Forums

Topic: Double Dash (2003) vs Mario Kart 8 (2014) - Which is better?

Posts 1 to 16 of 16

iPunch_Very_Hard

Which is better?

IMO I think MK8 is more about graphics, less about Gameplay. Whereas Double Dash is all about innovation, super tight controls and fast-paced action. 200 cc is MK 8's only saving grace. The lack of a proper battle mode disappoints me.

***KO POWER***

iKhan

I think Double Dash is the epitome of great ideas with poor execution. Yes, the karts have two people, but the person in the back hardly does anything.

The character specific specials were cool, but they removed items from the standard rotation to do so. Furthermore, no new items were created that were available to ALL characters. Last, there wasn't much balance. DK's special item was basically garbage compared to the Baby's special. All of this really becomes a problem when you consider that more than one player cannot choose the same character in Mario Kart. So when you are playing multiplayer, you essentially have a "first come first serve" race to the best characters.

Although Battle mode is amazing, as it avoids many of these problems.

Mario Kart Wii is my favorite in the series, but since you asked about 8, I think it's a really solid entry. The controls and mechanics are really solid. I just wish the game supported vertical split screen and that the coin mechanic would go die in a hole.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iPunch_Very_Hard

"and that the coin mechanic would go die in a hole."

Yes I agree. It makes gameplay less fun and cheapens the experience because your focusing on getting coins rather than trying to find the best routes/technique.

***KO POWER***

Octane

Both are my favourite entries in MK series. I think I like Mario Kart 8 more though..

Octane

DefHalan

The only reason I love Double Dash is the fact that my brother and I played that game like crazy. We even got the Gold Trophy on the All Cup mode.

I do think Mario Kart 8 is the better game mechanically. And I also enjoy the coins mechanic. It adds more to taking turns than just taking the tightest turn possible. It makes we have to choose if it is worth it to collect those coins, or take a tighter turn.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Grumblevolcano

I'd say 8 is better in all ways except the character roster and battle mode.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

veeflames

MK8 by far.
The question was a bit tough, though... because I absolutely adore Double Dash. I guess MK8 is easier to play than DD. Not to mention MK8 has the definitive version of Baby Park.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

RR529

Why the competition between these two games specifically?

Because MK8 is the newest, and DD is what the OP started with (as GC era kids in general are starting to be the majority users here)?

...Or, are these two generally considered the best (an overall concensus I haven't noticed before)?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

iKhan

@RR529: DD is a fan favorite (and I don't know why)

MK8 is the newest, and because Nintendo's console isn't doing well, the most vocal fanbase you see on the internet is the fanbase that enjoys the Wii U and it's games a lot and thus want to defend them.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

gcunit

I haven't actually played DD (though I do have it in my GameCube collection), but MK8 is quite possibly my favourite game ever.

Don't dismiss MK8's USP as 'graphics' though, because the effort into the visual flair of MK8 deserves particular praise, and the graphical flourishes show such attention to detail and attention to 'fun' that the game really serves as a tribute to the Mushroom Kingdom series of characters. My eyes have an orgasm every time I play it, and the highlights reels never get old.

MK8 is the best combination of simple fun gameplay and beautiful presentation that I can think of - no other game has made me think of it as 'special' to the same extent.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Blue_Blur

I gotta go with Double Dash, but MK8 is easily my second favorite. I have lots of memories playing Double Dash with my brother, which was always really fun. While playing by myself, I loved having the option to pick two characters (even though I always ended up choosing Luigi first (and still do), I still like being Toad, Baby Luigi, Baby Mario, King Boo, etc.) I also liked the special items each pair of characters got, except I wish the King Boo and Petey got their own special, since being able to use all specials was OP. The courses were very creative, and had great designs, in my opinion. I also liked how the karts symbolized the characters, and not just a random bike or car design. I also find the CPU's to be much tougher, and cheap in DD, but more challenge, the better!

For MK8 though, I'm glad they got rid of the weight class, if you customized your vehicle correctly. The music is outstanding, but I'm not a fan of the flame-hopping technique (I think it should be patched, even though it never will be). The coin mechanic is somewhat annoying when trying to get a helpful item, but is very helpful when you're not in first, making it easier to get back in first place. I didn't like the course designs as much as Double Dash's, and the battle mode... we all know it's lackluster compared to Double Dash.

If MK8 had a two player mode like Double Dash, I would easily favor MK8, even with the flame-hopping and coin mechanic. But that's not the case, so Double Dash still has a special place in my heart, and is still my favorite Mario Kart. The two player is just too much fun!

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Freeon-Leon

Better? MK8. Beautiful, fun and has a really nice online mode. Battle mode is a bit of a mess though..

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

LzWinky

iPunch_Very_Hard wrote:

Which is better?

IMO I think MK8 is more about graphics, less about Gameplay.

...wut?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

cheetahman91

I will have to go with MK8, since it has better courses.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Freeon-Leon

@TingLz: I've got a group of friends who feel that way about MK8, so they prefer to play MK64. Nostalgia can be really blinding.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Rumorlife

iKhan wrote:

I think Double Dash is the epitome of great ideas with poor execution. Yes, the karts have two people, but the person in the back hardly does anything.

The character specific specials were cool, but they removed items from the standard rotation to do so. Furthermore, no new items were created that were available to ALL characters. Last, there wasn't much balance. DK's special item was basically garbage compared to the Baby's special. All of this really becomes a problem when you consider that more than one player cannot choose the same character in Mario Kart. So when you are playing multiplayer, you essentially have a "first come first serve" race to the best characters.

Although Battle mode is amazing, as it avoids many of these problems.

Mario Kart Wii is my favorite in the series, but since you asked about 8, I think it's a really solid entry. The controls and mechanics are really solid. I just wish the game supported vertical split screen and that the coin mechanic would go die in a hole.

That's it. That's the whole thing. Board closed.
Jk but rly I 100% agree. Also the controls are like driving on an ice rink where the car wants to inherently drift even if you didn't ask it to. I had a lot of fun with it when it was the current game but it's probably my 2nd least favorite Mario Kart in hindsight, just ahead of MKDS. I still don't like the Sherbert Land reduex on WiiU, and in MKWii and 7, I'm not especially drawn toward the Double Dash retro courses either. Yoshi Circuit is really good with online in MK8 though.

Rumorlife

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.