Update [Tue 25th Oct, 2022 11:55 BST]: It's almost here! Dead Cells' Boss Rush mode should be up and live on Switch tomorrow, October 26th. The developer has been working hard on getting yet another free update ship-shape for console owners, and we don't have to wait much longer at all.
Some of the new features coming alongside the Boss Rush mode are a new customisable statue, a new ranged weapon, a new skill, a new mutation, and eight more outfits.
Here's a rundown of all of the updates from the Dead Cells website:
New game mode: Boss Rush!
There is a new area, accessible through the basement door in Prisoner's Quarters where you access the Training Room and the Tailor. Once you've gone through the basement door, just follow the corridor until you come to the third door with the red boss head next to it.
Through this door, you'll find another 4 doors, leading to 4 different stages where you will fight:
- 3 Bosses
- 3 Bosses with Modifiers
- 5 Bosses
- 5 Bosses with Modifiers
The bosses are randomly selected from the following tiers:
Tier 1 - Concierge, Conjunctivius, Mama Tick
Tier 2 - Time Keeper, The Giant, The Scarecrow
Tier 3 - Hand of the King, The Servants (just the final fight, not the entire tower!), The Queen
The stages with 3 bosses back-to-back will pit you against one Tier 1 boss, then one Tier 2 and finally, you guessed it, one Tier 3. Simple!
The stages with 5 bosses follow a similar path, but here you'll be fighting two Tier 1 bosses, then two Tier 2s, then one Tier 3. Not quite so simple...
- Added new Bosses Modifiers
In the door 2 and 4 of the Boss Rush, you will fight Bosses with Modifiers, which means we've given them even more ways to kick your ass. Think extra limbs, healing powers, buddies to help them kill you. All the good stuff!
- New customizable Statue
You've got a fan, and they're making a statue of you! Unlock statue parts as you progress through the Boss Rush, and use them to make your own customized sculpture
- New Ranged Weapon: Glyphs of Peril - The lower your health, the more attacks this weapon has in its combo (up to 7 hits). Crits from the third hit onwards.
- New Skill: Taunt - Enrage the enemy right in front of you, causing them to attack and move quicker, but also take more melee damage.
- New Mutation: Wish- Wish for a great item and you'll get it! The next one you pick will be upgraded to Legendary quality. Only one use, and this mutation get locked in your loadout once it triggers, though.
- 8 new Outfits, unlocked through the Boss Rush.
- Balancing -
New/updated Legendary affixes:
- Spartan Sandals: Super Bump (New affix: greatly increases the knockback of the weapon)
- Oil Sword: Oil on Kill (New affix: spreads oil on the ground on kill)
- Flint: Instant Charge (New affix: all attacks are fully charged without needing to hold the button)
- Katana: Deflect Bullets (New affix: all uncharged attacks deflect bullet (but not grenades))
- Killing Deck: Random Effect (New affix: every card applies a random debuff on targets)
- Money Shooter: Pay to win (New affix: refund the shot's cost if it kills a target + innate super pierce. Can trigger multiple times if a shot kills several enemies.)
- Bump Shield: Super Bump
- Shockwave: Super Bump
- Pollo Power: Miracle of Life (New affix: eggs hatch into chicks that attack nearby enemies)
- Graphics & UI -
- Added a quick loading screen when using Return Stones.
- Bug fixes -
- Fixed Rapier and Meat Skewer not hitting small enemies.
- Fixed the player not teleporting when falling into the Lighthouse fire with Gold Plating equipped.
- Fixed Auto-Hit disabling itself while in Custom Mode
- Fixed the "Curses leave you with 1HP instead of killing you" Custom Mode option showing up when not unlocked.
- Fixed Legendary Affixes duplicating themselves when on Symmetrical Lance
- Fixed "Curses leave you with 1HP instead of killing you" Custom Mode option working only once per run. It will now trigger every 45 seconds.
- Fixed a crash when using Porcupack on a Thorny.
- Fixed Shop Mimic keeping aggro even when the player was Invisible.
- Fixed players with curses getting locked out of their weapons after completing the Bank Platforming Challenge.
- Arrow Affixes and Grenade Affixes now properly scale with item damage multipliers. Update 31.1
For more info on this latest free update, check out our original story below...
Original article [Wed 5th Oct, 2022 17:45 BST]: Developer and publisher Motion Twin has detailed its next major free update for Dead Cells, which adds a much-requested new Boss Rush mode.
Launching on PC today and later this month for consoles, the Boss Rush mode "adds a new layer of challenge to Dead Cells by daring players to fight bosses one after another, in progressively more difficult stages".
It's yet another free update for a game that simply keeps on giving, having launched the equally hefty 'Enter the Panchaku' update just last month.
Here's some further info from Motion Twin:
"Bosses will be randomly selected from three different tiers, increasing in difficulty from the first to the third. In stages with three bosses, players will face one boss from each tier. Stages with five bosses will pit players against two ‘tier one’ bosses, two ‘tier two’ bosses, and then one ‘tier three’ boss.
As if that wasn’t challenging enough, modifiers have also been introduced. Variety is the spice of life, and in this case, can be the end of yours. Modifiers give bosses all kinds of neat power-ups, like extra limbs, healing powers, and buddies who also want to kill you…
It’s important to note that players will only encounter bosses who they’ve already met. New players won’t be forced to contend with end-game bosses. Phew.
Naturally, there are some pretty sweet rewards for going through this punishment. Depending on which stage is beaten, the difficulty it’s beaten on, and whether or not any damage was taken, players will get some pretty impressive swag. A new weapon, skill and mutation await the victor, as well as 6 snazzy skins and a customizable statue."
We'll share the final release date for the Switch launch as soon as we learn more from Motion Twin.
Are you looking forward to diving into Dead Cells' Boss Rush mode? Rush on over to the comments below and let us know!