Pokémon that first appeared in Pokémon Sword and Shield's Galar region will soon be available in Pokémon GO, Niantic has announced.
The new arrivals are landing in the game as part of the app's final Ultra Unlock event; called 'Part 3: Sword and Shield', the event will star the debuts of two Galar Legendaries, Zacian and Zamazenta. As you'll spot in the trailer above, the new Pokémon are appearing in-game thanks to the mysterious mischief of the Mythical Pokémon Hoopa, who also had a starring role in the recent Pokémon GO Fest 2021.
Other Galar Pokémon are set to appear too, including Skwovet, Greedent, Wooloo, Dubwool, and Falinks. Shiny Galarian Meowth, Shiny Galarian Farfetch’d, Shiny Galarian Weezing, and Shiny Galarian Stunfisk can also be found – if you're lucky.
Here's a rundown of the new Part 3: Sword and Shield event:
Date + Time
Friday, August 20, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Tuesday, August 31, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time
- Skwovet and Wooloo will be appearing more frequently in the wild! You can also look forward to finding Galarian Darumaka, Trubbish, and more! If you’re lucky, you might encounter Falinks!
- The following Pokémon will be hatching from 7 km Eggs: Galarian Meowth, Galarian Ponyta, Galarian Slowpoke, Galarian Farfetch’d, Galarian Zigzagoon, Galarian Darumaka, and Galarian Stunfisk.
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Galarian Meowth, Shiny Galarian Farfetch'd, Shiny Galarian Weezing, or Shiny Galarian Stunfisk! See below for when some of these Pokémon will be appearing in raids during the event.
- Complete event-exclusive Timed Research for a chance to encounter Pokémon first discovered in the Galar region!
- Get themed Field Research tasks from PokéStops. If you complete Field Research, you may encounter Skwovet, Wooloo, or Falinks.
- Starting on Thursday, August 19, 2021, at 3:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), uniforms that appear in the Galar region will be available as avatar items in Pokémon GO! Pick up the Gym Challenger Uniform avatar item for free, which is worn by Pokémon Trainers challenging Gyms in the Galar region. If you want to show off your Dragon-type or Dark-type pride, you can purchase Dragon-Type Sport Uniform and Dark-Type Sport Uniform avatar items in the shop.
- Starting on Friday, August 20, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. local time, event-exclusive Gift stickers will also be available! Pick them up in the shop or by spinning Photo Discs at PokéStops and Gyms.
In addition, you can look forward to challenging different Pokémon in raids during each week of the event.
Week 1 raids
The following Pokémon will be appearing in raids from Friday, August 20, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Thursday, August 26, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. local time.
- Galarian Slowpoke, Galarian Farfetch’d, Unown U, and Galarian Zigzagoon will be appearing in one-star raids. If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Galarian Farfetch'd or a Shiny Unown U!
- Galarian Weezing, Lapras, and Falinks will be appearing in three-star raids. If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Galarian Weezing!
- Zacian in its Hero of Many Battles form will be appearing in five-star raids. You can also look out for a Raid Hour event featuring Zacian happening on Wednesday, August 25, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time.
- Mega Beedrill will be appearing in Mega Raids. Mega Evolve Beedrill for an advantage against Zacian in its Hero of Many Battles form!
Week 2 raids
The following Pokémon will be appearing in raids from Thursday, August 26, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Wednesday, September 1, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. local time.
- Galarian Meowth, Galarian Ponyta, Unown U, and Galarian Darumaka will be in one-star raids.
- Snorlax, Galarian Stunfisk, and Falinks will be appearing in three-star raids.
- Zamazenta in its Hero of Many Battles form will be appearing in five-star raids. Look out for a Bonus Raid Hour featuring Zamazenta happening on Monday, August 30, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time.
- Mega Pidgeot will be appearing in Mega Raids. Mega Evolve Pidgeot for an advantage against Zamazenta in its Hero of Many Battles form!
Will you be adding these new Galar 'mon to your Pokédex? We're just happy to see Wooloo again, to be honest.
Whilst this is neat, I anticipate we'll go through the usual faff of "here's a new legendary, we gave it a bad moveset so it's not viable in trainer or raid battles, come back next year when we give it a new forme / moveset".
The only good thing to come out of Sw/Sh were the Pokemon. I might finally get into Go just to have a Frosmoth and Falinx to play with on my phone.
Now that I think about it, we're skipping Gen 7 for some reason.
No Alolan Pokémon, not counting the Alolan regional variants or Meltan.
@RupeeClock As a fan of the mainline series who also plays go, I have long since given up on questioning how they have released different things in go.
I understand why they've done things this way.
They can promote Sword and Shield for sale, but they can't promote the 3DS games any longer.
And this is the usual drip-feeding of releasing as little content as possible because they will run out of stuff to release otherwise.
All Galarians shinies will be raid only. No thanks.
@RupeeClock I have 2 ideas behind that:
1. Niantic devs didn't like SMUSUM
2. Niantic devs play VGC and are sick of Inceneroar and want to keep it out of the game as long as possible. Lol
Not logical reasons but amusing ones. For me. Lol
Have they even finished releasing all the other pokemon from the previous gens yet?
I gave up questioning the reasoning behind Niantic's Pokemon releases ages ago. Seems weird they're skipping a lot of Gen 7 outside the regional variants. Heck, I don't think they've even released all Gen 6 'Mon yet. XD
@UltimateOtaku91 No they have not released kecklion yet.
I’m going to wait this one out until Niantic brings back the extended PokéStop distance and incense effectiveness. COVID isn’t over and those changes helped reduce its spread as well as being beneficial to disabled people. These Legendaries will come back so I am not in a hurry. I might do them with free remote raid passes but I am not spending money.
Tap here to load 11 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...