Forums

Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Posts 13,481 to 13,500 of 14,348

Twilight_Crow

Happy first weekend of 2014 everypony!

New episode! Rarity is still one of my favorite characters, and I think she is the one with more depth of the mane 6, so I was looking forward to more of her. Unfortunately, I honestly I didn't like Rarity Takes Manehattan much.

I don't think it was terrible, but there were several little things that bother me. Another musical act, though good, I feel it was too soon. Poor Spike was treated really badly, he was the joke all the time, and not of the funny kind. The drama upstaged the comedy, I laughed once, for Celestia's sake. :/ Still, it had its good parts, the joke about musicals was amazing. And it was worth to watch it only for Rarity's expressions and voice acting.

I would like to give a more objective point of view. So Wait for it during the week.

FoTW

First ==Fic of The Week== of the year, yay. I'm gonna make it special by making some announcements besides the usual recommendation.

First, I'd like to announce the rewriting of my favorite MLP Fanfiction in the whole world:
The Empty Room by Wanderer D
[On Fimfiction Dark/Adventure Incomplete Teen]

I have already praised this work a lot, it was the first piece of fan fiction that really captured my imagination and let me see all the potential of the world that Lauren Faust had created. Its author (who I had the fortune of meet in person, a really cool guy) has decided to improve it by going back to it, adding scenes and correcting flaws. Here is his blog post about it. I already have a copy of the original on my computer, so I'm more than happy with this rewrite. If you like following stuff as it's written, like me, you should totally give it a go.

Second: About a year ago (December 8th of 2012 to be precise. (Thank you Aqueous)) I recommended this:
Inner Glory by Erindor
[On Fimfiction Dark/Adventure Complete Teen]

And now it has finally been completed! it is a very deep piece, that I can't recommend enough. The writing may not be extraordinary, but the sole concept of the story and its simplicity, even on the face of the conundrums it presents, make it a must read; specially now that it has been finished. Just download it on your tablet and enjoy.

Finally, for today's recommendation, I found the continuation of last week's Hearth Warming special, and a few other little stories set in the same universe:
Obiter Dicta by GhostOfHeraclitus
[On Fimfiction Slice-of-Life Incomplete Everyone]
Obiter dicta — things said in passing.
A collection of short stories, vignettes, and delete scenes, mostly based in the universe in which there is a Civil Service (Or Civil Serviceverse as the author likes to call it) and tending to be either slice of life or comedy.
At the time of this post it contains:
1. An Afternoon For Dotted Line [slice of life] [comedy]
2. The Game The Princesses Play [comedy]
3. On the Inaccuracy of Proverbs [slice of life] [comedy][sad]
4. The Nature of War [history]

The First story is the continuation of A Canterlot Carol. The rest are just snippets about the world this author has created, and very deep for how short they are.
Splendid writing.

And... well, I was in the mood to post some Twilight and Trixie and I found some sweet art, but I couldn't decide which piece to put here so I thought to myself: Let's put them all. Have a very Twixie New Year!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor, Shall be lifted nevermore!"

"I'll just have to STOP. TIME!" - Twilight Sparkle

Nintendo Network ID: Twilight_Crow

sugarpixel

Oh poo, there was a new episode today... and the Rarity one, too...! D:

...I guess I'll just watch it on Sunday like I usually end up doing...

Twitter | ko-fi | YouTube | Backloggery

Add me on Nintendo Switch! SW-5806-7479-1875

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

Lunapplebloom

I must say that I rather enjoyed today's episode. I would go as far as to say that this was one of the best of the season for me.

the pacing was great, the song was great (not up with the best, but better than anything else this season.), and the story was great as well. The only problem I had with it was that Spike was the spectacle of the jokes like Twilight_Cow mentioned. He can be used a little for comedic purposes, but here it was like he was treated unfairly with everything going wrong for him. I didn't laugh a great deal this episode (though the musical cue from Rainbow Dash was priceless, and Applejack's blunt truth telling was also up there. Oh Applejack... Don't ever change. ), it doesn't make or break the episode in my opinion. The story was solid enough for there not to be as many. So anyways, if it wasn't for Spike's portrayal here, I would rate it a lot higher. But as it stands, this episode really expanded the knowledge of Equestria for me with finally seeing Manehattan more. Oh, and Coco Pommel is best assistant pony.

@CorporalPegasus I would be interested to see how a series like that would have worked out actually.

@Twilight_Crow nice recommendations there. I look forward to reading the full revision of WandererD's work. And cute pics.

@Gioku here is a linkif you like to the episode, and anyone else who may need it.

And more Button Mash. I love how it was made to fit.

Like: Sonic, Yoshi, Link, and Samus
My Appleloggery and Youtube
PSN ID: sonicwildfire
Previously Applejacklove
Discostew: "I am the terror that trots in the night!...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9557-7319 | Nintendo Network ID: sonicwildfire07 | Twitter:

sugarpixel

My Adventures With MLP Products

So we (meaning me, my mom, and my little sister) went to Target today, so my sister (and I) could spend our Christmas money. We ended up spending quite a bit of time looking at the MLP stuff, and... first thing I notice is this:
Untitled
I just... I can't... what is this?! This isn't Fluttershy... I mean, I already knew I disliked the things, but... now that I've seen them up close it's just like WTF... Fluttershy has never looked like this...! lol I can't even explain what it is wrong about them, haha. I think their foreheads are too big or something.
I'm just so creeped out by them! They scare me...
Anyway, right next to that were these:
Untitled
And these are just awesome! For $12.99, I couldn't pass them up~
...If only all MLP figures were this high of quality! I love 'em (helps that I'm a big fan of Apple Bloom and co.)

However, even after going on about how much I disliked the Equestria Girls dolls, and after telling her not to get them... my sister picked up the Pinkie Pie doll. ._.

And then, later, she tells me "I've got two of them", and I look down, and... she's got Rainbow Dash. .-.
So now we've got two of these things in the house!
The upside is, though, that I am spared the atrocious Fluttershy one, hahaha! And at least I got the awesome miniature ones, too~

Concerning the new episode:

So this is why I like Rarity so much!
...that one pony really got on my nerves though, m'kay? ()
I really liked this one! Like, more so than usual! ...probably 'cause it was all about Rarity, though!
Everything felt right about it. I loved it!

...and, I found this in some random YouTube comment, but some random guy on YouTube can't be the only one to have come up with this... right?
Well anyway, I'll expand upon his idea:
So, several of the episodes have had odd, cliffhanger-ish endings; the ones that come to mind at the moment are Fluttershy's fangs and the little rainbow thread at the end of this one.
Remember the box? The one with all the locks? They'll be needing "keys", right?

...what if...?

Edited on by sugarpixel

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

Aqueous

@Twilight_Crow - You're most welcome. I also see a trend of the empty room being posted once a year

Guest on NFR 57: http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/category/episode-57/

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0600-1156 | Nintendo Network ID: AqueousDoubt | Twitter:

Lunapplebloom

@Gioku Thanks for sharing your experience. Congrats on getting the mini figurines. They are really the best as far as miniatures go that aren't that expensive. Sorry to hear about the dolls making it into your home though.

@Aqueous Well, when it's one of the best stories, why not.

And I couldn't help but laugh at this one.
Untitled

Like: Sonic, Yoshi, Link, and Samus
My Appleloggery and Youtube
PSN ID: sonicwildfire
Previously Applejacklove
Discostew: "I am the terror that trots in the night!...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9557-7319 | Nintendo Network ID: sonicwildfire07 | Twitter:

CorporalPegasus

@Lunapplebloom Not to mention she also turned a frog into an living frog-orange mutation! (Sure it was part Pinkie's fault, but still...)

@Gioku Just remember to make sure these Equestria Girly abominations don't burn down your house while you are asleep. These thing are evil. And those minifigs do look neat. They always seem to forget AJ's hat though...

Also Coco Pommel is abdorable.
Untitled

IGOR!

sugarpixel

@CorporalPegasus: Hahaha, oh yes, I have already explained how you can see the evil in their eyes, lol.

...oh, and Coco Pommel (despite being a minor character) is a new favorite of mine! ...I'm a sucker for cute things, and she's really cute! :3

Discostew

While there have been a few episodes this season already that were kinda iffy, this episode is considered part of my highly rated ones, and it was a long awaited Rarity episode people wanted. It also puts into perspective her element of Generosity, considering many times in the past I've questioned why she had it in the first place. I knew from the moment that when Suri Polomare was getting all friendly with Rarity that something bad was going to happen (didn't we all?). I think what was nice about this episode too was that there was no revenge on Suri Polomare, as it has been with many of the antagonists, because payback just doesn't pay. Coco reminds me of Fluttershy without the shy part. Wonder if she'll make appearances later on. Overall, one of my favorites for this season. And - I remember why I liked Applejack so much. Such an honest friend! Sorry Pinkie, but you kinda got pushed back to 2nd from tying with AJ for first now. 4DE (or whoever is doing it) better get to working on an AJ plushie soon! One interesting thing I found out is that Coco is voiced by the same person that voices Spike. How's that for surprising?

@Gioku .....and those are living with you?!?!? Don't take your eyes off them for a second, no matter how hideous they look. Turn your back for one second, and WHAM!......We don't want to see you go missing.

@Lunapplebloom Yay! Friendship!.....though I think she's going after Discord's job in secret.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

sugarpixel

So, Pinkie Pie I think is suffering from what I like to refer to as "Potsie Weber Syndrome".
So with Potsie (a main character from the TV show Happy Days in case you didn't know), he started out as a normal enough person. He was... maybe a bit on the stupid side, but he was alright. As the series progressed, though, he slowly became stupider and stupider, to the point where he just became completely incompetent.
I've seen a similar change take place with Pinkie Pie. I don't remember her being... quite as "weird" as she is now originally, haha. She started out normal enough... maybe a bit on the crazy side. But now... she's extremely over-the-top with her craziness, haha.

SheldonRandoms

@Gioku Just like Cosmo
Untitled

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

CorporalPegasus

@Gioku Yeah, she did get more silly over time. Still, she never went full insane like Party Of One since Season 1, so she was really weird from the start.

@SheldonRandoms Oh glob i watched that show so much years ago. Memories
And uuuuh this picture seems like something you'd like
Untitled

IGOR!

sugarpixel

@SheldonRandoms: Oh yes, I loved Fairly Odd Parents when I was younger!
...sadly, the quality of it seems to have gone down the toilet recently...
...unlike SpongeBob, which I still enjoy to this day!
...but still, Nickelodeon just can't seem to recapture the magic they had in the 1990's to mid 2000's... that was the golden age of nicktoons... now... SpongeBob is the one last thing I enjoy from them (and old Fairly Odd Parents reruns).

@CorporalPegasus: apparently it's fun to put Squidward's face on things, lol. I literally watched someone photoshopping Squidward's face onto Pikachu yesterday during animation class, lol.

Aqueous

I finally watched the Rarity episode. I have a suspicion of where the keys are to be found or at least how, I'm going to wait and see though.

Guest on NFR 57: http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/category/episode-57/

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0600-1156 | Nintendo Network ID: AqueousDoubt | Twitter:

sugarpixel

Did anyone read my thoughts on the keys, and how I think the keys might not be keys at all...? ...and that they're already getting collected...?

CorporalPegasus

I still dont have a clue. All these cliffhangers dont really seem to have anything in common so far 0_0 I do think Hasbro already spoiled what is in the box with their sticker sheets and toys though.

IGOR!

Twilight_Crow

Aaah! I wrote this yesterday but totally forgot to post it. So, yeah, Rarity Takes Manehattan. It was a good episode, some may say even great. Great pacing, coherent plot, kept the high standard animation, had amazing expressions and voice acting for Rarity, a lovely setting, nice new ponies and a decent song with a sweet reprise. And yet, I simply didn't enjoyed it much, it even bored me a bit :/.

After watching again and listen to other opinions, I can see how good it really is. The drama is well used and we see a more real problem that anyone could understand: 'When you are generous people sometimes take advantage of you'. This is a very good theme, and the lesson: 'You should keep being generous because most people will be grateful and like you for it' is indeed very nice. The fact that the important situations were so meticulously written made it very credible. Rarity got mad after being betrayed, like anyone would. Her friends got mad when they were morally forced to work on Rarity's new dresses, like anyone would. None of them was being noble or right. In the end it was Rarity who felt the need to apologize, but her friends didn't because, even if they were a little selfish wanting to go see a play instead of helping a friend in need, in the end they did help... and Rarity was so over the top that the only reason her friends didn't get mad, was because they simply knew her and understood that she is not perfect yet, her virtues overlap her defects. This episode is one more prove that Rarity is indeed the deepest of the mane 6 characters, and I am happy she is treated this way is her episodes.

As you see this is clearly something well written, maybe too well written for my tastes. For me it was completely predictable, from the beginning to the end; including how they were going to use Rarity's Drama Queen personality with her generosity backlash, that she was going to think her friends had abandoned her when they hadn't, the fact she had actually won the competition, Coco Pommel rectifying that to her, etc, etc. Really, this is a trope used to the t. For me it was too straight forward, no surprises, not enough comedy to shake things a bit, and poor Spike being treated like a joke, without being funny in the slightest, didn't help the episode either.

This is the second episode that I didn't really considered bad, but simply didn't like much, the first being Apple Family Reunion; this one is better though, so I really understand why so many people really liked it. I did enjoy some parts of it, and I can rewatch it and admire the great animation, voices, etc. So, is just my taste and everything is right with season 4 so far.

Just one thing I just don't understand at all. What is it with Coco Pommel? Really, for me is just your average new design for a one episode pony (which are always good), but everypony insists she is the cutest thing ever or something, what the heck?

@Gioku I believe that there have been and will be episodes with a nod in the end that means something important, maybe the keys as you mentioned. But maybe the writers decided to put random nods at the end of many episodes to conceal the ones that are part of a bigger arc.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor, Shall be lifted nevermore!"

"I'll just have to STOP. TIME!" - Twilight Sparkle

Nintendo Network ID: Twilight_Crow

sugarpixel

Twilight_Crow wrote:

Just one thing I just don't understand at all. What is it with Coco Pommel? Really, for me is just your average new design for a one episode pony (which are always good), but everypony insists she is the cutest thing ever or something, what the heck?

I think Coco Pommel is really cute! :3
And like I said earlier, I'm a sucker for cute things, and she's definitely cute! ...this is the same reason why I love the Cutie Mark Crusader-focused episodes more than usual.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.