March)
  • 2022 - Elden Ring (February)

Grumblevolcano

jedgamesguy

With all due respect to Nintendo, if Tears of the Kingdom wins I'm gonna be massively disappointed. It's such a safe pick and the game is so heavily derived from Breath of the Wild that it doesn't feel like a separate game at all. Same thing applies to Spider-Man 2 but to a somewhat lesser extent. FF16 is a blockbuster hit but what did it offer outside the main quest? My vote would go to Baldur's Gate 3 even though I haven't even played it yet, it looks like a much more complete game than TOTK.

Never thought I'd see the day when I'd actively root against Zelda... but just this once lol.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano That's a valid data point to consider. If TotK wins, it'll definitely bolster it.

IceClimbers

The website leaked the nominees for GOTY.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

jedgamesguy

Niiiiiice Nintendo's got a massive hold on the big awards!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Vortexeo

Looks like the nominees are here!

I got 4/6 correct

I was REALLY not expecting Alan Wake II to get up there

Edited on by Vortexeo

Ralizah

@Vortexeo Why? Just because it's digital only, or for some other reason?

Vortexeo

@Ralizah There isn't really a specific reason, I just kind of forgot about it 😅 I was trying to compile all the games that could nominated prior to the announcement, and that one completely slipped my mind lol

Magician

Street Fighter 6 nominated for Best Multiplayer?

wut

In the lobby maybe.

That's this year's headscratcher of a choice. Which journalists picked that nonsense?

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic